How do you get a discount on a cruise reservation?

GordonJasmine

After sailing over 20 times, I have never gotten a discount after booking another cruise. I've read posts on here from people who have. I'd be so grateful to know how that is done. Does your TA find them or do you have to do something yourself to find them?

After sailing over 20 times, I have never gotten a discount after booking another cruise. I've read posts on here from people who have. I'd be so grateful to know how that is done. Does your TA find them or do you have to do something yourself to find them?

You pretty much have to find them yourself and then call your TA. The price doesn't always tell the whole story....because a lower price fare may not include the perks you currently have. I've found that about 75% of the time, the dollars for the equivalent cabin and perks works out to pretty much what I'm already paying.

10 day cruise...last week's price $1600 a person with free gratuities....this weeks price $1475 a person but no free gratuities. It's a marketing shell game :)

There are benefits of booking a future cruise while onboard - reduced deposit, on-board $ credit, free beverage package, etc. Check Celebrity Captains Club section for additional $ promos.

Second, on an existing booking, before final payment date, check website prices regularly to see if a temporary discount is started like state of residency, senior rate, occupational (teacher, EMS, military) or guaranty rate. Then decide if new discount offer is attractive and adjust your booking.

Be aware of the best pricing periods such as May or Sept for Alaska. 1st 2 weeks of Dec. for Caribbean.

The more 'informed' you become, the better the opportunities. Good Luck

Also be aware that different lines operate differently. You seem to have cruised NCL mostly and their system is probably different from X. We have always found that booking on board gives us the best deals, with price and perks. We check what we want before we board so we know what cabin we would like and then see what the Future Cruise desk can do for us.

Hope you enjoy X.

Many travel websites will give you prices without completing a reservation or getting an online quote. Do a "false" reservation and you get a price. Always look to see what this price does and doesn't include. (perks, port charges, gratuities...) Can't indicate the "best" sites here.

As far as I know, travel agencies can't sell a cruise cheaper than the cruise line unless they have a group booking. What they can do is split their commission with you in the form of obc, prepaid gratuities, etc. Depending on the amount of business the agency does, the length of cruise, and the category you book, it could amount to several hundred dollars per person.

It's pretty simple how you get a discount. You have to use a TA.

First, you cannot find discounts using internet searches. Almost all cruise lines prohibit TA from advertising prices lower than those the cruise line lists on their website. Any discounts offered on the internet by 'discount' or 'cheap' cruises, etc., are usually calculated against the brochure price, ie, MSRP. The rates they offer are not discounts and are the same rates available from the cruise line.

Second, you have to contact the TA and ask them for a quote. If they quote the same price as the cruise line, thank them nicely, move on, and contact another. Sometimes, you may have to call the TA using the number they list on line. Sometimes, the TA will have a "Request A Quote" button. One way or the other you will have to give them your contact information.

Third, anything you get from the TA is in addition to all the discounts and promotions (seniors, stockholders, military, 123go, etc) offered by the cruise line.

Fourth, the discount may not be in a reduced price but may instead be an amount of OBC. Since this OBC is offered by the TA, it is usually refundable, so it's pretty much the same as cash. For example, both the TA and the cruise line may charge the same price, say $1500, but the TA may through in $150 OBC.

Fifth, be sure and question the TA on such things as additional fees they may charge. A good TA will not charge you for things like cancellation fees, booking change fees, etc., and will only pass through cruise line fees.

Sixth, the TA can do this by reducing their commission, booking group rates, etc,.

Seventh, I'm not a TA, but I found this information while staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

You'll have to decide whether the discount is worth the work. Eight to fifteen percent is common.