Muster Drill with 2 little ones

MArch/15.... On both Splendor And Conquest small children could go to a lounge where mobility challenged people with walkers, canes, or inability to stand for over 1/2 hour could go. Got their wrist bands there too. Not every staff person knew about these lounge arrangements. Adk until you find one who does.

Thank you so much to the posters who responded with tips, strategies, and info from past experiences. I like the gold fish idea and never even thought to take my time getting there so we aren't against the bulkhead. It makes it easier knowing what to expect.

For our past cruises, the muster drill has been bearable but on the Sensation they had us standing there for well over 45 minutes. It was the most disorganized I had ever seen one. Either way, I'm sure we'll still have a great cruise. I couldn't be more excited :D

Some of the other posters -- Good Grief!!! My toddlers are more respectful and less child like then some of the comments on here. :rolleyes:

We will take responsibility for the behavior of our children, and WILL follow the rules for adults only spaces. However, kids are kids, and I’d suggest that if you don’t ever want to see or hear kids around, don’t sail with a cruise line that so heavily markets itself to people of all ages. I’ve had far more bad experiences due to adults’ boorish behavior than I’ve ever had issues with kids.

I was on that same cruise. The problems arise waiting for those last stragglers who for whatever reason, are late. The rest of us pay the price:mad:

Glad you asked this question because we will be taking our grandchildren for their first cruise....thanks for all the suggestions.

Another quick question....I have read in a few post here that they receive their wrist bands. What are these? Thank you never have cruised with small children......

It's to identify children under 12 yrs of age. Not sure if Muster station is listed on wristband or not.

Yes--the bracelet lists their muster station, so that in the unlikely event of an emergency where your kids are separated from you (at Camp, or otherwise), the staff will know where to send your children to in order to be evacuated.

Also, the wristbands make great souvenirs for my kids, who keep them after the cruise has ended.

CeleBrat

It might help if we knew which ship the OP is cruising on. I've only been required to go outside on 2 of my 5 cruises, and we started in the theater on one of those. On the Paradise and Breeze we just had presentations in the theater for muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on that same cruise. The problems arise waiting for those last stragglers who for whatever reason, are late. The rest of us pay the price:mad:

Well, just from this thread, we know some people doing that purposely.

I wasn't aware of the wrist bands. Do kids have to wear them the entire cruise? We are going in a 14 day cruise and I'm wondering if the band will hold up that long.

They will give you a new one if it falls off.

They always need to wear them on the ship.

get there as late as possible and be in the front of the pack. This accomplishs two things, it is more comfortable and it make the process seem much faster. Stay in your cabin until they actually sound the horn telling you to go to the muster. This is like 10 minutes after they start telling people about the drill is getting ready to begin. The people that head up when those announcements start are the ones that are in the back. Then once your steward is bascailly kicking you out for inspection, walk slowly down the stairs. You won't be alone, but most people will already be outside. It is uncomfortably late, like 'we should really be going' late...but you won't be last and they won't start until everyone is down there.

The other technique I use is to hang out in the main lounge until after the announcement and you see the stream of people really slowing down.

They will give the kiddos bracelets and you'll be through the drill in no time. We used this technique for as young as 2.5 and it has worked. I have no interest in making the kid stand in a sea of a people or do I want to now hold (a now 6 year old) for that long.

I understand that many people do exactly what you do... and even though it makes it much more comfortable for you to be one of the last to muster, the ones that need extra assistance (the elderly, those with health issues, and those with young children), are at the mercy of those who hold the drill up.

It is funny that you posted this because I wrote something to JH yesterday about this very subject. People give this same advice to others - staying in their cabins until they are 'officially asked to leave' or are 'taking their time getting to Muster'. All that will be accomplished by more people following your advice, will be to make the Muster Drill (MD) 'wait' even longer.

My suggestion to John was to start the line from the front and then weave it's way to the back. This will benefit those who proceed to their Muster Stations when it is first mentioned. Then those who are in no hurry and would prefer to wait indoors until the last moment; they can stand at the back of the lines.

I also think that if they would designate an area for those passengers I mentioned above, (the elderly, parents with small children, those with health issues) - (at each assigned muster station), MD would be so much easier for them as well! Besides, I do believe that more people would head out quicker if they knew that staying indoors meant being stuck in the very back. (As you said in your post; you stay in till the very last moment so you'll be in front. This would backfire if Carnival considered my suggestions...) JMO

Edited by gammy3gks

I understand that many people do exactly what you do... and even though it makes it much more comfortable for you to be one of the last to muster, the ones that need extra assistance (the elderly, those with health issues, and those with young children), are at the mercy of those who hold the drill up.

It is funny that you posted this because I wrote something to JH yesterday about this very subject. People give this same advice to others - staying in their cabins until they are 'officially asked to leave' or are 'taking their time getting to Muster'. All that will be accomplished by more people following your advice, will be to make the Muster Drill (MD) 'wait' even longer.

My suggestion to John was to start the line from the front and then weave it's way to the back. This will benefit those who proceed to their Muster Stations when it is first mentioned. Then those who are in no hurry and would prefer to wait indoors until the last moment; they can stand at the back of the lines.

I also think that if they would designate an area for those passengers I mentioned above, (the elderly, parents with small children, those with health issues) - (at each assigned muster station), MD would be so much easier for them as well! Besides, I do believe that more people would head out quicker if they knew that staying indoors meant being stuck in the very back. (As you said in your post; you stay in till the very last moment so you'll be in front. This would backfire if Carnival considered my suggestions...) JMO

Great ideas!

I don't consider my technique holding up the line, you can only load the muster station so fast. I'm always in line when I get to the muster station and have never been close to last, but some folks have been there a while by the time the front row is there. And I really only did this since I started to bring a small child to muster...

I do the same thing while boarding an airplane. If I have any controll, I'm the last one on the plane. People who boarded first have been there for a while, but I haven't slowed the departure of the plane because I chose to be last.

Edited by jiggs

I don't consider my technique holding up the line, you can only load the muster station so fast. I'm always in line when I get to the muster station and have never been close to last, but some folks have been there a while by the time the front row is there. And I really only did this since I started to bring a small child to muster...

I do the same thing while boarding an airplane. If I have any controll, I'm the last one on the plane. People who boarded first have been there for a while, but I haven't slowed the departure of the plane because I chose to be last.

I agree that you can 'only load the muster station so fast'. I don't discount that. I also am not saying that you are the 'last one' in line. However, going by what you said in your original post (the one I first replied to), you advised the OP to 'wait to leave her room until she was basically kicked out' - 'to walk slowly - to be 'uncomfortably' late - that 'most' people will already be on deck - and they won't start without you. Maybe those very people that you are using as an example (those still in line), are there for a reason. NOT because of the number of passengers on board but because they have the same mindset as you do. Putting off the inevitable until you have no choice. Maybe if everybody would make more of an effort to get to their Muster Stations quickly, the drill could be over sooner. JMO

As for the plane boarding analogy... three things: 1- People that have already boarded are 'sitting' - not standing while they wait for you. 2- They are 'inside' - not outside in the heat and sun. 3- The airlines will 'shut' the doors if you aren't on the plane by their last call and leave WITHOUT you. But the ship has no choice but to wait until all passengers are accounted for before they can begin their drill. (Just wondering: If the airline changed policies and said that you MUST BOARD when your assigned group is called or be refused entrance onto the plane, would you still wait 'leisurely' in the waiting area? No... you would make sure you were boarding with your group. So knowing that the Muster Drill can't be given until you are on deck and accounted for, why would you feel that leisurely taking your time with others that are probably doing the same thing, isn't holding the drill up? There is a huge difference between a steady stream of passengers making their way up to their stations vs a group of passengers who are 'uncomfortably late'... Hopefully someday Carnival will reevaluate their procedures and make this drill much easier in the future...

This upcoming cruise will be our first with our children (3 and 5). The one concern I have is getting my kids to stand during the 45 min long muster drill. Any other parents who have cruised with little ones have any recommendations?

I am not sure if they still allow it or not, but my son preferred the emergency wrist band be put on his ankle. It was more comfortable, and not visible in family photos. Just an option to explore.

The claims that those who arrive late cause the muster drill to go longer are unfounded. No roll check takes place at the muster station.

Your cabin steward places a card in your key slot verifying the cabin is empty. We've had fellow cruisers go to the wrong station based on where they were at the time the drill started.

The first voice you hear is the cruise director. He is speaking on the PA system from the bridge. Sometimes the captain will follow, but that's rare.

My only gripe is the drill is rarely over in time to return to the cabin, grab a camera and head up to see the first lines drop at sail away. Nine ships, 29 cruises and haven't seen half of them at the start.

Shortest muster ever was last week on the Triumph. Around ten minutes from start to finish.

Edited by BallFour4

The claims that those who arrive late cause the muster drill to go longer are unfounded. No roll check takes place at the muster station.

Your cabin steward places a card in your key slot verifying the cabin is empty. We've had fellow cruisers go to the wrong station based on where they were at the time the drill started.

The first voice you hear is the cruise director. He is speaking on the PA system from the bridge. Sometimes the captain will follow, but that's rare.

My only gripe is the drill is rarely over in time to return to the cabin, grab a camera and head up to see the first lines drop at sail away. Nine ships, 29 cruises and haven't seen half of them at the start.

Shortest muster ever was last week on the Triumph. Around ten minutes from start to finish.

Just curious...why not bring the camera with you? I have always brought it and caught each sail away.

Although this may be the case on the cruises you have been on (or maybe the way Carnival does it), but just last month on our muster drill on the Veendam, they had bullhorns at each station and did roll call by name (and they also called the name of each passenger in a cabin). Once everyone that was on the list for the muster station was accounted for, then they started with the safety briefing.....and we waited for about 10 minutes for all stations to report in....so the slower people are getting to their stations, the longer the drill takes for everyone. It was also difficult to hear your name when people behind you wanted to talk (loudly)....I think some may have missed their name so they kept being repeated.

Edited by Shih-tzu
Typo

If every ship in the Carnival fleet had inside Muster Drills, than this would be a 'moot' point. However, until they do, this will be a subject that is always debatable.

I just wanted to clear up one thing: I have never seen the crew take 'roll calls' at each station but that doesn't mean that they haven't. It would be difficult to do for the reason you stated but it could be done. However, my main point that I tried to make with the other post (and now with yours) is simple.

If the Muster Drill can't begin until ALL the rooms are emptied and ALL the passenger areas are cleared, then it stands to reason that the longer it takes for this to happen, the longer wait out on the decks. Sadly, the passengers who deliberately stay indoors until forced to go to their MS, and are 'uncomfortably late' as it was posted earlier, then yes, our wait time will be longer. Common sense.

I do hope that Carnival will soon change all their ship Musters to indoors. That will solve this debate because there will no longer be a need for me to complain! LOL.

Edited by gammy3gks

buy some plastic battery operated hand held fans from the dollar store. they work wonders to keep you somewhat comfortable during the drill.

I have to use one for my claustrophobia. its worth a shot!

Never thought of that but a great idea!!! Thanks for the tip :)