Hand luggage departing Southampton

Vickitoria10

Is their a size limit to the case you can carry on board when departing Southampton. Last time we just took 2 cabin size cases so we had room for our stuff on the last night when you leave luggage outside your room. However this time we also have a 2 yr old and a buggy, I'm wandering if we can have 1 case between the 3 of us that's a bit bigger so that one of can have the buggy/child and the other have the case? We may also have to carry a travel cot too as it appears the p&o ones are not full size!

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the question, but why are you carrying your luggage on? Most of it just goes through the wall with the porters and you shouldn't need to carry much on other than perhaps a few valuables (if you take them!), essential meds and anything you might need for the 2 year old for a couple of hours.

If you really mean to carry something on it will need to fit through the scanners (airport size)...so I imagine a large suitcase wouldn't be allowed?

I guess you could wheel a larger case on board, but you would have to lift it up to fit it through the scanner, and it would have to go through that.

Could the travel cot not go through the hole in the wall, along with your big cases.make sure it had a cabin labell on it so they knew where it was going.pushchair.

Unless things have changed when we went on the last cruise they told us to carry on clothes for the first night in case luggage didn't get to you in time and also you need all your things for the last night due to having to put your cases outside your room the night before. It sounds like we'll have to stick to cabin sized luggage, it'll just be harder to carry everything!

Unless things have changed when we went on the last cruise they told us to carry on clothes for the first night in case luggage didn't get to you in time and also you need all your things for the last night due to having to put your cases outside your room the night before. It sounds like we'll have to stick to cabin sized luggage, it'll just be harder to carry everything!

In many cruises over the years we have always received our cases in plenty of time on embarkation. Trust me it will be the same for you.

When we disembark we put all but one small wheel case outside the cabin and pack overnight things in that. Simple.

I can understand things might be different with a little one and I've certainly seen buggies but to be honest I've never seen a full size suitcase. Maybe you could manage with a wheeled hold-all which still holds quite a lot of the things your 2 year old might need before your luggage arrives and which should fit through the scanner?

Hi - I have never taken clothes for the first night with me, our cases have always arrived in plenty of time for first sitting. I wouldn't worry about the number of cases as when you park up. Porters will come to your car and take your cases off you. You could put anything you need to carry onboard in a rucksack leaving your hands free to deal with the carrycot and the buggy. once onboard you could take your carry cot to the cabin. Although the cabins are not ready - we always ask the steward if they mind us leaving our carry on case in the cabin. They always say it's no problem.

Case wise - any size is ok as long as it does not weigh more than 20kg.

When you leave the ship there are porter available to take you luggage to the car if needed. Not sure if they charge or if you just tip them.(but sounds like it would be worth it !)

Just a quick thought - could you find a large case to put the carrycot in and then send it to the cabin with the rest of the luggage?

Sue

Take as much big luggage as you want, and the porters will carry it all. Also take one small case with essentials for the next couple of hours. "Essentials" does not have to include clothes for the evening, because the chances of the porters losing your luggage when they receive it within sight of the ship are miniscule; and if they did, you still have the clothes you stand up in. "Essentials" may include a vast array of stuff for a 2 year old - there I will bow to your experienced judgement. ;)

Thanks everyone! We have actually bought a Thomas junior air bed as an alternative! We're going to see nearer the time what our son is like with a bed/cot! What time do you have to have your luggage out the night before disembarkation? It's sounding like we will be okay with just essentials! I think it's cos my mother in law travels with the kitchen sink and for our last cruise took advice off her!!

Thanks everyone! We have actually bought a Thomas junior air bed as an alternative! We're going to see nearer the time what our son is like with a bed/cot! What time do you have to have your luggage out the night before disembarkation? It's sounding like we will be okay with just essentials! I think it's cos my mother in law travels with the kitchen sink and for our last cruise took advice off her!!

The cases need to go out before you retire for the night - I think the deadline was 1am - from memory? But you will get that information given to youa couple of days before the end of the cruise - the time may differ slightly from ship to ship.

I always take a small rucksack as hand luggage as it's easier to carry. It holds a change of clothes, toiletries and underwear, a swimming costume in case I want to swim before main luggage arrives, and my bottle of gin for the cabin. It's big enough to pack stuff for the final day. Much easier handling your main suitcase on disembarking when your hand luggage is o. Your back!

Is their a size limit to the case you can carry on board when departing Southampton. Last time we just took 2 cabin size cases so we had room for our stuff on the last night when you leave luggage outside your room. However this time we also have a 2 yr old and a buggy, I'm wandering if we can have 1 case between the 3 of us that's a bit bigger so that one of can have the buggy/child and the other have the case? We may also have to carry a travel cot too as it appears the p&o ones are not full size!

The difficulty with travelling with young children is always the logistics. I should recommend booking the CPS parking, even if it is slightly more expensive than other systems. When you arrive at terminal a lot of luggage guys take all the cases you want from your car. Then the CPS car park guys take your car and give you a receipt. You will be left standing with a stroller and a small hand case full of essentials only.

When you disembark at Southampton, you should have already put your suitcases out overnight and just left yourselves with the small carry case and stroller. This is a reasonable way to walk off. As soon as you get to luggage hall; do not get a trolley like everybody else, get a porter with a two wheel sack truck and ask him to assist you. He or she will follow you to the large cases pile and wait/load your cases onto sack truck. He/she will go with you to CPS car parking kiosk while one of you gets your car key back. He/she will follow you to the actual car using the locator reference as to where that row is assisted by other staff guiding people to the correct rows. He/she then unloads/loads luggage into car as required. This will be a £5 tip in my opinion but excellent value.

The key is planning any extra stuff I have not mentioned into cases or an easy carry option and using local staff that you can get to help you.

Regards John

Thanks so much, yes we have already booked the car parking and planning on using the porters! Our hand luggage will be full of books, toys and jigsaws!! Ha! Then a carry on case with all other essentials in it! Need to get him potty trained so we don't have to carry lots of nappies and so he can go in the pool!

P&O state a maximum of 20KG per case, but Im not sure if it is enforced? I would assume that the case can't be overly heavy and as long as the porter can carry it then you will be fine.

Edited by Big Stevie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether the weight limit is enforced either.

On our last cruise from Southampton, we did take quiet a lot of extra luggage, 4 large suitcases and 3 small suitcases, all very full and heavy. There was three of us, the look on the cabin stewards face as he kept bringing the cases into our cabin was very funny !!!