MITSUGIRLYS DAWN TO BERMUDA NOVEL (or review as some may call it)

mitsugirly

I have always noticed how well NCL likes to try to keep their ships in tip top shape. Every cruise I have witnessed the workers always sanding and varnishing the railings and steps. This would be no exception.

P6111195%20copy-L.jpg

There was a guy out on the pool deck EVERY day polishing the NCL Olympic Swimmer girls. (Wait, is this maybe why the towels are getting yellowed? Notice the pool towel he's using?)

P6121249%20copy-L.jpg

People were always cleaning dishes and cups away. Sometimes they are so quick that if you are not looking your stuff is gone before you are finished. LOL (Not always a good thing) Heaven forbid you have to get up to get a refill on a drink. You may come back to an empty table with your food long gone.

I do think I noticed that there were less plates/trays and such in the hallways this time. They must really be on that now. While we are on the subject of hallways and plates...I know it has been a big discussion on the boards about adding the "no food to your room" policy because of the hallway problem (ah hem...right...because the people that order room service don't do that right...sure) BUT I have really never known exactly WHAT to do with my plates. I have probably only taken a plate back to my room maybe 2-3 times and that is when Sakari was around 3-4 years old and she fell asleep at the table and they offered to let us take it back. But, I have had VIP status several times before and they do bring you "goodies" on a plate daily and so then I'm left with plates. I personally have found that if I leave my trays in the room, they seem to never get picked up by the room steward. I'm sorry, after 2-3 days of it sitting there, I have put them out in the hallway as a "Hey, if you haven't noticed this food has been sitting in my room for days, then maybe this will get your attention..." notice. So, here we are. I still don't take food back to my room even though the "band" has been lifted. But, my TA sent me a dish of chocolate covered strawberries and the "remains" stayed in my room for 3 days before the room steward took the plate away. I had vowed to do this as an experiment to see just how long it would take for them to remove it. I'm sorry, but IMO that's a little too long. When you factor in the space a dish takes up in an already too small interior room because anyone who has stayed in one of these rooms knows you have next to no space left after unpacking all your necessities, it's time to get rid of the plate.

Someone on a thread once said "put it in your shower on the floor, they are sure to take it then", which I think is a WONDERFUL idea and it's what I will be doing when/if I need to in the future. I just didn't try it this time because like I said...it was an experiment. ;)

So one last thing that I can think of that's a "baddie" I guess. Broken seats in the theater. I managed to get a picture of this one but did notice a few others during showtime. The back of the seat with the air conditioner in it was broken/coming apart.

P6111223%20copy-L.jpg

Oh I almost forgot something else. Someone else on here mentioned the "jewels" on the decorations in the atrium. Well, they had a bunch of jewels/stones missing on them as well. Just a little observation.

I'm sure there's tons more of the good and the bad. I just don't remember them if I didn't manage to get a picture of it. Again, no battery sucked big time. Maybe some of the things will spark my memory during my review.

The pool towels...oh lordy lordy where do I begin. Ok, we had 4 in our room. They were used daily x6 days. I can guarantee you that out of those 24+ towels (including 4 towel each x6 days in Kendra's room) we maybe had a total of 5 towels that DID NOT have a yellow stain on them. They were nasty looking. I don't know what this yellowish stain is, but if odds are that we had them, everyone else on the ship did too. They seriously need to do away with them and start all over!!!

P6111190%20copy-L.jpg

I think those stains are most likely from sunscreen. Still, it seems they should probably replace them - but at least it's not anything too gross!

We're doing the Gem New England/Canada run but that probably wouldn't be for you LOL. Not sure how excited I am but DD is begging.

It has never sounded interesting to me, but I do know that during certain times of the year they have whales migrating and whale watching so that would definitely have to be one of those things that I researched to see what all there is to do on a cruise like that. :p

I wonder if NCL is afraid the parents won't pay attention to their kids if they are sitting down and relaxing? Maybe they want these areas to be parent-child interactive? This is just a theory, but maybe if NCL provided chairs for the parents, and something terrible happened, then NCL would be more liable than if they don't provide chairs? Since NCL is doing nothing (literally) to allow the parents to relax they are less liable????? The other thought would be maybe chair hogs are taking the chairs out of the children's areas?

Honestly, I don't think the chairs matter. If they are not going to pay attention to the kids, they'll do that with or without chairs. I think if they at least HAD chairs there BY the pool instead of away from it, they would at least be closer to their children to be able to watch them better. Instead of wondering off somewhere else where chairs are not close. JMO of course.

I don't think liability is an issue. They are not liable either way from my understanding of the maritime laws. That's the reason they don't provide life guards.

I have to admit I love that carpet. But only in context of course.

I do too. I have noticed it on a few ships before and laughed whe I first seen it. Cute huh. :D

We were just on the Star, so everything up to now has looked familiar. But I am totally disoriented by these photos. I can't figure out how this arrangement can even be in the same general area as the spa/gym/kids club on the Star.

The spa is located on the deck below. The area where the pictures are taken is just an open foyer area that looks down into a reception like area of the spa. Along the side of the windows in the picture is the gym and along the upper side is the kids club. So the spa is down, the gym is considered on deck 12 and the kids club (which is actually the teen center) is on deck 13 right above it. So kinda like just a wall of windows on different levels. If you look at the blue prints on NCL, it might be easier to understand. Just look at the curved area and that's the windows. I hope that helps. It's a little confusing to explain. :)

The Dawn is about to go into Dry Dock.. Some of these dated issues might be fixed there.

Hopefully but someone has mentioned (elsewhere) the things they are supposed to do while in dry dock and none of the things I mentioned were on the list. However, I'm sure they don't list "every" little thing that needs repaired.

I think those stains are most likely from sunscreen. Still, it seems they should probably replace them - but at least it's not anything too gross!

Hmm I don't know. I've never had sunscreen stain my beach towels at home like that...and for it to be that many. It's just weird I tell ya.

I just want to say your reviews are wonderful. I have done been reading your reviews for three days because I like your writing style and attitude.

As a mother of three year old twins I love when I see families traveling. Your family reminds me of my own too since we travel a lot together with 9 of us (grandparents, my sister her husband and son, then my family of four).

I was just reading your Sky review so I also want to recommend a Europe cruise also. I went in winter but if beaches are your thing try the Greek Islands. I hear they are amazing and the views I saw were breathtaking when we were there in March. That will be a once a year cruise though since the air will probably cost more then the cruise. You might wan to save that for when you can only squeeze one cruise in that year.

Hopefully but someone has mentioned (elsewhere) the things they are supposed to do while in dry dock and none of the things I mentioned were on the list. However, I'm sure they don't list "every" little thing that needs repaired.

I had the same concerns about the public bathrooms on the Star the first time I sailed on her and I wrote to NCL about it. Last month, after the dry dock, the improvements all over the ship were really noticeable. All new carpet in the main areas and elevator bays (hopefully, the Dawn will be rid of all that blue color), the curtains in our stateroom were brand new as were the towels and mattresses. The atrium in the Star was totally refreshed. It still had minimal seating, but the café chairs seemed new and the smelly plastic fountains were repurposed and the plastic flowers were gone. The duty free store in the atrium was modern and no more tacky tables of gold chains and watches in the atrium on sea days. The photo gallery was really cool post dry dock. The elevator buttons and panels still need to be replaced, but I imagine that is a job for the elevator company vs. the hard working crew during dry dock.

Wait what? People sell their photos to that place? I always thought that person that runs the site goes on all these cruises. :confused: I use that site a lot to look up ships when I'm picking something out.

I do sell my pictures to another site. But they are weird. Sometimes they pay for the uploads and other times they don't. :( It's like off and on and I can't figure out what determines whether or not they pay. (I do know that it's NOT based on whether or not they have the pics of that ship or area for sure). Then they tell me they pay xx amount per picture, but I will count my pictures I give to them and they never pay the right amount. It's a crap shot, but I have made a few hundred off doing that.

Thanks and yes, someone did mention that to me. :)

Hi Kim,

I'm really loving your review. I can't believe how many great pics you can manage with that little camera that you weren't able to recharge. It must have an incredible battery life. I think I will need to look into this camera some more. Could you post the exact model # you're using please! Also, I am familiar with that weird site that you sell to. I use it a lot and purchased the life membership since it was so reasonable, but I must ask, do you know if they pay for the videos they post? They seem to have "borrowed" a few of mine off of you tube! I am highly gratified that they find them worthy, but if they're paying $ then I want some! :rolleyes:

As far as the dry dock goes - they are going to convert the Blue Lagoon to an O'Sheehan's - so those tables will go. The Modernero will move up by Cagney's.

She went through a major rehab in 2011 - when they added the family suites on deck 12 - not sure what else they did.

It sounds like she did not get new carpets at that time - except in the new suite areas.

I suspect that the sewage system is showing signs of age - although the Sun and Sky are even older - and we have heard about restroom closures and sewer like smells on both of those ships - as well as the Dawn.

BTW I am loving your review - you call it like it is :)

Duh, I thought that was a real child. I've got to get new glasses. I could not figure out why he was helping her dive into the netting.

Fabulous review, as always Kim. By the way, will you divulge what your screen name means? I have always wondered.

We'll be on in April 2016, just a month before the scheduled dry-dock. Thanks for letting me know what I will see. Makes it a lot more 'tolerable' knowing what you are in store for. Upside is I am in one of those new suites, so other than the bad glass, they should be in good shape. One of my biggest fears is the reduction in service at the bars. I took the free UBP, duh, but I'd rather have mine pay-as-you-go for stellar service. I really don't buy many drinks on board - two-three a day normally. I usually get bottle service.

I always love reading your reviews and this one is no exception!!

You are always fair and balanced and I love how you add a touch of humor.

Your pictures are awesome as well!!

We thought about going back to Bermuda on the Dawn or Breakaway this summer but decided to give RCCL a try for something different. We'll most likely be back on a NCL ship next summer. :)

I recall being told that the Dawn will be going into drydock after this Summer. Maybe they will make the updates then. Last Fall I remember several seats in the front row of the theater couldn't be used because the seat itself was broken. When you sat down you would slide off!

I would love to do the BA to Bermuda. It's just so darn expensive is the problem and no KSF during the summer months. :(

When I priced the Dawn and BA a few weeks ago balcony rooms were just about the same price, I will admit I didn't price anything else. You need to sail the BA, their is nothing like going down Hudson River and the view of the NCY skyline. Our sailing going out on June 12th was the cheapest that month. Whats KSF?

We thought about going back to Bermuda on the Dawn or Breakaway this summer but decided to give RCCL a try for something different. We'll most likely be back on a NCL ship next summer. :)

Hopefully June 12th 2016;)

I just want to say your reviews are wonderful. I have done been reading your reviews for three days because I like your writing style and attitude.

As a mother of three year old twins I love when I see families traveling. Your family reminds me of my own too since we travel a lot together with 9 of us (grandparents, my sister her husband and son, then my family of four).

I was just reading your Sky review so I also want to recommend a Europe cruise also. I went in winter but if beaches are your thing try the Greek Islands. I hear they are amazing and the views I saw were breathtaking when we were there in March. That will be a once a year cruise though since the air will probably cost more then the cruise. You might wan to save that for when you can only squeeze one cruise in that year.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying the review. It's a lot of work to travel with big families, I'm the first to admit it but it's great memories.

Honestly the air right now usually either cost us more than the cruise does or just under that amount. It's so expensive these days.

I had the same concerns about the public bathrooms on the Star the first time I sailed on her and I wrote to NCL about it. Last month, after the dry dock, the improvements all over the ship were really noticeable. All new carpet in the main areas and elevator bays (hopefully, the Dawn will be rid of all that blue color), the curtains in our stateroom were brand new as were the towels and mattresses. The atrium in the Star was totally refreshed. It still had minimal seating, but the café chairs seemed new and the smelly plastic fountains were repurposed and the plastic flowers were gone. The duty free store in the atrium was modern and no more tacky tables of gold chains and watches in the atrium on sea days. The photo gallery was really cool post dry dock. The elevator buttons and panels still need to be replaced, but I imagine that is a job for the elevator company vs. the hard working crew during dry dock.

Out of all of the ships I have sailed, the Star was my least favorite for the same reasons. It just wasn't up to par with the rest of the fleet. Yes, we had a good time, but the ship itself was not the greatest.

Hi Kim,

I'm really loving your review. I can't believe how many great pics you can manage with that little camera that you weren't able to recharge. It must have an incredible battery life. I think I will need to look into this camera some more. Could you post the exact model # you're using please! Also, I am familiar with that weird site that you sell to. I use it a lot and purchased the life membership since it was so reasonable, but I must ask, do you know if they pay for the videos they post? They seem to have "borrowed" a few of mine off of you tube! I am highly gratified that they find them worthy, but if they're paying $ then I want some! :rolleyes:

Well...there's more on that (the battery). Trust me, the battery didn't last the entire cruise. ;)

I have 2 of them...model 620 & 830.

I guess I didn't realize they had videos on there. I have never seen any before. That's weird. They seem to be random with paying for the pictures.

Thanks again, Kim! I am all caught up and feel like I have been exploring the ship with you. :D

Hehe...that means I can continue then. :)

As far as the dry dock goes - they are going to convert the Blue Lagoon to an O'Sheehan's - so those tables will go. The Modernero will move up by Cagney's.

She went through a major rehab in 2011 - when they added the family suites on deck 12 - not sure what else they did.

It sounds like she did not get new carpets at that time - except in the new suite areas.

I suspect that the sewage system is showing signs of age - although the Sun and Sky are even older - and we have heard about restroom closures and sewer like smells on both of those ships - as well as the Dawn.

BTW I am loving your review - you call it like it is :)

I'm kinda shocked they are going to actually keep the O'Sheehans name now after Kevin quit. I love Blue Lagoons. :(

I believe the stateroom areas did get the carpet. I remember walking down other floor from the "wrong" side of the ship trying to get to Blue Lagoon and they all had the same carpet as we (the 12th floor) did, which is the pretty brown fish swimming carpet. So, I think they would just need to update the carpets in the public areas and it would go a long way.

We were just on the Sun and the Sky in November and thought those ships were in great shape. A lot better than this ship that's for sure.

Glad you are enjoying the review.

Duh, I thought that was a real child. I've got to get new glasses. I could not figure out why he was helping her dive into the netting.

Fabulous review, as always Kim. By the way, will you divulge what your screen name means? I have always wondered.

That gave me a giggle for sure. LOL

My screen name is a name that was created many years ago. I drove a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Due to having that car, that's how I met my husband 13 years ago. So I just used Mitsubishigirl or Mitsugirly (shortened) for several of the forums I was on. We were so into these cars and the power they could produce with just a few mods that we (our family, my kids, brothers, and a lot of the family members) had a total of 23 of them in a matter of a few years. Yeah, that's a little hooked you could say.

I just recently got rid of the car 2 months ago (which had become a garage magnet for the last 5 years, it was converted to a race car years ago with a fully built engine, so we didn't drive it all the time. I have only been hanging on to it for so long because of the memories and what it stood for. I finally decided it was just taking up too much space and time for it to go). So no more Mitsubishi's for us. :p We all drive Audi's now and I've switched my "name" on several things. Of course on here, I don't think there's a way to switch the name you pick. So, I will forever be Mitsugirly on here.

Here's my baby being taken away for the very last time 2 months ago...

IMG_0838_zpsordt4wy3.jpg

Here built engine from several years back that was update even more after this picture:

mitsubishigirl_zpsz26ehidd.jpg

So that's the story of mitsugirly. :D

We'll be on in April 2016, just a month before the scheduled dry-dock. Thanks for letting me know what I will see. Makes it a lot more 'tolerable' knowing what you are in store for. Upside is I am in one of those new suites, so other than the bad glass, they should be in good shape. One of my biggest fears is the reduction in service at the bars. I took the free UBP, duh, but I'd rather have mine pay-as-you-go for stellar service. I really don't buy many drinks on board - two-three a day normally. I usually get bottle service.

Those suites are very nice and huge. I was in one (not mine, someone on our roll calls that I became friends with) on the Star a few years ago. I really liked them. I was able to peek in a few of them this time when the doors were open.

The glass pictures I posted were in the buffet. Fingers crossed you will not have them in your room.

I definitely feel there was a reduction of service at the bars around the ship on this cruise. I assume it's due to the UBP, but then again I don't think I have ever noticed only 1 person behind the bar serving everyone at the bar before. :confused:

I always love reading your reviews and this one is no exception!!

You are always fair and balanced and I love how you add a touch of humor.

Your pictures are awesome as well!!

Thank you so much for the nice comments. Glad you are enjoying the review. :)

I recall being told that the Dawn will be going into drydock after this Summer. Maybe they will make the updates then. Last Fall I remember several seats in the front row of the theater couldn't be used because the seat itself was broken. When you sat down you would slide off!

Yes, word is they are going into dry Dock in May and IF I keep my Dawn to Bermuda cruise for next year on June 3, I will be the first on the ship after she comes out of dry dock. :)

When I priced the Dawn and BA a few weeks ago balcony rooms were just about the same price, I will admit I didn't price anything else. You need to sail the BA, their is nothing like going down Hudson River and the view of the NCY skyline. Our sailing going out on June 12th was the cheapest that month. Whats KSF?

I would love that. It sounds so beautiful and I have never been to NY other than passing a small portion of it on the way to Canada and Niagra Falls.

KSF=Kids Sail Free.

Loving your reviews. Pretty concerned about the past couple week's reviews of the Dawn, especially regarding the service. Plumbing issues also really a concern. I just booked the Dawn for Thanksgiving week and seriously thinking about looking at other options. One of the things that I liked about the Royal Caribbean cruise last year was the very good bar/drink service. We never had long waits despite the ship being full. Poor service and slow drink lines would be a definite deal-breaker. We also like all-inclusive resorts, but research carefully as can run into the same issue with long drink and food lines. Not worth the perk of the UBP if it comes with reduced service. Hmmmm.....

Pretty bad time lapse I did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrO0lQaKbQ

Thanks for sharing. I thought you pass by the statue of liberty on this cruise. :confused: I don't think I seen it in the video or did I miss it?

Loving your reviews. Pretty concerned about the past couple week's reviews of the Dawn, especially regarding the service. Plumbing issues also really a concern. I just booked the Dawn for Thanksgiving week and seriously thinking about looking at other options. One of the things that I liked about the Royal Caribbean cruise last year was the very good bar/drink service. We never had long waits despite the ship being full. Poor service and slow drink lines would be a definite deal-breaker. We also like all-inclusive resorts, but research carefully as can run into the same issue with long drink and food lines. Not worth the perk of the UBP if it comes with reduced service. Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the comments and glad you are enjoying it.

We definitely felt the service at all of the bars were not up to par. It was a mad house and the bars would be lined at all times with people wanting drinks. It was so hard to get a soda that it became really frustrating.

I really wish they'd put something in that was self serve for soda. Like a soda fountain. They could figure out a way to just swipe your card and it would work if you had the package or charge you if it didn't. Something....

It would just be so much easier for us to get it ourselves just like you do regular drinks in the buffet areas. Sigh :(

Our last cruise on another line had the self-serve soda machines. They gave you a special cup with your drink package. The cup had some type of chip in it that allowed the self-serve drink machine to work when you put your cup under the dispenser. A couple of issues however-the drink machines were not located in convenient locations of the ship (not near the pool/buffet-always felt like you had to go down a couple flights of stairs to get to one). Also had to use the same cup the entire time-ewwwwww (rinsing out the cup in our sink just didn't cut it for me!).