Luggage type.

Hi all, on the topic of luggage, does anyone use packing cubes, and if so what brands. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IKEA has really good packing cube sets for about $7.50. Cheap but really good.

I buy a different colour for each family member. Roll clothes and use rubber bands to keep them rolled.

Good to know about the packing cubes at Ikea.

If you are going to Peters of Kensington then there is generally street parking on the street one back from Anzac Parade behind Peters.

I know. I spent half an hour driving up and down that street one day. :mad: I ended up parking a very long way away, which wasn't much fun as what I was buying was very heavy. These days I just don't bother. I can find what I want online or at sales without the hassle.

IKEA has really good packing cube sets for about $7.50. Cheap but really good.

I buy a different colour for each family member. Roll clothes and use rubber bands to keep them rolled.

Thats a great idea ...TFS :)

In regards to Peters ....another idea is to register for their warehouse emails ...we bought luggage there at super bargain rates good quality brands...Samsonite, Paklite etc. You hv to keep an eye on the emails as the stock at the warehouse varies a lotand differs to the main store. Parking is easier at the warehouse vs main store.

Re OP I would try the sales before buying luggage at Paddys as the quality is not great esp in durability.

When cruising I like using my cubes as they help keep things wrinkle free. usually I just unzip then and pop them straight into the drawer. I also like the folded shirt holders again it says on ironing once on board... No perfect but enough to drop out by the time they are worn. I have to say I throw them in the bottom of the bag when re packing to come home to save on space and generally they go straight in the wash.

I'm a bare essentials type of packer. I have a two cabin sized cases, one hard, the other soft. I find the hard one much easier to pack. I use cubes and have found zip lock bags invaluable for vaccuum packing undies etc.

I like 4 wheeled cases as they are much easier on hard surfaces, and can be pulled outside on rougher terrain.

I use packaging cubes for underwear, socks and t-shirts. I buy them from Kathmandu in various sizes. They quite often have a sale on 3 for the price of 2.

I also recommend the packing cubes from Kathmandu. Hubby and I have 2 each (I think we have 3 large and 1 medium in total). We roll all items of clothing and it's amazing how much you can actually pack into each cube. Once we're at our destination or we're onboard the ship and in our cabin, we just hang the clothes that need to be hung in the wardrobe and the casual clothes remain in the cubes until we need them.

Thanks mate, yes we knew about the sale at our local Strandbags and settled on a pair of Samsonite B'Lite extra bags.

Its been a real workout for my computer doing all the research but worth it in the end.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I love our bag combos, we both have a soft sided samsonite spinner which is great for walking long distances though airports or ports, we walked all the way from the opera house side of circular quay to the dock wheeling these and it was super easy. We also both have a soft sided bowling bag style carryon, which also has a strap on the side that loops over the suitcase handle and it sits on top nicely. This bag also has a pull out handle and wheels on one end so once onboard I can wheel it behind me. So no need to carry and heavy bags around.

I'll also add that buying brightly coloured bags was the best thing I ever did, so easy to spot on the carousel or in the baggage claim at the port. I have a bright teal and hubby's is electric blue. I look at all the black and navy bags and wonder how people can tell them apart!

Edited by Jacs

I love our bag combos, we both have a soft sided samsonite spinner which is great for walking long distances though airports or ports, we walked all the way from the opera house side of circular quay to the dock wheeling these and it was super easy. We also both have a soft sided bowling bag style carryon, which also has a strap on the side that loops over the suitcase handle and it sits on top nicely. This bag also has a pull out handle and wheels on one end so once onboard I can wheel it behind me. So no need to carry and heavy bags around.

I'll also add that buying brightly coloured bags was the best thing I ever did, so easy to spot on the carousel or in the baggage claim at the port. I have a bright teal and hubby's is electric blue. I look at all the black and navy bags and wonder how people can tell them apart!

Those Combo type bags are great when they are well built, bot so great when they are put together cheap.

Those Combo type bags are great when they are well built, bot so great when they are put together cheap.

It doesn't matter what the top bag is as long as it fits on top properly and has something to loop over the handle to hold it in place. It is important to have a good wheeled bag - spinner or two-wheeled - as the base.

I paint a two-coloured logo on our bags. In three places on each bag. It makes them very easy to identify. I use artists oil paint which takes a few weeks to dry properly but stays bright.