Ncl where are you?

rhelms

Planning a last second cruise out of New Orleans. Surprised to see that there are no NCL ships currently sailing from New Orleans. What's up with that! Based on pricing I would think that this is prime season for cruises in the Caribbean.

Looks like I will have to cruise with the Carnival. What, no free UBP? And I would't even have complained about paying the gratuity!

NCL Dawn will begin service from New Orleans this fall on 13 Nov on a 2 night cruise to nowhere then starts regular cruises on the 15th.

Looks like leaving New Orleans again for Canadian cruises in early May of 2016. Then back to New Orleans in mid Nov.

I always thought the main reason for not having so many cruise ships sailing the Caribbean itinerary in the summer months, is because of the hurricane season in that region, that is officially from May until November every year....?

I always thought the main reason for not having so many cruise ships sailing the Caribbean itinerary in the summer months, is because of the hurricane season in that region, that is officially from May until November every year....?

No, just like rvsullivan said earlier, a lot of the ships go to Alaska, Europe, Bermuda and Canada too for the summer months.

I love Norway. Took a couple of trips to Oslo in the 90s. Great country and awesome people. Wonderful memories.

I would love to do a Baltic or European cruise. But trying to do one of these as a last second option is impossible. Airfare rates are ridiculous.

Just hard to believe a ship out of NOLA isn't viable during the summer months.

Although some appear in May, the "official" start of hurricane season in June 1. You would think the ships could stay out of the way but when you look at the size of one of these monster storms, it can cover a lot of the Caribbean. So I tend to think you're at least partially correct.

Its also Hot as Hell!:eek:

Planning a last second cruise out of New Orleans. Surprised to see that there are no NCL ships currently sailing from New Orleans. What's up with that! Based on pricing I would think that this is prime season for cruises in the Caribbean.

Looks like I will have to cruise with the Carnival. What, no free UBP? And I would't even have complained about paying the gratuity!

prime time season to caribbean is january - april, i was in st thomas the third week of april and the stores were closing for the summer we got some great deals but now is time for bermuda and transatlantic, what ever you do have fun

I certainly wouldn't risk my vacation in hurricane season in the Caribbean! That's why we go in Early spring.

I would love to do a Baltic or European cruise. But trying to do one of these as a last second option is impossible. Airfare rates are ridiculous.

Just hard to believe a ship out of NOLA isn't viable during the summer months.

I really don't think hurricanes are the major part of the decision for cruise lines (except carnival) sailing out of here during the summer. I think it's the heat. It is currently 92 degrees here in New Orleans and it's not even noon.

This time of year it is too hot to enjoy a cruise, much less leave your house.

Not just there.

Its Hurricane season for Bermuda , New England / Canada Too .

And thats where the ship moves into .

I would think the insurance rates for that time of year would be off the charts as well. The would need to have full ships all summer to justify the increase.

Very few cruise lines have a lot of ships doing the Caribbean in the late spring through the summer. Carnival is one line that has left a lot of ships in the Caribbean for summer. The other lines take ships to Europe, Alaska and Bermuda. The prime time for sailing in the Caribbean is late fall to early spring, when the weather in the good ole USA and Europe is cool and the Caribbean is warm and sunny.

That may be a consideration but not at the top of the list by anymeans.

91L the soon to be hurricane in the gulf is why NCL pulls out of New Orleans/Galveston during hurricane season. Why risk it?

rb.jpg

Getting a cruise ship bottled up in the gulf (like New Orleans or Galveston) could cost cruise lines tons of money, whenever a hurricane is bearing down. Having in inflexible schedule and a home port deep into the gulf is a recipe for disaster. Itineraries can be changed, but home ports, not so much. Who wants the bad publicity as well for having to cancel cruises, or reroute passengers back to a different port. How would that effect passengers without a passport?

Having a home port in Florida does allow you a little more leeway on getting away from a bad storm, but when you are holed up in the back of the gulf, you only have one way out.

I think NCL would love to stay in NO or Galveston year round, but just not worth the risk to them. They have other ports that they can cruise from and still be profitable.

I can only assume, that with Carnival having SO many ships, they are just in need of the extra ports to cruise from. Plus, it gives them extra revenue due to NCL pulling out. It makes a little easier to take the gamble, when your competitor pulls out of town.

I would hate to know I had a cruise booked out of New Orleans and a hurricane was entering the gulf.