What are a port agent's duties?

I was reading a few threads about medical emergencies, and one thing that struck me was the variation in what port agents did/didn't do in different cases.

Thankfully I've never needed to contact one, but I was under the impression that in the case of a medical emergency the cruiseline's port agent would arrange transport to the hospital, organise a translator if necessary, coordinate between you and the ship, and ultimately help make arrangements to get you back to the ship if necessary.

I thought that they'd provide similar help if I was going to miss the ship for some reason.

However from talking locally to some people in the maritime industry, it seems that the port agent is really there on behalf of the master/owner, and their main role is to sort out any paperwork needed, coordinate between the ship and the port authority (arranging berthing, pilots, etc).

What are your expectations of the port agent?

I think it may vary from port to port. However, on a general basis, they are suppose to be able to assist or provide the information on what you need to do in an emergency situation.

When Northwest caused me to miss embarkation, Northwest put me up in an hotel, gave me food vouchers, flew me to Nassau, provided transportation to the hotel in Nassau and arranged for the Cruise Line Port Agent to pick me up the next morning. That Agent took me to the port and then used one of the “golf” carts to drive me to the ship and told the ship's security I was one that missed the ship. They even by-passed Nassau's security check. That was in 2004 and I really doubt that one would get that kind of service now. Also, everything was set up by the airlines to the point that even the hotel in Nassau was instructed on who to call when I was ready to be picked up. Thus, I did not have any contact with the Port Agent until she picked me up at the hotel.

In some countries, I think they are more like a liaison. I heard some scuttlebutt that when people missed a port departure and had to get transportation on their own to the next port in a different country, the ship would give the passports to the departure port agent to give to the passengers. Do not know if that is fact or not.

Betty

The port agent in Puerto Vallarta took care of getting our passports stamped when we had to disembark the Disney cruise a few days early so my mother in law could have emergency surgery.

Here is a link to Intercruises website. RCI use them in many ports around the globe.

http://www.intercruises.com/services-intercruises/port-agency/3

While intercruises actually provide the ship related services while in port, they also handle hotels and transfers for pre and post packages and crew arrivals and departures, they handle turnaround at various home ports around the world and schedule and operate the shore excursions.

Port Agency Services include:

Formalities

- Immigration & Customs

- Medical assistance (guests & crew)

- Berth reservation

- Luggage handling

- Legal representation

Ship

- Refuelling

- Waste disposal

- Stevedore contracting

- Repairs

I'm glad you brought this up...because on several of the emergency situation threads, it has been mentioned that the port agent requested some sort of payment or compensation from the cruise ship passenger.

Are they employees of the port (intercruises)? Or the cruise line?

Is it expected to pay them for providing assistance or even just referrals?

Edited by Coralc

It would be my understanding that they charge the cruise line for services provided. They are agents of the line and the cruise lines representative in any given port. Part of the fees are just included in the contract, while other charges would be paid based on circumstances.

Intercruises is a large international group and is part of RCI partner TUI. They are based in Barcelona. There are many other agents at the global level or more commonly at a national or regional level or even local level.

Port authorities tend to be government agencies and usually need to register and authorize the various port agents doing business with the port.

on several of the emergency situation threads, it has been mentioned that the port agent requested some sort of payment or compensation from the cruise ship passenger.

?

This would be handled on a case by case manner and the situation could vary greatly based on the circumstances.

A fully insured passenger might be expected to pay costs upfront to then later be reimbursed by their insurer.

These charges would be for direct services provided by third parties and costs incurred and not simply a charge for the services of the agent.

It would be my understanding that they charge the cruise line for services provided. They are agents of the line and the cruise lines representative in any given port. Part of the fees are just included in the contract, while other charges would be paid based on circumstances.

Intercruises is a large international group and is part of RCI partner TUI. They are based in Barcelona. There are many other agents at the global level or more commonly at a national or regional level or even local level.

Port authorities tend to be government agencies and usually need to register and authorize the various port agents doing business with the port.

Yes, port agents are neither cruise line employees or port officials or employees. Their company provides similar services to many shipping companies and many ships, and are third party service agencies. Their contract with the shipping company makes them the lines' representative, and gives them the legal right to make decisions and represent the line in the local port.

There are usually "husbanding" charges, which are a fixed amount, to handle the customs and immigration paperwork, port entry fees, tugs and pilots, mail, etc. Other services are "a la carte". It would depend on the wording of the specific contract with an agency as to what is covered regarding medically disembarked passengers. I have not seen the references to payments being required, and without knowing the details, it may be that the passengers were requesting something that would be expected in the US, but that is extraordinary in the country in question, so that would be an extra charge. I'm not a maritime lawyer, so I don't know the exact liability of the cruise line under international law to the passenger when off the ship. I know they will deal with crew completely, handling hospital, room and board, and travel, but crew are company employees and covered by different laws with respect to both their care and immigration status.

I'm glad you brought this up...because on several of the emergency situation threads, it has been mentioned that the port agent requested some sort of payment or compensation from the cruise ship passenger.

Are they employees of the port (intercruises)? Or the cruise line?

Is it expected to pay them for providing assistance or even just referrals?

I saw that as well, and think someone was pulling a fast one. I could see if you had no local currency, the agent might loan you $20 for your initial taxi ride or something like that, that you'd need to repay, but I wouldn't randomly hand cash over on demand. If it's a valid charge for professional services, she could invoice me.

My father has travelled a lot in various countries where everyone from the immigration police you meet on the way in, through every other walk of life are on the take, and have their hand out "for a little something". Without starting an argument, I must admit, I feel a little same when I go to the US. Every time I blink, someone else has their hand out expecting a few dollars.

I get the impression from that thread that the country they were in may have been one where "gratuities" were expected.

I broke my collarbone in Nassau a few years back on the Carnival Destiny. The only thing I remember about the port agent was when the Doctor at the hospital gave me the ok to travel. It was about 4:30 and the ship was leaving at 5PM. I told the nurse to get someone to call the ship and she told me they already contacted the port agent. I surmise that he/she contacted the ship to let them know I was coming back. I'm proud to say I made the ship with one minute to spare. 4:59 is what the clock said when I crawled on board. DW remembers hearing them mention other people who were missing at that time and someone remarked "If he can make it on time, they can too". They literally pulled the gangplank up behind me and off we went.