Kids & Bars

It's about as appropiate to have kids sitting at a bar as it is to have adults lining the edge of kiddy's wading pool w/ drink in hand having a grand ol' time. Neither would not be against the rules, but both would be out of place.

There are plenty of places for kids to enjoy themselves on a ship. Two of them would not be sitting at a bar and in the Solarium.

The phrase "it's my vacation", aka excuse, has been so over worked. People use this to justify wearing shorts to the MDR, chair hogging, smuggling booze and all the other obnoxious and arrogant behaviors. Oh, don't forget using foul language at a bar.

Most of the people who act like this and are proud to show their ignorance are from North east major metro areas, have lots of tats and wear too small tee shirts to show them off.

Lol, I hope I never meet you.

yea but not you know the rules are for everyone else!

im sure if you dig thru that posters threads there will be some posts about someone breaking the rules and the person complaining

people crack me up, dont bring your kid to the bar even though its not against the rules. but i'll break a rule and use foul language...

Actually, what was mentioned was adult conversation, and you and a few others only assumed that this meant foul language. :cool:

Actually, what was mentioned was adult conversation, and you and a few others only assumed that this meant foul language. :cool:

Actually, you're sugar coating it. If this was just grown ups talking then who would care. I responded to an individual who specifically said he would not curtail his "adult language" if children were present at the bar.

Not sure what might be the proper etiquette, but in Texas, it is unlawful for kids to 'sit' at a bar at anytime, with or without adult supervision.

There are topics of discussion that some might not feel are appropriate with children around. That doesn't have to mean the discussion is laced with profanity, but you can assume what you wish.

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk

Check post #34 - poster specifically mentions adult conversation with adult language and would not curtail his/her adult language........I don't believe it was an assumption hence my comments. I am not sure how else to interpret adult language.

Edited by PMcC1998

Check post #34 - poster specifically mentions adult conversation and would not curtail his/her adult language........I don't believe it was an assumption hence my comments.

So you're not assuming there that "adult" = vulgar? It sure seems like you are.

Check post #34 - poster specifically mentions adult conversation and would not curtail his/her adult language........I don't believe it was an assumption hence my comments.

Correct, if someone wishes to discuss politics in a civil tone, I don't know why it would make any difference if kids are nearby.

I would love an example of an adult conversation appropriate for the pig and whistle in the evening before dinner, that you believe would be inappropriate.

I would love an example of an adult conversation appropriate for the pig and whistle in the evening before dinner, that you believe would be inappropriate.

I've heard a variety of conversations in bars that would probably be inappropriate around say an 8 year old. Most of the time they have to do with relationships and/or sex. Not necessarily obscene, though.

It's about as appropiate to have kids sitting at a bar as it is to have adults lining the edge of kiddy's wading pool w/ drink in hand having a grand ol' time. Neither would not be against the rules, but both would be out of place.

There are plenty of places for kids to enjoy themselves on a ship. Two of them would not be sitting at a bar and in the Solarium.

Cannot like this response enough! Adults lining the edge of a kiddie pool with drink in hand is inappropriate but not against the rules just like a child sitting on a bar stool! How some people cannot see this is astounding to me. And in response to others, one can have an adult conversation with adult language without it being vulgar.

There are topics of discussion that some might not feel are appropriate with children around. That doesn't have to mean the discussion is laced with profanity, but you can assume what you wish.

Huh? I think and I hope you've quoted the wrong post as I've not posted anything regarding 'adult' conversation.

Ah lads would you every give the squabbling over!

People are on their holidays, lots of people don't even drink but would like to see/ listen to the bands etc. they are entitled to live a little!

ateotd children are allowed in the bar. You would hope their parents will 'parent' them.

And for anyone saying that kids should never be allowed in bars etc, I ask you, how do kids learn how to behave in social situations? They learn by being in the situation.

Go plan your holidays and stop moaning.

To the original poster, happy holidays, enjoy your cocktail xxx [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

And for anyone saying that kids should never be allowed in bars etc, I ask you, how do kids learn how to behave in social situations?

I'm not sure anyone was saying that. Most of the "squabbling" was about whether or not it is appropriate for children to be seated at a bar (ie right at the counter where the bartenders are mixing drinks). That is traditionally, and in many places by law, an adults only area.

I tend to think it should be the same on ships, but it's not a big deal to me; only an opinion. I certainly don't think spending time in bars is any kind of essential thing for children to learn social skills, though.

Ah lads would you every give the squabbling over!

People are on their holidays, lots of people don't even drink but would like to see/ listen to the bands etc. they are entitled to live a little!

ateotd children are allowed in the bar. You would hope their parents will 'parent' them.

And for anyone saying that kids should never be allowed in bars etc, I ask you, how do kids learn how to behave in social situations? They learn by being in the situation.

Go plan your holidays and stop moaning.

To the original poster, happy holidays, enjoy your cocktail xxx [emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

No one ever said kids are not allowed in the bars - they are - the conversation seems to be geared at if kids should be allowed to SIT at the bar rather than at a table. Personally, if an adult is in a bar and NOT drinking to listen to the band - that's fine too - but take a table.

The irony here is that people defending their right to "adult language" end up sounding pretty childish when they use it. The adults I circulate with don't feel the need to use foul language or act like a fool just because children are not present. If you are at a table next to me and being loud obscene and generally obnoxious as you suggest you intend to be, I'll ask you to shut it whether there are kids present or not. If that is the kind of person you are, I doubt you have anything to say that is worth listening to anyway.

Why is "adult language" always considered foul. I also would could consider "adult language" conversations that I didn't want my kid to listen too.

So if the two couples at the table next to me are discussing the details of a friend's affair, I might not want my kid to overhear. Or a discussion on other topics that might not be appropriate for kids. Adult language and conversations can easily just mean discussions on topics that some parents don't want their kids to hear. I was once at a bar where there was a heated discussion on the death penalty and one mom was hysterical because her kid was hearing all this and kept trying to change the subject. (She apparently was not hysterical enough to give up drinking and after the third "my child is here" scream someone finally told her "then LEAVE" She did LOL!)

Edited by Carolla5501

Why is "adult language" always considered foul.

Because that is what it means. Language refers to the words chosen, conversation would be the topic or context. You can try to spin it but I'm not buying. This is not a new concept fyi.

Because that is what it means. Language refers to the words chosen, conversation would be the topic or context. You can try to spin it but I'm not buying. This is not a new concept fyi.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, and I did a little "Googling." The first sentence Wikipedia (citing Merriam-Webster) has to say about profanity is:

Profanity, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is "an offensive word" or "offensive language".[1] It is also called bad language, strong language, coarse language, foul language, bad words, vulgar language, lewd language, swearing, cursing, cussing, or using expletives.

So, it offers almost a dozen synonyms for profanity, but "adult language" was not one of them. So, while it's possible that could be what someone means, when they say adult, it's still an assumption on your part that may not be correct.

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, and I did a little "Googling." The first sentence Wikipedia (citing Merriam-Webster) has to say about profanity is:

So, it offers almost a dozen synonyms for profanity, but "adult language" was not one of them. So, while it's possible that could be what someone means, when they say adult, it's still an assumption on your part that may not be correct.

How ironic that googling "adult language" also brings up definitions of profanity. In fact if you include the quotes, it's the first result. I didn't need to google it to know, but it is amusing.

How ironic that googling "adult language" also brings up definitions of profanity. In fact if you include the quotes, it's the first result. I didn't need to google it to know, but it is amusing.

I don't find it ironic. I think you're correct that sometimes "adult language" is used as a euphemism for profanity. But I think you're wrong in assuming this is automatically what someone means, if they use that term.

I did find it amusing, though, based on your insistence that it can only mean profanity, that one of the Google results was for a testing system, TOAL (Test of Adolescent and Adult Language). That just struck me as funny, thinking about what the test would be like, if "Adult Language" must mean what you think it means. :) Perhaps it could be renamed TOPHAS (Test of Potty Humor and Swearing).

Edited by Paul65

I don't find it ironic. I think you're correct that sometimes "adult language" is used as a euphemism for profanity. But I think you're wrong in assuming this is automatically what someone means, if they use that term.

I feel quite safe in my assumption. If you think the sentence "I will not curb any "adult" conversations or language that I wish to have if kids are in the bar area either" is ambiguous then you need to work on your reading skills. I know what it means, my kid knows what it means, and despite your Insistence on arguing to the contrary, I don't believe you are so dumb as to not know what it means.

I feel quite safe in my assumption. If you think the sentence "I will not curb any "adult" conversations or language that I wish to have if kids are in the bar area either" is ambiguous then you need to work on your reading skills. I know what it means, my kid knows what it means, and despite your Insistence on arguing to the contrary, I don't believe you are so dumb as to not know what it means.

Of course it's not ambiguous. It means the person will not curb any adult conversations or language. That means there could be topics and/or words being discussed at the bar that someone might feel is inappropriate for children, and the person making that statement would have no intention of being extra cautious about what he/she says. I can't help that you and your child are too ignorant to realize that there are more things considered "adult" than just swear words.

Edited by Paul65

Of course it's not ambiguous. It means the person will not curb any adult conversations or language. That means there could be topics and/or words being discussed at the bar that someone might feel is inappropriate for children, and the person making that statement would have no intention of being extra cautious about what he/she says. I can't help that you and your child are too ignorant to realize that there are more things considered "adult" than just swear words.

That would be the "conversation" part of his comment. The language portion is separate and distinct. I know what he meant despite your attempts to excuse it. You can deny it, that's your right.

Since you've decided you need to insult my family however, I'm going to end this right now, I'm done with you.

That would be the "conversation" part of his comment. The language portion is separate and distinct. I know what he meant despite your attempts to excuse it. You can deny it, that's your right.

Since you've decided you need to insult my family however, I'm going to end this right now, I'm done with you.

Okay. I will leave you in your confidence that what you think he meant is right, and what he says he meant is a lie. If it's that important to you to think you're right, enjoy. :cool: