Labadee Haiti what to do that is free?

princessh

Last time I was there, they refused to provide water of any kind free of charge. Really upset me. During lunch time, they did provide "fruit punch." I never had to take water on a private beach before.

The chairs, hammocks, food and shade are all free. BTW: There are a ton of employees to help you setup chairs, etc. I think it is part of their contract with Haiti. They make a big deal that there is no obligation to tip, so don't feel like you can't ask for a chair because you don't want (or don't have cash) to tip. Other private beaches I've been to just leave the chairs out all day, but on Labadee they will pick them up and then take them back out where ever you want to them, since they have so many local employees.

Overall I really enjoy Labadee and I've never spent any money there. I would tip the chair guys a little, but I always forget to take cash with me.

Free if you take your own! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not an option for some of us flying in from far flung places and traveling elsewhere before / after the cruise. I'd love to have an idea of how much snorkel gear is to rent.

It's a beach stop. It's also not an island but a private beach, in an isolated part of Haiti. It's just like going to any other beach, but much nicer! You have access to the ship all day. They bring the food off the ship, and you eat lunch on the beach. Lunch is also available on the ship. You can rent beach mats, and snorkel gear also. You can also shop (it's free if you don't buy). The water park is for kids, not adults, and serously doubt your 12 year old would not like it, unless, he doesn't like bounce houses on water. Dragons Breath is not a water slide. It's a zip line, and it's awesome, but expensive. They also have a "you control the speed" roller coaster. It's also would be fun for any 12 year old to do.

When we were there last year, there were adults at the water park, me included (I was with my 10yo son). Yes, you only get an hour for the cost, but it's a physical workout... swimming with a life jacket and climbing on everything will tax your muscles. It was fun (even for this adult).

Labadee does not have a snorkel area like they do on Coco Cay. Or so I was told when I was on a B2B two years ago. You must take an excursion out into the water. I loved the beach and snorkel area at Coco Cay it was around $30-35 for snorkel, mask, fins and the required Safety Vest. If you take some of your own equipment you can just rent what you're missing. I went by myself and felt safe out in the water alone with the lifeguards.

We use Labadee as a beach day. It is best if you go all the way to Columbus Cove. Look at the attached map. The beaches nearest the port entrance and along the first beach are labeled with a beach chair. These are rocky and best for sunbathing. If you look at Columbus Cove you see a logo for a swimmer off the shore. This is a good swim beach--not many rocks, etc.

The suite beach and Nellie's are nice too. But, we never buy the cabanas. Also, we have found the BBQ at Columbus Cove and near the port entrance are less crowded. Also, do not wait until nearer the end for the buffet lunch. We have had them run out of food on 2 cruises.

On our last visit we hit the beach early and went back to the ship to eat lunch.

Also, security is onshore in Labadee [check sea pass cards and scan beach bags]. This can be a long scrum, depending on how many ships are there.

1676377559_Labadeemap.jpg.f1cea2d9dad0fc0293659080a0a19dc9.jpg

Comments on a couple of items:

Shade - some of the beaches have nice groves of palm trees, so shade is not a problem as long as you don't insist on being right up at the water.

Lunch - eat early. A couple of times we thought if we waited the line would get shorter. It doesn't, it only gets longer!

Vendors - the indoor vendors in the building are OK. The vendors in the "village" - the one you ride through, are really aggressive - it's a battle zone!

Snorkel - some say that there is no snorkeling from the beach. I have found that if you go out along the rocky breakwater, both coral and fish can be found. Not great, but better than nothing. Sorry, don't know the cost of rental, and would suggest bringing a mask and snorkel from Walmart at home. No fins needed in the shallow water, and they don't have a snorkel vest requirement like CoCo Cay.

- IME there was no rental snorkel gear at Labadee .... as an avid snorkeler/diver I'd rate that as no big loss. There's a reason they don't rent gear .... There are excursions that take you away from the immediate area.

- IME the comment about water was spot on .... we were pretty surprised when our only option for a cool drink of water later in the day was to buy a bottle at the bar.

- don't wait too long for the food .... IME they ran out while there were still plenty of people in line. When they use up what they brought off the ship in the AM, that was it .... Funny, they bring the booze off the ship too, but didn't run out of that.

- since OP asked about 'free stuff' I'll guess that comments about the zip line et al are not warranted cuz these things are PRICEY!!!! IME if you change your mind they were never sold out and you could walk up and go at any time .... we did this with the PWC's

lab2.jpg

- just grab a chair under a tree and enjoy the day. Our spot had us watching the zipper's ........ come down the mountain over the beach. {location, location, location}

lab5.jpg

(my first visit to Labadee was in 1984 ... this was when RCL had obtained rights to the land and begun development but due to political and other 'considerations' in Haiti, abandoned the project - keeping the option to return which they did many years later)

Edited by Capt_BJ