10:50 am flight possible?

We plan to fly Southwest to and from our cruise into FLL. For the flight home, the latest they have is 10:50am, everything else says sold out!! I am guessing it's because it is for November 21, pretty close to Thanksgiving. Unless they put in more flights we would either have to race to make the 10:50 or choose another airline for way home. Is 10:50 realistic or not?

Oh wow....

I wouldn't. You are going to be so stressed out! I've seen the security lines get so long at FLL and we've waited in line for security alone for 45 minutes. Not good. I wouldn't suggest it.

I sure hope you can make it, as we have a 10:35 booked for our return flight!!

If you book it, keep an eye on the SouthWest website. Many times I have seen the website show certain flights sold out, and then reappear for sale. You can then change your flight for the flight you prefer. SouthWest does not charge a fee for changing. They are great that way.

10:50 am is doable IF the ship arrives on time, you self-disembark, and there are not alot of other ships in port. We have been at the GATE in FLL at 8:30 - 9 AM on SW. The earlier you get to the airport, the less traffic you normally will have at security (weekends) since most of the other ship passengers will be later than you.

While chances are you will make it, the stress of worrying about it and rushing off the ship would not make it worthwhile for me and I would opt for a later flight on another line (if possible).

Edited by DaveOKC

Yes you can make it. We use that flight time often. We make sure we are off the ship about 8. We have never arrived at the airport later than 8:45.

If you want you can carry your bags off as soon as customs has cleared the ship. But we don't feel the need. The airport is a 15 min drive from the port.

If you are going to stress and lose sleep the night before...well you have to decide.

10:50 am is doable IF the ship arrives on time, you self-disembark, and there are not alot of other ships in port. We have been at the GATE in FLL at 8:30 - 9 AM on SW. The earlier you get to the airport, the less traffic you normally will have at security (weekends) since most of the other ship passengers will be later than you.

While chances are you will make it, the stress of worrying about it and rushing off the ship would not make it worthwhile for me and I would opt for a later flight on another line (if possible).

Checking the cruise timetables, there are 5 ships in that day, including Oasis, Independence, Emerald Princess and 2 others.... Think carefully about using this flight, IMHO, the stress is not worth it. There are far too many factors involved which are beyond your control.

I would not take the flight but a lot of this comes down to stress. I don't care for stress nor do I want to spend the last few days of a cruise worrying about it.

Remember, the airport itself will be crowded too so getting through security will take longer than usual.

I would either fly home the next day or I would look at alternative airlines. They will not add flights.

Keith

I would be most worried about not having a plan B if all subsequent flights are already sold out. Given that it is the Saturday before Thanksgiving you may not find available seats for days should you miss the flight.

I would be most worried about not having a plan B if all subsequent flights are already sold out. Given that it is the Saturday before Thanksgiving you may not find available seats for days should you miss the flight.

Good point about the limited alternatives if you should miss your flight. Also, I think it is highly unlikely that SW will add another flight, as they normally keep to their schedules (unlike most other lines).

Good point about the limited alternatives if you should miss your flight. Also, I think it is highly unlikely that SW will add another flight, as they normally keep to their schedules (unlike most other lines).

Years ago I had a flight departing at around 10:30. I made the flight but I would not do again. I was a nervous wreck about missing flight starting the day before. We did not know at the time we could take our luggage off with us.

FLL is close to the port and if you don't hit any hiccups you should have time to make your flight. People fly out early all the time. I would carry of your luggage or you could do luggage valet to speed things up since you won't have about your bags until you reach your final destination.

We plan to fly Southwest to and from our cruise into FLL. For the flight home, the latest they have is 10:50am, everything else says sold out!! I am guessing it's because it is for November 21, pretty close to Thanksgiving. Unless they put in more flights we would either have to race to make the 10:50 or choose another airline for way home. Is 10:50 realistic or not?

I would book this and not worry. Do self disembark. Print boarding passes in advance. Do carry-on baggage only (yes, it's possible for a cruise). Taxi to the airport.

Lines in FLL get bigger as the day goes on. By arriving early you should be fine.

BUT , if you choose to do this, no stress towards others because YOU have an early flight. If you can do this and stay calm cool and collect, then go for it.

Once the plane takes off , it won't matter if you were first to board or last :rolleyes:.

I would book this and not worry. Do self disembark. Print boarding passes in advance. Do carry-on baggage only (yes, it's possible for a cruise). Taxi to the airport.

Lines in FLL get bigger as the day goes on. By arriving early you should be fine.

BUT , if you choose to do this, no stress towards others because YOU have an early flight. If you can do this and stay calm cool and collect, then go for it.

Once the plane takes off , it won't matter if you were first to board or last :rolleyes:.

Yes, the key to this would be to getting of the ship early. We have only cruised out of Port Everglades once and we did self assist. (Still not condoning the early flight) BUT, we were at the airport no later than 8:30. The crowds didn't get there until after 9. Oasis of the seas was in town that day too. But, again, it sounds so very stressful to me. But I'm sure if you want to make it happen it likely can, it's just how stressed you want to be doing it. That morning we self assisted went perfectly and we were at the airport in no time. Could we have made a 10:30 flight? Yes we could have and we probably could have checked luggage too with time to spare but I would have been super stressed and probably not the nicest person to be around. Just saying.

Thanks all for the replies but I've decided I'm just not brave enough to take the chance. Also, I know myself I will be too stressed out and don't want to put my husband thru that since this is a trip for our 20th anniversary. I would like to end it with the possibility of entering our 21st year!! So with that I booked us thru Jet Blue instead of Southwest. Now no more stressing over flights, moving on to hotel picking for the night before instead!!

Happy anniversary! What a wonderful celebration.

Sounds like the flight situation is working out as you'll get another day vacation out of it. :-)

Now I'm getting a bit worried as we got notice that our return flight got switched from 11:40am to 11:20am...so only half an hour after what you were considering.