For those who have done Hawaii, Tahiiti, Marquesas - local performances onboard?

kazu

Fanning Island stop has a choir - very nice - for the whole time the ship is there.

Remember, this is the place for the very best prices on the whole cruise, if you are interested in shell items. They are being made better now, with nothing I bought the last time around coming apart. They used to use fishing line and the knots come undone very easily; now they are using a woven cord-like material and it is much better. You will regret not buying more there: I have, even when I knew better!

Yeah, that was a great sounding local choir/welcoming committee on the dock in Tabuaeran/Fanning IslandTabuaeran-Fanning%20Island_zps8pgjm4dr.jpg

Fanning Island stop has a choir - very nice - for the whole time the ship is there.

Remember, this is the place for the very best prices on the whole cruise, if you are interested in shell items. They are being made better now, with nothing I bought the last time around coming apart. They used to use fishing line and the knots come undone very easily; now they are using a woven cord-like material and it is much better. You will regret not buying more there: I have, even when I knew better!

WOW, thank you again - another huge tip. I posted the link for this thread on my roll call so I know others are following (or at least I hope they still are).

Really, really appreciate it. You are teaching me a lot in one innocent question. thank you, thank you, thank you.:D

Edited by kazu

Yeah, that was a great sounding local choir/welcoming committee on the dock in Tabuaeran/Fanning IslandTabuaeran-Fanning%20Island_zps8pgjm4dr.jpg

Your pictures are fabulous Copper and now, you have me really looking forward to this cruise :) Thank you so much for sharing. So appreciated :)

Boy, are you coming in handy around here!

Love seeing the photos. Yours are mucho better than mine!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Nice photo! Bet you had a hot day at the tender dock.

How come I missed you by a year each way on this cruise??

Our timing must have been off a bit! ;) Yes, bloody hot on that dock! Our (SADM's) carpenters came out to make some repairs to it (reinforce the unsteady spots) for SADM's pax and the locals

Tabuaeran-Fanning%20Island%202_zpssnhux5un.jpg

Our timing must have been off a bit! ;) Yes, bloody hot on that dock! Our (SADM's) carpenters came out to make some repairs to it (reinforce the unsteady spots) for SADM's pax and the locals

How nice of the ship - to help out the island. It's a poor one I know and I am sure it was very appreciated. wonderful :)

As noted, the on board local shows are extremely popular. You need to get there at least 30 minutes early, 45 minutes is better. Same goes for the crew shows, of which you will have both.

This cruise attracts a lot of serial HAL cruisers and they know the score, believe me. This applies to the above, the evening shows, special buffets like the fruit one, the seafood one, also the Royal Dutch High Tea; even the Techspert classes have line ups! You get used to it and it is not as bad on the Vista class, so you are in luck.

no, we were trying to figure out whether to go ashore (or if we had to) to get a cultural show.

thanks for the positive report :p

You are welcome.

Gotta make sure folks are aware of what to see and not see!

Cultural shows, yes.

Karaoke (which has a literal translation of "most people can't sing"), resounding no! :D

Apologies for hijacking your thread, Ma'am!

no hijack at all IMO :) You are making us look forward to the cruise more and more and the pics are VERY appreciated :D

As noted, the on board local shows are extremely popular. You need to get there at least 30 minutes early, 45 minutes is better. Same goes for the crew shows, of which you will have both.

This cruise attracts a lot of serial HAL cruisers and they know the score, believe me. This applies to the above, the evening shows, special buffets like the fruit one, the seafood one, also the Royal Dutch High Tea; even the Techspert classes have line ups! You get used to it and it is not as bad on the Vista class, so you are in luck.

thanks - I'm used to that (getting there early) but this is going to be my first "long" cruise that isn't on the Prinsendam, so there will be a few adjustments for this stuff ;):D

WOW, thank you again - another huge tip. I posted the link for this thread on my roll call so I know others are following (or at least I hope they still are).

:D

Yep, some of us are here. Kazu is a fantastic organizer for our roll call. And reading all this plus having the sun out today is making the waiting kind of hard. I know time is flying and will be on board in no time. (After a hopefully kinder winter than last year for the East coast and more rain and snow for the West coast.)

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Susie

Hey, Ann

How was the surprise??!!

BC Ferry as opposed to the Volendam. Yikes!!!

The ferry was a bit of a let-down! But now we are home safe and sound.

The surprise was amazing. When we boarded, we met our steward, Jun, and told him we were looking for their room - and it was one of his rooms. I think he was more excited than we were, and ushered us down to greet them. They thought we had been allowed on board to say farewell, not that we were sailing with them! I have lots of photos, and will do a thread of befores and afters for the Volendam, once our guests leave! They'll be here for a week. It is really a beautiful day here, as it was for the whole cruise to Glacier Bay and back. Fabulous!

The surprise was amazing. When we boarded, we met our steward, Jun, and told him we were looking for their room - and it was one of his rooms. I think he was more excited than we were, and ushered us down to greet them. They thought we had been allowed on board to say farewell, not that we were sailing with them! I have lots of photos, and will do a thread of befores and afters for the Volendam, once our guests leave! They'll be here for a week. It is really a beautiful day here, as it was for the whole cruise to Glacier Bay and back. Fabulous!

How nice to have a collaborator!

Glad to hear you had great weather, so you didn't miss the sun and warm days here!

Will be looking forward to your thread!!

How great that the surprise was a success!:)

Welcome home!

So glad that worked out so well - and yes, I can imagine the ferry is a big let down after getting off the Volendam.:D Welcome back.