Jewel cruises cancelled February 2016

joteacher

I got an email from NCL this morning that our Jewel cruise to the Mexican Riviera was cancelled because the ship was chartered (looks like for the last three weeks) in February of 2016. They offered two alternatives, one was to switch to a different sailing on the Jewel for the same price and amenities and the other was to switch to a different cruise at the new rate. Both options came with either $50 or $100 OBC, and if you don't decide by 6/23 they will just cancel your reservation and refund your deposit.

I did re-book on the Jewel for the end of March (my spring break...I'm a teacher, so locked into vacations). I was a little disappointed that they didn't offer more than a little OBC since we had to change our whole vacation. I'm just glad that I didn't purchase airfare already!!!

Oh well, I'm still getting my cruise and have something to look forward to, just have to wait a bit longer... :rolleyes:

~Joanne

We got the same e-mail and I'm pretty upset. We have a group cruise scheduled and have had 6 cabins booked for over a year now. We are locked into the week we choose because some of our party work with companies where they have to scheduled time vacation a year in advance.

I spoke to our group cruise consultant to change to the Dawn out of New Orleans but it will cost us from $100 to $400 per person more at todays fare. I don't think it's fair of NCL to cancel us and then only offer us one option for keeping our rate and amenities. Changing vacation dates is not a option for many people. He is still trying to get the rate lowered, I told him I would give him until tomorrow. If he can't we will be forced to go to Carnival since no one in our group is willing (and some are not able) to pay more.

We were told the cancellation was for maintenance.......

I don't care about the $50.00 onboard credit, I only want them to honor the fare and amenities we currently have. When we booked the fares were the same for both ships on that sailing date (as we were deciding between the 2 itineraries). Feels like NCL is being unfair in this situation.

Had a big family trip planned with multiple Haven suites. This is the only week that would work for us and required a lot of planning with jobs and time off. This really sucks that they have no consideration for their passengers. NCL just lost some Platinum Latitude members.:(

QUOTE]

interesting...ive heard its for a charter. we are booked on one of the weeks before the charter and that is what we were told about the weeks in february.

I got an email from NCL this morning that our Jewel cruise to the Mexican Riviera was cancelled because the ship was chartered (looks like for the last three weeks) in February of 2016. They offered two alternatives, one was to switch to a different sailing on the Jewel for the same price and amenities and the other was to switch to a different cruise at the new rate. Both options came with either $50 or $100 OBC, and if you don't decide by 6/23 they will just cancel your reservation and refund your deposit.

I did re-book on the Jewel for the end of March (my spring break...I'm a teacher, so locked into vacations). I was a little disappointed that they didn't offer more than a little OBC since we had to change our whole vacation. I'm just glad that I didn't purchase airfare already!!!

Oh well, I'm still getting my cruise and have something to look forward to, just have to wait a bit longer... :rolleyes:

~Joanne

Disappointed, I bet you are and I would be as well, but at least you are being offered an OBC. Until the last few years cruise lines didn't even do that. They just simply allowed you to switch dates or ships.

In the last six years, I've had two cruises, one on the Pearl and the other I can't remember, cancelled after booking. However, I was notified almost a year in advance. Unfortunate, but happens I guess. We're on the Jewel in March, so hope the cancellations don't move beyond Feb.

Edited by roger001

I've had three cruises canceled because of charters. Fortunately, my schedule was flexible enough to allow us to adjust, but not everyone is so lucky. I ended up with a lot of OBC for my trouble. We're also lucky that Amtrak doesn't charge massive fees for changing travel dates--just the difference between travel on the new dates as opposed to the old dates. We actually ended up saving money here.

QUOTE]

interesting...ive heard its for a charter. we are booked on one of the weeks before the charter and that is what we were told about the weeks in february.

When I spoke with our group cruise consultant yesterday morning I just assumed it was cancelled for a charter. He was quick to tell me it was for maintenance. Now I'm even angrier he lied. I'm sure they feel people will be more understanding about maintenance than a charter.

They offered two alternatives, one was to switch to a different sailing on the Jewel for the same price and amenities

So what if the week you want to switch to is cheaper than what you have booked?

Do they refund the difference?

I am booked on Feb 21. I looked at Jan 31 and the same cabin is $200 cheaper.

I have not received an email yet.

I booked through a TA so hope to hear from them soon.

Lois

As an FYI, we were booked on a Celebrity cruise and they cancelled an entire month of cruises due to a similar charter situation. They offered a tiny OBC if we transferred our booking to a different ship two months later! It doesn't make sense to the consumer but to the corporate world, it makes perfect sense to charter ships.

In the last six years, I've had two cruises, one on the Pearl and the other I can't remember, cancelled after booking. However, I was notified almost a year in advance. Unfortunate, but happens I guess. We're on the Jewel in March, so hope the cancellations don't move beyond Feb.

The gap in schedule for the Jewel goes from February 14, 2016 to March 13, 2016. If your cruise is in the first part of March you might start thinking about alternatives just in case.

The gap in schedule for the Jewel goes from February 14, 2016 to March 13, 2016. If your cruise is in the first part of March you might start thinking about alternatives just in case.

Thanks. I believe we are the 20th, but will keep an eye on it.

Had a big family trip planned with multiple Haven suites. This is the only week that would work for us and required a lot of planning with jobs and time off. This really sucks that they have no consideration for their passengers. NCL just lost some Platinum Latitude members.:(

I am surprised by this. I have never sailed NCL; although we are planning to in the future. I find this disappointing.

When Carnival cancelled my cruise last year we were given the same OBC as NCL is offering 50pp, but they allowed us to book a comparable sailing at the same rate as the cancelled booking for same statroom category. The cruise we booked was selling for 300$ more pp than our cancelled one but we got it for the lower rate as promised. It was even a better itinerary. We were happy with that.

I would not be happy with what NCL is offering. It doesn't seem fair.

Not nice to hear that they use the Jewel for cherters. As I understand it the Pearl is the first choice for that and because of that we have stayed away from the Pearl.

I know they have a right to do it, it's in the fineprint, but I don't like that they don't have to give their customers compensation for plane tickets etc.

Just curious, Who charters a 2376 person cruise ship for a month?

Probably several music cruises back to back. On our last Pearl 10 day cruise several months ago, a German company had booked over 700 of their employees on board. The ship did set aside during various times exclusive events for just them.

Welcome to Cruise Critic :D

On topic: I'm sorry about your cruises guys, that really sucks. I hope you find alternate vacations.

When I spoke with our group cruise consultant yesterday morning I just assumed it was cancelled for a charter. He was quick to tell me it was for maintenance. Now I'm even angrier he lied. I'm sure they feel people will be more understanding about maintenance than a charter.

Depending on how badly you want to dig your heels in on this, I would stick to your guns about making them price match to what you have now, especially given that both ships were selling for the same price when you booked your group. They are able to go back in pricing history and SEE that both ships were selling for the same price at the time, so should have no problem accommodating your request. If your group consultant can't help, ask him/her to take it up the managerial food chain.

Almost 9 months advance notice is quite a bit. Asking for extra compensation is probably not going very far, but good luck. We book up to two years in advance, but never pay for any non recoverable cost until much closer to cruise time. Also travel insurance can be your friend.

I spoke with Caressa at NCL this afternoon -- my February 14 cruise, designed to tie to school vacations, is among those canceled.

Very disappointing in NCL's lack of compensation ($100 OBC) if we switch to a different cruise on the same itinerary -- almost impossible due to schedule issues with no price protection of any sort if we shift to a different ship, etc.

This was supposed to be a special birthday cruise for my wife (one of those round number birthdays) -- Very disappointed with how NCL is handling this -- they give out $100 OBC like candy -- this is a major inconvenience and that's all they've offered.

Not nice to hear that they use the Jewel for cherters. As I understand it the Pearl is the first choice for that and because of that we have stayed away from the Pearl.

Any cruise ship can be chartered at anytime so long as the price is right for the cruise line. The Norwegian Pearl is their primary music charter ship. However, she sails the Caribbean waters until she repositions to Alaska for the summer months. The West Coast has extremely limited options for chartering available so it was bound to happen sooner or later. Princess royally screwed up both charters they had on her last October 2014 which is why this year the Norwegian Jewel is being chartered for a week in October. (Don't fret, the week was cancelled already a long while back... it's not new news.)

Carnival is the only other choice on the West Coast but their ships are not always the size music festivals go for, although Groove Cruise is using the Carnival Inspiration this October at roughly the same time the Norwegian Jewel is booked with another charter company. It's all about timing and availability to. Most festivals are shorter in length too so taking a long haul cruise ship (say one doing Hawaii) wouldn't make sense as the charter company would be on the hook for the week the ship is tied up at the pier not being used.

Does anyone know if the Jewel is drydocking or who got her for that time span?

Almost 9 months advance notice is quite a bit. Asking for extra compensation is probably not going very far, but good luck. We book up to two years in advance, but never pay for any non recoverable cost until much closer to cruise time. Also travel insurance can be your friend.

After I started sailing on charters early on in my cruising life, I began to realize just how far in advance the contracts were signed. While I used that as a rule of thumb, I generally don't book any non-recoverable costs until 6 months or less. At that point if something goes wrong, it's usually mechanical in nature and just the luck of the draw. You offer some really good advice!

We are not asking for extra compensation. We are asking for a lateral move to another ship sailing in the date for a 7 night cruise.

Additionally we are not out any money if we cancel all together. We all have the insurance but it isn't necessary to use it, this isn't an insurance situation.

The issue here is the cruises now are more expensive so anything we book now will cost us more money. Remember NCL has created this issue, not us. The burden should be so let on them to fix it. We are not asking to move up cabin categories, or get additional on board credit or free anything. I feel we are being very reasonable in wanting a lateral move. Not everyone is retired and can sail at anytime. This is the only week our group can all travel.