MITSUGIRLYS DAWN TO BERMUDA NOVEL (or review as some may call it)

mitsugirly

Some of these photos should be sold to National Geographic... 😁. Seriously though, this is the stuff great screensavers are made of. Hope you don't mind if I use a few of them as my PC's wallpaper!

Sea glass "adventure"...do tell. It sounds like a story behind it. :p

Oh boy, you are sick - I told it earlier. The 5 minute walk which was well over a mile ;)

Yep, you need a trip back it sounds like. Me too!

So what is this piece of grass called? I'm stumped. I have never heard anyone call it anything. Of course where I grew up, we didn't have sidewalks, so there wasn't a strip of grass there. Maybe that's why I don't know what it's called. :confused:

Well, in the Akron area we call it the devil strip. There are different theories as to why but that's it. The devil strip. Most people call it the tree lawn and in the Miami, FL area it's called the county grass

I LOVE THAT THIS IS ALREADY OVER 32 PAGES :p

I really didn't notice that the fishes head went down. Just his top peacock looking fin on his head going up (which really threw me for a spin because I have never seen that on one before) and the mouth opening up and staying open while watching me.

I have 1 camera that's hot pink (more than likely the one I had) and another that's hot blue.

As for the video, I really can't tell much about those kind of parrot fish. Those are like totally different like Cichlids. I use to have a huge tank of cichlids. I couldn't really tell about the head going down and attacking that way. I would need to see an actual parrot fish do it. :p I would still like someone to show me a parrot fish with this top head fin. It's just weird. I can't find anything. :confused: Maybe he was a mutanant. :p

Are you sure what you were seeing was a fin and not the mucous the parrot fish secrets when it is preparing to go to bed? That mucous DOES come from a gland in the fishes mouth.

http://www.livescience.com/8979-mucus-cocoons-protect-fish-parasites.html

The other thing is that if breeds of fish are similar enough, they CAN procreate. So maybe the fish you saw was a mutt that mostly took after its Parrotfish parent but had the other parents crest? Basically, putting the crest up is a sign of "I'm a BIG fish, don't mess with me!" Then if they continue to feel threatened, they would lean forward and down somewhat so the head and mouth is lower than the tail, but not like standing on their heads - it's pre-attack. There is the typical fluttering of the fins in this position - kind of like a bull pawing the dirt prior to charging. Birds do the exact same behaviors.

I'm just loving this review - it is really good and very interesting. Such a nice change from the Caribbean! Now I know it is worthwhile to go to Bermuda!

BTW, I read your review of cave tubing in Belize and based on that we're going to the ruins and on a jungle cruise. I think I'll save my swimming through a cave for a trip to Mexico to Xplor Park!

OMG about all the shortages on the ship. That is just ridiculous! I really think that NCL needs to rethink how they provision the shops onboard (drastic improvement needed in selection and inventory. Whoever the buyer(s) are need to be replaced with people who understand modern cruise passengers. I thought it was just me, but I noticed on Jade, Epic and Getaway that most of the stuff in the shops was mediocre, not available or too cheap to make it worthwhile to buy and bring home. Really so very disappointing when I have plenty of money to spend, yet every NCL cruise I've been on, I leave having bought nothing on the ship because I couldn't find anything worth having - not even an upscale bottle of duty free wine or liquor - what NCL carries is too inexpensive to make it worth bringing home. And why not carry a universal camera battery charger? NCL should also carry spare cellphone chargers - especially those that also work with tablets. I would think they would sell several on EVERY single cruise! If I were provisioning, I'd also carry water wallets (with NCL logo) and other useful items for going ashore. Of course, there should be things for children to make the cruise even more memorable. To me it's a no-brainer to have these things onboard in the shops but its like NCL's buyers are just flat out clueless about what modern cruisers want. Most of the stuff appears to be geared to someone in their 70's yet most passengers are considerably younger and many of them are far more affluent and could afford better quality items. AS to the clothing, why doesn't NCL form a partnership with a land based beach oriented ladies boutique such as Caribbean Joe's? To me, this isn't rocket science. It's just a question of selecting some high quality items that people actually want. So simple!

Love reading all your reviews; you have a beautiful family. I really appreciate all the time and effort you spend in writing your reviews and preplanning the trips. You have inspired me to become a planner. This is probably going to make you cringe when I tell you that I went to Ireland for 21 days with nothing more than a round trip airline ticket and reservation for a rental car!

I am in the process of planning a cruise out of New Orleans for sometime next year. Any suggestions on how to research things to do and places to eat. I already know where I want to stay pre-cruise in NO; it's a B&B we have stayed at on a previous trip. Is trip advisor a good site to check things out on?

Thanks for the info on the cigarettes. I think the last time we sailed ncl was about 12 years ago and back then they did hold them till you got back to home port.

Bermuda is beautiful. It does seem a little bit of a pain to get around though. As much as I would love to see all the beauty I am not sure how patient I would be with the transportation system.

Dinner looks delicious!

Oh and Pop is for sure a Ohio thing. (and surrounding states). I also found that Michigan and Northern Ohioans have a distinct accent....Never knew that...thought I talked normal but I have been ask many times on several different trips if I am from Michigan...and then tell them well close to the line, but in Ohio. They say I have that "sound"...Who knew monotone was an accent. LOL

I am in the process of planning a cruise out of New Orleans for sometime next year. Any suggestions on how to research things to do and places to eat. I already know where I want to stay pre-cruise in NO; it's a B&B we have stayed at on a previous trip. Is trip advisor a good site to check things out on?

I'll make this short: http://www.neworleansonline.com/ can order a very good visitor's guide here.

I have used TA for research; lots of good info with a fairly active forum. I always check Yelp, esp for meals.

I prefer Frenchmen St area for music, drinks and/or food. Rec: Three Muses, small restaurant with good food, drinks and entertainment. Res'v a must in season.

Your reviews are such a breath of fresh air! I love that you give the good and the bad the way you see it! It's refreshing! I was starting to get really disappointed in reading some stuff others post and I was starting to get freaked out and was like "Good Lordy what have I done booking this God forsaken cruise!" and then I read something "Your cruise is what you make of it..." so simple. After reading your Dawn review I am back to being excited...so thank you for that...

I am a Michigander that reluctantly moved to Florida two years ago. I am a "Pop' girl with that extra special "Something" in my tone of voice. Everyone I encounter says "Oh you are not from around here.." One guy said I sound like a valley girl...I don't even know what that means! Somehow I was a lil insulted..lol.

We will be sailing the Dawn in December to the Western Caribbean and I enjoyed going back and reading some of your previous reviews...hence the "I spent my whole day with you!" Thank you again!

Another vote for pop from Canada! And I thought the grass between the sidewalk and the road was called a boulevard. Still scratching my head that there's an actual "name" for this area. LOL

I took the quiz in hopes that it would detect I'm Canadian and tell me to get out of here, ya hoser but I wasn't able to answer "eh" LOL (I have been to Canada enough times to know this much lol) to any questions. So I went through all the questions and at the end it had an error and told me to try again later. Aw man. Maybe it knew!

Enjoying your review as usual. Your email folder sorting system looks just like mine. You're in good company with other OCD planners here :) I just can never understand when I'm talking to someone about their plans for port and they're winging it. (except for Freeport because we can't find anything to do there!) To each his own I guess, but to me half the fun is planning to help pass the time til the next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. I would NEVER want to wing it. That would probably result in disaster for me and missing a ship or something. :eek:

Great photos!! Love all the beautiful blue water shots. I wanted to share a couple of things that I have learned from my seven visits to Bermuda. First the white different looking roofs on the houses actually collect rain water as water is scarce on the island. Also Bermuda is governed under the laws in England which has a factor on when things close especially on Sunday. Bermudians actually look forward to the cruise ships being docked and rely on them for revenue which needs to last through the off season months. I have actually read an article regarding the impact of cruise ships in Bermuda and have spoken to a couple of locals during my visits. Bermudians like to be addressed good morning or afternoon when being approached and also no short shorts or bathing suits are suppose to be worn out and about. So from my understanding there are many cruising peeps that do not do these things and quite frankly are rude to the locals I am sorry to say I have witnessed rude behavior on the island from fellow cruisers which made me very sad. That being said, sometimes I think the locals just get aggravated with some of these things and even though these scenarios were not of your doing, the bus driver may have just taking it out on you. In general, Bermudians are very friendly and approachable. They love their island and for the most part are very helpful with information. Hoping you find the same to be true during the rest of your stay.

Oh gosh. I guess we broke all the rules. Maybe that's why they didn't like us. :eek:

I didn't know about the "good morning/afternoon" as opposed to "hello or hi" which is what we say.

No short shorts rule is definitely broken with us having mostly females in our party and we do not put our bottoms back on until our bathing suits are dry. Yuck. I would think must tourist go to and from a beach, the locals would be use to this or expect it. So if that's the case, I guess there's nothing but disrespect going on when the cruise ships are in because that's about all I seen there from most on the ship. :o

Enjoying your review of Bermuda and your pics are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this review. You are more than welcome and glad you are enjoying it. I know its a lot of work to do these reviews. I'm booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda next year. I'm just like you the planner, and every time I ask my BF/family. What they want to do, because its their vacation too. I get the "I do not know", "I do not care", "whatever you want to do". It can be frustrating some times.

Pshhh, I don't even bother to ask what they want. LOL I'll either get the same answers as you or something totally different from everyone. So, no choices from the ducklings. LOL

I have the same tough 830 camera like you. I did not get the same wrist strap like you. I got the black one that do not have the round ball on it. It can/do slip off. I had the camera for a while, but never used it in the water until my Costa Rica trip this past May. I have the floatie to strap on it, but I didn't use it. I Just made sure I tighten the strap and cup the camera in my hand when I was in the water. I never let it hang from my wrist while I was in the water. You know what, now that I'm thinking about it, that actually may be the camera strap to my Canon D10's? :confused: I honestly don't remember. But if the 830 didn't come with that strap, I might have just switched them over because I didn't like it. Hmmm, has me wondering now.

When I read the part about the exact change I was like oh oh!! I'm from NYC and use the bus and train to go to work everyday. So I knew what they meant. I'm glad everything turned out well for you and your family even though it wasn't the way you planned it. Look like you had a great first day in Bermuda.

At least you know the difference about the change. LOL You are 1 step ahead of me. :p

Your pictures are fantastic!

I have said this a few times already, lol! Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

You have brought back some wonderful memories of St. George, Bermuda. The NCL Majesty was small enough to dock there when we went in 2004 and 2005. The dock was right at the visitor's center where the stockades are. There is also a dunking re-enactment right there too.

We have never been a big fan of Tobacco Bay as it is too small. I do agree that there is an opportunity for good snorkeling and it is a bit safer than Church Bay as it is more sheltered. Even though it was small at Tobacco (the beach) I guess the one thing I have going for me is that I never stay on the beach. I'm always out in the water and there's plenty enough space in the ocean for me. :DBut, you found St. Catherine's Beach. We love it there and it has not been crowded at all when we have been either. There used to be a bar and changing/bathroom facilities but they were torn down in 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly. I did read something on the internet that said that someone new bought the beach there and then they never ended up doing anything with it. I wonder if they decided to start building it up a little since they were having some type of structure built when we were there.

There are some neat forts in the area. We were able to walk from St. Catherine's up to the fort at the opening of St. George harbor. This tiny cut in the reef was where the ships would come in. It is really small and hard to imagine that a 44,000 ton ship could get through there.

I do remember a small beach that had sea glass to the left of St. Catherine's It was a bit of a walk. I think it was called Alexandra Battery Beach. Yes, we were thinking about taking the hop on bus there and getting off, but we had decided right before we left for our cruise that we would go to sea glass beach instead because people were saying there's a lot more there to see. I may be messing the beaches in that area up. It was small and had a cement dock area as well.

You have given me some ideas for when I return to Bermuda in 2016.

I hope you have a great time in 2016 there. :)

It is only true OCD if you read this message three times:)

I....errr...um....ok.

We've been going to Bermuda since the 80's including several land trips and numerous cruises and have found the Bermudians to be gracious, helpful and kind people. We have been lost more times than I can count on mopeds and we're always able to find someone willing to provide directions. I wish your experience there had been as good as ours. We have been on the Dawn numerous times (our first PH was on the Dawn in 2002) and we love the layout and the AFT penthouses. I understand that she will be going into dry dock and hope to cruise on her again. Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts and feelings...and love the pictures.

Thanks for your comments and glad you are liking the pictures. :)

Some of these photos should be sold to National Geographic... 😁. Seriously though, this is the stuff great screensavers are made of. Hope you don't mind if I use a few of them as my PC's wallpaper!

Now you are making me blush with that statement. LOL :o

Have fun with them as a wallpaper, make sure you get one that has my good side in it. Just saying... :p

I LOVE THAT THIS IS ALREADY OVER 32 PAGES :p

So sorry. It has been a long week and not feeling well and I feel like it's never going to end. I'm going back trying to answer questions and I didn't even bother to look at who posted. My apologies. :(

Just a little background on St. Catherine's beach. Yes, there used to be full amenities there, bar, food, restrooms, etc. Across the road and up on the hill was the old Club Med that sat vacant for 20 years. Finally, a developer was going to built a high end resort there but after many false starts, changes in contracts, partners, plans and on and on, the whole project was scrapped.

Everything on the beach was demolished because it was going to be part of the new development. When everything "vaporized", the government requested the developer to restore the beach but it was never done.:( It was a very nice beach and it took some of the crowds away from small Tobacco Bay.

I took the first picture in 2007 looking up from Tobacco Bay and the second from the same spot the following year.

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

Are you sure what you were seeing was a fin and not the mucous the parrot fish secrets when it is preparing to go to bed? That mucous DOES come from a gland in the fishes mouth.

Yea, it wasn't the mucus. It was definitely a very tall and pointed fin that went straight up. And then it would put it down. Every time it would look over at me and turn around, open it's mouth, the fin would go up.

http://www.livescience.com/8979-mucus-cocoons-protect-fish-parasites.html

The other thing is that if breeds of fish are similar enough, they CAN procreate. So maybe the fish you saw was a mutt that mostly took after its Parrotfish parent but had the other parents crest? That could be a possibility. I have never ever seen one like this before. If you look at the picture, you can see the part I'm talking about. I only have one other picture of it I believe and it was also caught as it was being lowered. The thing totally freaked me out that I was snapping and swimming away while still trying to watch what it was about to do or not do. Basically, putting the crest up is a sign of "I'm a BIG fish, don't mess with me!" Then if they continue to feel threatened, they would lean forward and down somewhat so the head and mouth is lower than the tail, but not like standing on their heads - it's pre-attack. There is the typical fluttering of the fins in this position - kind of like a bull pawing the dirt prior to charging. Birds do the exact same behaviors.

I did not see the head go down or any fluttering of the fins. Just the top fin stand straight up when it turned all the way toward me and the mouth wide open and it would stay still and just stare. It did it probably about 3 times while I was in the area. It was swimming with another fish. I do know they change sexes several times, but my natural instinct was that it was like a male protecting someone (the fish it was with) or something in that area.

I'm just loving this review - it is really good and very interesting. Such a nice change from the Caribbean! Now I know it is worthwhile to go to Bermuda!

Definitely worth while.

BTW, I read your review of cave tubing in Belize and based on that we're going to the ruins and on a jungle cruise. I think I'll save my swimming through a cave for a trip to Mexico to Xplor Park!

LOL. One place I definitely want to go is to Xplor in Mexico. I have been eyeballing that since someone told me about it. :D

OMG about all the shortages on the ship. That is just ridiculous! I really think that NCL needs to rethink how they provision the shops onboard (drastic improvement needed in selection and inventory. Whoever the buyer(s) are need to be replaced with people who understand modern cruise passengers. I thought it was just me, but I noticed on Jade, Epic and Getaway that most of the stuff in the shops was mediocre, not available or too cheap to make it worthwhile to buy and bring home. Really so very disappointing when I have plenty of money to spend, yet every NCL cruise I've been on, I leave having bought nothing on the ship because I couldn't find anything worth having - not even an upscale bottle of duty free wine or liquor - what NCL carries is too inexpensive to make it worth bringing home. And why not carry a universal camera battery charger? NCL should also carry spare cellphone chargers - especially those that also work with tablets. I would think they would sell several on EVERY single cruise! If I were provisioning, I'd also carry water wallets (with NCL logo) and other useful items for going ashore. Of course, there should be things for children to make the cruise even more memorable. To me it's a no-brainer to have these things onboard in the shops but its like NCL's buyers are just flat out clueless about what modern cruisers want. Most of the stuff appears to be geared to someone in their 70's yet most passengers are considerably younger and many of them are far more affluent and could afford better quality items. AS to the clothing, why doesn't NCL form a partnership with a land based beach oriented ladies boutique such as Caribbean Joe's? To me, this isn't rocket science. It's just a question of selecting some high quality items that people actually want. So simple!

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!!! You hit the nail right on the head. It was seriously ridiculous and I could not agree more about everything you said along with the suggestions.

I always wondered why the photo shops never bothered to carry a universal charger for phones and for cameras. It looks like this ship "did" and it would be the FIRST NCL ship that I have seen that so far...although they really DIDN'T....because they were "SOLD OUT". LOL

I have got 1 VERY USEFUL thing on one of the ships before...and honestly I'm wondering if it was actually NCL or if it was Carnival now. But it's a little contraption that weighs your luggage. You simple wrap this small belt like thing around the luggage handle, turn it on, and then lift and it will tell you instantly how much the luggage weighs. It's awesome and it definitely helps me determine if I have to play "shuffling of the clothes in the suitcases" prior to leaving. LOL

It looks something like this:

modqBwt8RABkZWCQc-bYL9Q.jpg

Most awesome thing I have ever purchased on a cruise ship. :D

Love reading all your reviews; you have a beautiful family. I really appreciate all the time and effort you spend in writing your reviews and preplanning the trips. You have inspired me to become a planner. This is probably going to make you cringe when I tell you that I went to Ireland for 21 days with nothing more than a round trip airline ticket and reservation for a rental car!

Wait, are you pretty much saying you went with just the clothes on your back? Did you do a hiking trip or something? I can't even imagine.

Oh my goodness, there was someone on here once that had this awesome thread about what to do and see while walking in NOLA. I will have to look and see if I can find it for you.

Thanks for the info on the cigarettes. I think the last time we sailed ncl was about 12 years ago and back then they did hold them till you got back to home port.

Bermuda is beautiful. It does seem a little bit of a pain to get around though. As much as I would love to see all the beauty I am not sure how patient I would be with the transportation system.

Dinner looks delicious!

Oh and Pop is for sure a Ohio thing. (and surrounding states). I also found that Michigan and Northern Ohioans have a distinct accent....Never knew that...thought I talked normal but I have been ask many times on several different trips if I am from Michigan...and then tell them well close to the line, but in Ohio. They say I have that "sound"...Who knew monotone was an accent. LOL

Hmm, I have never noticed an accent in those areas. I do notice that once you go down toward the southern part of Ohio (like toward Ironton) everyone down there talks with a slang like they live in the south in Alabama. LOL

Your reviews are such a breath of fresh air! I love that you give the good and the bad the way you see it! It's refreshing! I was starting to get really disappointed in reading some stuff others post and I was starting to get freaked out and was like "Good Lordy what have I done booking this God forsaken cruise!" and then I read something "Your cruise is what you make of it..." so simple. After reading your Dawn review I am back to being excited...so thank you for that...

I am a Michigander that reluctantly moved to Florida two years ago. I am a "Pop' girl with that extra special "Something" in my tone of voice. Everyone I encounter says "Oh you are not from around here.." One guy said I sound like a valley girl...I don't even know what that means! Somehow I was a lil insulted..lol.

We will be sailing the Dawn in December to the Western Caribbean and I enjoyed going back and reading some of your previous reviews...hence the "I spent my whole day with you!" Thank you again!

Aww, I feel honotred that you spent the entire day with me. :)

Glad you are excited about your cruise again. It truly is what you make of it. Just roll with it and have fun!!!

A valley girl...I so remember that and there use to be a show on in the 80's with the valley girl....like totally. My daughter, Kendra, use to practice the voice well. LOL

Wait, are you pretty much saying you went with just the clothes on your back? Did you do a hiking trip or something? I can't even imagine.

Oh my goodness, there was someone on here once that had this awesome thread about what to do and see while walking in NOLA. I will have to look and see if I can find it for you.

Hmm, I have never noticed an accent in those areas. I do notice that once you go down toward the southern part of Ohio (like toward Ironton) everyone down there talks with a slang like they live in the south in Alabama. LOL

I had clothes for the trip but no specific plans, just knew I wanted to see as much of Ireland as I could in the 21 days and that I wanted to drive on rural roads, not major highways.

I went to school in Athens and I can definitely vouch for this. There were times the townies had such thick accents I had a hard time understanding them!

Aww so sorry to hear about the cancellation. That's a bummer. At least you found one that you like the itinerary. I have done that itinerary so many times that I swore I wasn't going back for awhile. However, I'm missing it. LOL Kendra was to go on another Western cruise...any of them, as long as they go back to Cozumel (the girls got plans lol). I was considering the Jade (since I haven't done the Jade yet) in November and it heads over that way I believe (although I think it skips Costa Maya and it "says" it goes to Belize City still??).

I would love to come, but honestly have no desire to sail the Dawn again, unless it's the only way I can get to Bermuda next year for a cheap price. :( I may be canceling it though. We'll see.

I really want to do something for February though. Next year is going to be a big year for us. I turn 50 in February and our 10 year anniversary is in May. I have some big planning to do. :D

I will definitely be doing an Alaskan cruise. I just don't know when. I will definitely hold you to that offer. :p Can you handle a wild Mitsugirly family? Just kidding. I'm pretty darn sure it would just be me, the hubby and Sakari. I don't think there's a chance in frozen world I'd get Kendra on an arctic cruise.

So wait you haven't even been on an Alaskan cruise yet and live that close? Say what???

I think we can handle your wild family! :p We have the room and love to show off our beautiful area.

Yes we have lived here for 12 years and never been on an Alaskan cruise for good reasons......Summer here is the most beautiful place we have ever seen! The Pacific Northwest in the summer will blow your mind, for this reason we have no desire to leave from late June to September. That is pretty much the cruising schedule for Alaska. All our out of state family fill our summers with visits. This August we have only 7 days without family or friends visiting! We live 1 mile from the marina our boat is moored and spend a lot of time there. Most days we can see both Mt Rainier, Mt Baker and the Cascade mountain range. The Puget Sound has a beauty all it's own. I can promise you the beauty here in the summer surpasses anywhere.

One day we will go on one, as people tell us it is only one week, but when our late fall, winters and springs are very rainy we cherish our summers.

Our anniversary is in May also, Great month! :D

Beautiful pictures of the beaches and the unfinished church! I think when I do get around to going to Bermuda, I will have some research of my own to do - the beaches and the transportation system! Hope you manage to get that camera battery charged. I mean, don't those camera shop employees know who you are?!:eek:

Stinks about stores closing at 5pm in Bermuda. We live in an area that has "blue laws" and the only things that are allowed to be open Sundays are grocery stores and drug stores. And when I was younger even THEY were closed on Sundays, then they were allowed to open, but could only sell FOOD, no misc. items. (and I am not much older than you!) Now they are allowed full sales, but the department stores, Home Depot, etc. etc are closed on Sundays. You get used to it, but I would agree that if I was cruising to an area, I would hope the stores would stay open for the time I am there.

Hope you are feeling a bit better and still VERY MUCH enjoying this review!

Valley Girl: Middle class and upper middle class girl from the San Fernando Valley (California) who would speak in a specific manner in the 1980's made famous by Frank and his daughter, Moon Zappa's cult classic parody song "Valley Girl" which makes fun of all the stereotypical things Valley Girls would say. I believe that Moon heard this type inane talk at "Like the Galleria!" and began imitating these girls and her dad, Frank Zappa heard her, thought it was funny and could be put to music to parody them. Valley Girl became his most successful hit in the US.

This song led to a movie called "Valley Girl" starring Nicholas Cage and Deborah Foreman - It's like God!!! Totally bitchin'! (LOL!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xdpFvThs

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!!! You hit the nail right on the head. It was seriously ridiculous and I could not agree more about everything you said along with the suggestions.

I always wondered why the photo shops never bothered to carry a universal charger for phones and for cameras. It looks like this ship "did" and it would be the FIRST NCL ship that I have seen that so far...although they really DIDN'T....because they were "SOLD OUT". LOL

I wonder if a lot of others feel the same about the NCL shops? Wonder if we could launch a campaign to get NCL to change what they carry onboard so they have the types of items we all really need plus some other things that actually fit with where we are cruising?

We have a suitcase scale similar to yours as well. It is a real godsend! Looking forward to the next part of your review.

I've been enjoying reading this review -- it's been very helpful planning for our upcoming Bermuda trip -- especially knowing about the HOHO bus in St. George. We are not quite as detailed in our planning as you are, but we've learned that if we don't have a plan, we tend to spend a lot of time just hanging around and not really seeing much of anything. :D

Thanks for taking so much time to share with everyone.