U.S. Permanent Residents

1stime88

Are US Permanent Residents (have a green card) who are not born in the USA, allowed to cruise to the Caribbean countries (Mexico, Belize, Honduras)?

I would ask the Dept. of State AND check each of the embassy webpages for the other countries.

Are US Permanent Residents (have a green card) who are not born in the USA, allowed to cruise to the Caribbean countries (Mexico, Belize, Honduras)?

My MIL holds a US green card and is a PR-China citizen. We went to Mexico via NCL earlier this year with no issues. She was required to have her valid PRC passport and green card and present them at embark and debark.

That would be a yes,,,IF they have a current and valid passport from their home country.

Now that is only for re entry back into the U.S.

It's very possible that a citizen from country ABC would be required to have a Visa to visit country XYZ.

That's something you would have to look into more by visiting a Visa web site

As klfrodo says, it would be dependent on the green card holder's country of citizenship if a visa is needed. MIL would have been required to have a visa from certain Caribbean countries regardless of whether she had a green card or not.

For that reason we chose a Mexico only cruise:

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sanfrancisco/index.php/visas-traveling-to-mexico

Thank you for the responses! Anyone else have an experience as a permanent resident going on a closed loop cruise?

It seems a visa is not required for Mexico, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Belize for permanent residents.

Again, you need to bring your passport and green card to reenter the USA. Other countries are not interested in your green card unless they have specific reasons, maybe an agreement with the USA and your passport country. If I were you, I would check each cruise country's consular website.

Again, you need to bring your passport and green card to reenter the USA. Other countries are not interested in your green card unless they have specific reasons, maybe an agreement with the USA and your passport country. If I were you, I would check each cruise country's consular website.

That's incorrect. The US does not require LPRs (green card holders) to have anything more than their green card to travel. It's the countries that you'll be traveling to that determine whether you need a passport, and in certain cases even a visa. By the way, one has to check their cruise line's requirements as well. Some cruise lines, in particular luxury cruise lines, require all passengers to hold a passport, even if government regulations permit travel with some alternative documentation.

From CBP:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

...If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well...

Edited by njhorseman