Kids & Bars

Guys, take 10. Walk it off.

:D I think we were done, but I do like that you dragged up a thread that hasn't had a post in over an hour and 10, in order to suggest we "take 10." If I didn't know better, I'd think you were just trying to stir the pot back up, before the thread dropped off the front page . . . . ;)

:D I think we were done, but I do like that you dragged up a thread that hasn't had a post in over an hour and 10, in order to suggest we "take 10." If I didn't know better, I'd think you were just trying to stir the pot back up, before the thread dropped off the front page . . . . ;)

Opened Tapatalk app on phone about an hour ago and then set phone down. This was top of the list when phone went to sleep, still there when I woke it back up.

C'est la vie.

I would just like to say you sound like a responsible parent.

Nothing wrong with the kiddos sitting with the parents at a table for an after dinner drink/ Shirley temple.

Enjoy your cruise

Reader

Reader, you just made my week. Thank you!:):)

They've probably heard worse language on the playground. That said, if you're gonna' let your kid sit at a bar then don't whine if they get an earful. A bar is a bar whether on family cruise ship or at the corner of your block. The same people drink at both.

They've probably heard worse language on the playground. That said, if you're gonna' let your kid sit at a bar then don't whine if they get an earful. A bar is a bar whether on family cruise ship or at the corner of your block. The same people drink at both.

This exactly. I fully expect adult conversations (but really have no issue most of the time with my kids hearing them...) but for us, we would sit (wherever) and talk while having our drinks so they shouldn't be able to focus that much on others conversations anyway.

I think that good parenting is not determined by where you sit at an establishment but by how you use your time there. Make sure to embrace your time there and engage in the almost lost art of conversation with your family and don't worry about anything else - your family will come out ahead I'm sure!

Hi,

Quick question: can children sit in bar areas on Voyager such as Pig & Whistle?

This isn't a "sit down and get blotto" situation, I'm just thinking of evenings post-dinner where we may want to have a drink and listen to entertainment.

As always, any info greatly appreciated.

Use your judgement mum, what you and your child feel comfortable with.

Cheers,

Another mum.

Not sure what might be the proper etiquette, but in Texas, it is unlawful for kids to 'sit' at a bar at anytime, with or without adult supervision.

Also true in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I think some folks commenting here are confused about the difference between "in a bar" and " at a bar"....but maybe I'm the confused one?! :confused:;)

Lol, I hope I never meet you.

LOL! me neither and they are from New Jersey..last time I looked that is a major NE metro area. I wonder if Poopy and Nano show off their tats and tight T-shirts when on a cruise? ;):eek:

Edited by Rala

On Oasis last week kids were not allowed to sit at the bar. They could sit at a table but they were not allowed to sit at bars. I saw many staff members tell parents to move there children out of the bar stools.

On Oasis last week kids were not allowed to sit at the bar. They could sit at a table but they were not allowed to sit at bars. I saw many staff members tell parents to move there children out of the bar stools.

And rightfully so!

Also true in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I think some folks commenting here are confused about the difference between "in a bar" and " at a bar"....but maybe I'm the confused one?! :confused:;)

I don't think they're confused; I think they disagree and have a "my children will sit anywhere I want them to sit" attitude.

I don't think they're confused; I think they disagree and have a "my children will sit anywhere I want them to sit" attitude.

or the "it's such a big treat for them and makes them feel so special" camp

when I was a kid if I had asked to sit AT the bar my parents would have told me 'when you are old enough to legally drink, you can sit AT the bar'

topics of conversation, or use of profane language is irrelavnt

a child not of legal drinking age( yes this includes teenagers) does NOT need to sit AT any bar.

or the "it's such a big treat for them and makes them feel so special" camp

when I was a kid if I had asked to sit AT the bar my parents would have told me 'when you are old enough to legally drink, you can sit AT the bar'

topics of conversation, or use of profane language is irrelavnt

a child not of legal drinking age( yes this includes teenagers) does NOT need to sit AT any bar.

AMEN - exactly my point

I hope those parents that feel their children can sit anywhere they please will re-consider

. thanks for the tip about the Shirley Temples on the soda package - I would never have thought of that and they'll feel extra special with the mocktail.

If they like cola more than sprite, a "Roy Rodgers" is coke with grenadine, fyi. And, watch the grenadine, my kid would ask for extra and have alot of it and it can lead to, hmmm, opposite of constipated. :-)

This is not true. In Massachusetts it is a city ordinance not a state one and only some cities have enacted rules of this sort.

I am confident that kids sitting AT the bar is not against the law in many MA, CT, and NH cities and towns. Minors may need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian over age 21 to be there (hard to see if thats consistently interpreted as the law)

Owners of private businesses are allowed to establish their own venue policies as well that restrict minors but this is not a legal requirement.

This thread is BS. What was the original question?????

Hi,

Quick question: can children sit in bar areas on Voyager such as Pig & Whistle?

This isn't a "sit down and get blotto" situation, I'm just thinking of evenings post-dinner where we may want to have a drink and listen to entertainment.

As always, any info greatly appreciated.

The simple answer is "yes"

M

The simple answer is "yes"

M

And that answer was given in the first (and second and third . . . ) response to the thread. Someone mentioned it not being appropriate for children to sit actually AT the bar, and it set off the inevitable firestorm of bickering.

This is not true. In Massachusetts it is a city ordinance not a state one and only some cities have enacted rules of this sort.

I am confident that kids sitting AT the bar is not against the law in many MA, CT, and NH cities and towns. Minors may need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian over age 21 to be there (hard to see if thats consistently interpreted as the law)

Owners of private businesses are allowed to establish their own venue policies as well that restrict minors but this is not a legal requirement.

Sorry, did not not realize it was a city by city ordinance. I stand corrected.:)

This thread is BS. What was the original question?????

The original question/comment was a guy felt it was perfectly ok to use "Adult" language at a bar regardless of whether there were kids present. His rational: it's my vacation too"

The original question/comment was a guy felt it was perfectly ok to use "Adult" language at a bar regardless of whether there were kids present. His rational: it's my vacation too"

Why do you assume adult language means cursing???

I would just be careful about taking them in there too late at night. On XoS there was an awesome entertainer that did "sing-along" type songs that often became loud and sometimes became vulgar (look up Living Next Door to Alice by Smokie if you're unfamiliar.) Usually songs like this were restricted to after 10pm (or so the performer told us.)