No Bottles allowed

TXFATGUY

They used to barely sell any water and now with new price and policy they will sell tons of water fleet wide for a pretty nice profit which equals more money to Carnival. Not really hard to figure it out

This is the first policy change that Carnival's introduced in the last couple of years that DIDN'T make me feel like a proctologist's patient. Even though they say that the problem is with 'unmonitored alcohol consumption', it's pretty obvious that it's aimed squarely at the liquor smugglers, and you know what? I'm okay with that.

For the water-bearers among us, $2.99 for a 12 pack ain't bad, considering the hot, sweaty labor you've just been unburdened of, lugging that 18 or 24 pack aboard. While I prefer my soda in bottles, cans are okay, and ***-mart carries some nifty snap-on can covers that preserve the fizz.

I like the idea that I won't be held up behind people having every single seal on every single bottle examined by an ill-trained rent-a-cop during embarkation. I like the idea that more people will have fewer things to stuff through the x-ray machines. I like the idea that all but the most hard-core of smugglers will have to actually pay for their drinks like us law-abiding, rule-following types, keeping the costs for all manageable (for now).

This is a change that actually comes across as well-considered, rather than the Ready! Fire! Aim! process that seems to characterize most of Carnival's decisions of late.

Interestingly, John Heald didn't even try to 'sell' this one to us, with his somewhat labored "Brilliant!" posts. But you know what? This one solves so many problems and streamlines so many processes that it really IS brilliant.

I think the biggest thing will be when people bring their wine to the MDR and find out they have to pay the $15 corkage fee. In the past it was waived most of the times and I think now that it is going to be enforced, it's going to cause a lot of people to start complaining.

I know there will still be those who will bring a glass and then want a second one, so running back to the cabin during dinner may result in Carnival's selling more wine. I think that is the idea. Also, if you have to pay $15 for a $6 bottle of wine you carried on, it might not seem so expensive to buy a cheap bottle of Carnival wine.

I really thought that would go the way of NCL and charge everyone bringing on wine a corkage fee when boarding. Perhaps that will come later though, who knows?

By the way I haven't experienced the fee on NCL, but I have read it on here a few times, so I guess that's what they do.

In response to a question today, JH said there would be no fee if they took an open bottle of wine to the MDR? I think that person may be surprised if they take it. it does seem to vary depending on the ship/waiter.

If alcohol smuggling is such an issue and takes so much effort at the time of embarkation then why dont they just issue a warning on your ticket and all over the entrances that in the event any alcohol is found in the luggage or carry on bags when entering the ship, that Carnival will not allow you on the ship and will not refund your ticket. Most will not attempt to lose their vacation on smuggling at that point. Problem solved.

Penalize the smugglers, not the people taking water, soda or in my case, i can no longer take gatoraide which is what my teens drink. And as for the water price of 2.99 thats great thank you but that will be temporary i am sure of it.

I don't find it unreasonable. The key was decreasing the price of the bottled water ordered from Carnival to help out those that carry on water.

Agree, 100%. And therefore I'm happy that I purchased the water in the Fun Shops while it remained at $2.99 - and honestly even $4.99 is not gouging.

Hey I'm just playing my favorite role of devils advocate here. So many people assume that because they can find certain things or live a certain way, everyone can. Life is very very different in fly over country and small towns.

We live on a lake outside a small town. Our town has no stoplights, but there is a 4 way stop in the middle of town. LOL. I can order anything I want off of Amazon and WalMarts seem to favor locations not too far from small towns. Obviously anyone posting on here has Internet.

If alcohol smuggling is such an issue and takes so much effort at the time of embarkation then why dont they just issue a warning on your ticket and all over the entrances that in the event any alcohol is found in the luggage or carry on bags when entering the ship, that Carnival will not allow you on the ship and will not refund your ticket. Most will not attempt to lose their vacation on smuggling at that point. Problem solved.

Penalize the smugglers, not the people taking water, soda or in my case, i can no longer take gatoraide which is what my teens drink. And as for the water price of 2.99 thats great thank you but that will be temporary i am sure of it.

Honestly, its a 4-7 day cruise (majority) and I think your kids can do without Gatoraide until they reach a port that sells it. Actually this might be called a life lesson...sometimes you don't get what you want and think you deserve.

Totally agree with your statement about the smugglers. Stick a large bin outside the front doors of the terminal and call it "Last Chance." If they're caught after that send them on their way home (on their dime, of course).

Edited by Cushing985

Again, I will bring up the need to make the "Cheers" program accessible to more people. I am a light drinker - so the $49 a day package is completely out of reach for me. I firmly believe if they create a "shared" package for a cabin - instead of no one in the cabin buying - you have just increased your sales. It certainly is worth trying it out on a few ships.

The break even point on Cheers is 5 to 6 drinks at the $49.00 cost. If you drink less than 5 or 6 drinks a day, why is it a concern? Do you want a drink package that covers 3 drinks a day? Besides that, if there is a shared program within a cabin, systems would have to be changed to recognize the individual cards as belonging to the shared pool and to carry the total already used on each card to prevent people from going past the limit. Cost to change the systems to handle this would be sent right back to the program cost or worse, to the cruise cost for everyone.

You do know that gatorade is available in cans.

Ahoy shipmates,

there is a nasty rumor floating that free room service is about to end. $$$ hasn't been mentioned yet ????

When NCL recently instituted the $7.95 room service fee, then put in the rule that food couldn't be removed from dining area and quickly rescinded that, John Heald stated that Carnival had no intention of following suit.

I hate rumors!

When NCL recently instituted the $7.95 room service fee, then put in the rule that food couldn't be removed from dining area and quickly rescinded that, John Heald stated that Carnival had no intention of following suit.

I hate rumors!

This doesn't help.

Kd3EEkX2b6Q

Gatorade comes in cans.....

Hey I'm just playing my favorite role of devils advocate here. So many people assume that because they can find certain things or live a certain way, everyone can. Life is very very different in fly over country and small towns.

Where do you live that Amazon cannot deliver?

If alcohol smuggling is such an issue and takes so much effort at the time of embarkation then why dont they just issue a warning on your ticket and all over the entrances that in the event any alcohol is found in the luggage or carry on bags when entering the ship, that Carnival will not allow you on the ship and will not refund your ticket.

Because they don't want people NOT on the ship. They want them on the ship, buying alcohol and playing bingo/gambling.

Not letting people board doesn't earn them revenue, even if they keep the base fare. The money is made in onboard sales.

Couple of thoughts (Ive already posted my wife of a diabetic thoughts on the other post)

1) Are they going to ban listerine and mouthwash bottles also?

2)Have they forgotten about rum runners?

3)Do they realise with the right bit of kit you can replace liquid in cartons and cans as well as the well known spirit wine smuggle?

4)Bummed I cannot take my ribena cordial on board to dilute the water

5)Carnival realised it was still loosing the smuggling war and it will continue to do so.

6) I suppose they will save money on all that 'shaking the bottle to see if its vodka' training.

7) Maybe all this money the save on smugglers will stop 'the cuts' (wink wink)

8)This may lead to people becoming even more inventive...watch out youtube.

Because they don't want people NOT on the ship. They want them on the ship, buying alcohol and playing bingo/gambling.

Not letting people board doesn't earn them revenue, even if they keep the base fare. The money is made in onboard sales.

But the threat of it does. Imagine the increase in on board revenue if all the smugglers knew the penalty for smuggling was being denied boarding?

But the threat of it does. Imagine the increase in on board revenue if all the smugglers knew the penalty for smuggling was being denied boarding?

Until they carry through though- who is going to believe that?

Couple of thoughts (Ive already posted my wife of a diabetic thoughts on the other post)

1) Are they going to ban listerine and mouthwash bottles also?

2)Have they forgotten about rum runners?

3)Do they realise with the right bit of kit you can replace liquid in cartons and cans as well as the well known spirit wine smuggle?

4)Bummed I cannot take my ribena cordial on board to dilute the water

5)Carnival realised it was still loosing the smuggling war and it will continue to do so.

6) I suppose they will save money on all that 'shaking the bottle to see if its vodka' training.

7) Maybe all this money the save on smugglers will stop 'the cuts' (wink wink)

8)This may lead to people becoming even more inventive...watch out youtube.

If someone is determined enough to jerk the system they will find a way....drug smugglers have made this into an art form.

And, irregardless of the thousand other methods to smuggle booze available, the one with booze in beverage bottles has had the most impact on, not just cruiseline profit, but has impacted the potential cruise enjoyment of those finding themselves in line behind a snaking line of water carriers waiting for their bottles to be shaken.

Personally, I would never carry any food or drink onto a cruise ship. If I can't afford to buy a fru-fru coffee, a couple of glasses of wine, a water bottle for shore time I wouldn't cruise. I can blow a quick 100 bucks on a single shore activity while at port....another 100 bucks for purchased beverages won't kill me.