Just off Pride: MDR food pretty meh

Seago2

Ok Carnival! I've ridden your slide, each year plummeting just a bit, but overall a good cruise value. The MDR food on Pride has just sunk to a new low.

Don't get me wrong, the service was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised as we had ATD for the first time ever. I had envisioned long lines and long dinner times. The lines moved quickly and we were always seated in the same approximate area. Requests to sit by the rail or by the window were granted. The wait staff was very nice and competent (compare to Glory B2B two summers ago where we just had to sit back and laugh at some points).

And I knew the menu hadn't changed. It's the same. Same exact food I've now been eating for years on Carnival.

But the food quality- when you can smell seafood Newburgh or penne Mariscos from three tables away you know you have a seafood issue. My god I had chateaubriand two nights ago and I make better pot roast here at home without even thinking about it. It was tough as nails- I couldn't even finish it. My son's steaks, every night, were hard for him to saw through. The rice with the seafood Newburgh was actually hard and the peas even harder. Honestly it was comical- until we got to night five and I began to dread even going to dinner. I knew bacon Mac and cheese was going to be horrible but I ordered it anyway last night, figuring I would just push the dried out chicken breast to the side, which I did. The spring rolls were cold and sitting in some kind of sauce that resembled mashed potatoes.

I give major credit to my room steward, who was great. Again, waiters were great. The lido buffet staff were jumping on plates the minute people got up. The lido food generally was better than last year on Fantasy or even Glory or Miracle in the last couple of years. The breakfast sausage has now devolved into basically a jumble of hot dogs and the eggs Benedict cannot be sawed through after sitting in the steam trays but overall the lido quality was quite good.

But- if you can't get your act together in the main dining room with food presentation, flavor and quality you have a problem. It's sad that we were reminiscing about food on Fantasy, a 25 year old ship that did not have a dry dock in the last 7 months like Pride did, while sitting on Pride. It's true what they say about Fantasy- she may be old but the crew really tries hard.

I'm sure a bunch of you will jump on to say food preference is subjective, and that's true. But these are exact same menu items that I've now had on six ships since the last significant menu change. And I know some will say "I can always find something I like" but you can't very well sit there for hours, ordering up a successive string of menu items until you find one you like. You're kind of stuck with what you ordered.

There were other things about Pride that stuck out as being poor- the vibration is crazy but I am not one to really care about that- actually we were laughing as a towel animal came alive with the vibes. And the dive in movie appears to seat about thirty. What were they thinking?

Overall, Carnival is at the point where they need to change to keep my business. It's not a matter of jumping to NCL because they're both at the bottom of the cruise barrel. But what do I do next year? Princess? Who knows but I'm not getting the seafood Newburgh again.........

Guess who owns Princess! Lol

Not Cutback Cruise Line (cheers, DD).

Carnival Corporation is the holding company for Princess, not Carnival (aka Cutback) Cruise Line. These two entities are not the same.

Nice first post and as you say, "Lol!"

Seago2, I wish you luck with your future cruising patterns and hope your next cruise exceeds all expectations with a higher quality of food that is edible.

Edited by Gryffindor55

That's too bad. We were on the Pride repositioning and had very tender steaks (no problem cutting them with a butter knife) and most of the slow roasted meats were very tender. Didn't try the seafood newburg (don't like the sauce - learned that in the past) but did enjoy a number of dishes.

I am wondering if there is a new head chef onboard or cooking team. Hard rice and peas seem like cooks who haven't quite got things done pat yet.

Happy sailings wherever you end up.

For me after dabbling with many lines, I am really enjoying the Fun that Carnival provides at a good price with excellent service.

Sorry about your experience. The meals are a big part of the cruise. We were on the Pride in mid April and had very good food. There were 7 of us and we all enjoyed our meals in the dining room. My mom had the steak several nights and enjoyed it each time. I had something different each night and enjoyed everything. None of us had the seafood newburg but I did have fish one night. Maybe the chef changed since then. Hopefully they get that resolved soon.

I know that it can be different from ship to ship, also from one cruise on a ship to the following cruise on the same ship. Sometimes the dining room food is not that great, other times it is very good.

I agree however about the "old" menu becoming boring, same old same, and I typically only cruise every second or fourth year. I was so looking forward to something different on my upcoming Victory cruise, but it looks like it will be the same old same again.

I am also a seafood snob, and must say that my last penne mariscos, and seafood newburg, were a bit smelly. I ate it anyway, and it tasted ok, and I did not get sick from it. Coming from where I do, (far east coast Canada), we know that when the fish smells, it is not at it's freshest. Since I moved "upalong", I also know that when I buy fish in the supermarket here, and bring it home to cook, it will smell fishy! Still edible, I just put in a salt water bath, and then rinse and dry it before cooking. It then smells as fresh as the day it came out of the sea. (almost)

Turns out just fine every time. Tastes fresh and does not smell. Maybe Carnival just needs to "bathe" their seafood in saline before cooking:D Sorry, I am being silly now.

I have not been on the Pride, but have usually always liked my Carnival food in the MDR. But really wish Carnival would at least step up their menu on ships that are not getting "American Table". The old menu is truly getting boring , even to me who does not cruise yearly!

Guess who owns Princess! Lol

Hi ... noticed it's your first post. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Carnival Corporation has many cruise lines under its umbrella but each operates under its own brand .... including Princess, Holland America, Carnival Cruise Lines, Cunard, Windstar, Costa, P&0, etc.

Was on Pride 24-31 May 2015. Biggest letdown was the poor quality of the MDR food at dinner. Thought escargot was great, but everything else was mediocre at best. Like OP, was also unable to saw through eggs Benedict English muffin from lido buffet. Next biggest issue was extreme vibration in aft cabin (8272). Both those issues were worse than sewer backing up through shower drain. I would cruise on Pride again but not in same cabin.

It's all coming back to me... The stuffed mushrooms in the old escargot tins, they are just awful. The baked Alaska, thin slices of Neapolitan ice cream on pound cake covered with a gelatinous fluff, definitely NOT meringue, definitely NOT coming from an oven of any kind, and with a brown strip on the top to fake as though they had been baked. I mean, I don't think anyone thinks they're baked any more but it's the farthest thing from actual baked Alaska- why not just take it off the menu? And it's served with a little mash of watermelon (?).

I really think I need to move on from Carnival.

It's all coming back to me... The stuffed mushrooms in the old escargot tins, they are just awful. The baked Alaska, thin slices of Neapolitan ice cream on pound cake covered with a gelatinous fluff, definitely NOT meringue, definitely NOT coming from an oven of any kind, and with a brown strip on the top to fake as though they had been baked. I mean, I don't think anyone thinks they're baked any more but it's the farthest thing from actual baked Alaska- why not just take it off the menu? And it's served with a little mash of watermelon (?).

Well they do have a whole new menu that they're starting on all the ships but certainly move on if you feel like you need to. Since I dont like baked Alaska anywhere I've had it served to me I never order it. No matter how will prepared it is still a waste of good ice cream.

Edited by Jana60

Was on Pride 24-31 May 2015. Biggest letdown was the poor quality of the MDR food at dinner. Thought escargot was great, but everything else was mediocre at best. Like OP, was also unable to saw through eggs Benedict English muffin from lido buffet. Next biggest issue was extreme vibration in aft cabin (8272). Both those issues were worse than sewer backing up through shower drain. I would cruise on Pride again but not in same cabin.

Certain foods do not do well with sitting in a buffet. English muffins toasted an hour or more before eating is one of them.

Well they do have a whole new menu that they're starting on all the ships but certainly move on if you feel like you need to. Since I dont like baked Alaska anywhere I've had it served to me I never order it. No matter how will prepared it is still a waste of good ice cream.

I actually like it on HAL, I don't know why I ordered it. Nothing else appealed to me, I guess.

It's just a shame to move on from Carnival IMHO. The crew, as I said, were great. I went to one Playlist production in my life and will never go back so that's not a factor. My son loves loves loves the kids club but he's about to age out and that's what's telling me it's time to move on. God knows the price is right. But honestly if you can't get your MDR food to at least keep up with where it was the year before you have a problem. And I've noticed the slide, year by year. I'm almost platinum, do I quit now? Hm.

I actually like it on HAL, I don't know why I ordered it. Nothing else appealed to me, I guess.

It's just a shame to move on from Carnival IMHO. The crew, as I said, were great. I went to one Playlist production in my life and will never go back so that's not a factor. My son loves loves loves the kids club but he's about to age out and that's what's telling me it's time to move on. God knows the price is right. But honestly if you can't get your MDR food to at least keep up with where it was the year before you have a problem. And I've noticed the slide, year by year. I'm almost platinum, do I quit now? Hm.

I would give it a try when you can get the new menu. Have been having the old one for quite a few years and do agree it has gotten boring.

We have had the new one on Glory and Liberty and enjoyed them.

I agree you need to move on. Not good to get so worked up over this.

I agree, MDR food is pretty much crap. It has to be considering how miserably low the food budget is for the cheap fares Carnival offers.

Enough with the phoney baloney "fine dining" MDR. Time to unbundle food from thecruise fare and outsource food service to a few companies. We'd have better food with Applebee's, outback steakhouse and even a Dennys onboard!

AND NO MORE SINGING WAITERS.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Look at the economics for a second. Your cruise fair costs about the same as it costs to stay in a Hampton Inn for a week. With that fare you get quite a few choices of unlimited food and some kind of entertainment every night. Oh, and the thing floats and probably burns a gallon of gas every 2 feet. You aren't going to get a Tavern on the Green meal in the MDR that serves 2000 people every night in 3 hours. Personally, I avoid the MDR. I find it silly to go through all the pomp and circumstance for a meal that is rightfully of Applebee's quality. I do like a couple good meals on vacation and I will pay extra to dine in specialty restaurants for that.

I agree you need to move on. Not good to get so worked up over this.

Hello, can't you see I'm suffering from post cruise depression ;). I always book right after a cruise ends- except last year. I waited and then lo and behold there was no early dining time left. The thing for me- I might cruise with my husband here or there but there is a ONCE A YEAR family cruise, now down to just me and one of the five sons I have. It's really important. The MDR is where we reconnoiter. It's the one thing we for sure do together each day and we really enjoy it. When it becomes comically disappointing it's time to change, I guess. The problem is my kid has always been a huge fan of the kids club- a Club 02 leader actually gave him her Club 02 jacket last year. He turns 18 on 6/22 of next year. That leaves one cruise left where he's still eligible, early next June. Do I have it in me to spend thousands on Carnival again?

Maybe Breeze would be better?

Look at the economics for a second. Your cruise fair costs about the same as it costs to stay in a Hampton Inn for a week. With that fare you get quite a few choices of unlimited food and some kind of entertainment every night. Oh, and the thing floats and probably burns a gallon of gas every 2 feet. You aren't going to get a Tavern on the Green meal in the MDR that serves 2000 people every night in 3 hours. Personally, I avoid the MDR. I find it silly to go through all the pomp and circumstance for a meal that is rightfully of Applebee's quality. I do like a couple good meals on vacation and I will pay extra to dine in specialty restaurants for that.

I get it, it's a bargain no doubt. But if I'm going to spend $1860 for the cruise fare alone, wouldn't it be better to spend $2500 or even $3000, payments made throughout the year, for something better than Carnival? And if you avoid the MDR, where do you go? Lido has one line open and honestly that food does not look good. Fine for lunch and breakfast but... We ate in the steakhouse, which was good but honestly not as good as the last few years. The 18 ounce whatever piece of meat that was had a lot of fat in it. And $70 a night to sit basically in Siberia with a kid is not viable for the whole cruise.

We actually like the whole MDR thing.

I agree, MDR food is pretty much crap. It has to be considering how miserably low the food budget is for the cheap fares Carnival offers.

Enough with the phoney baloney "fine dining" MDR. Time to unbundle food from thecruise fare and outsource food service to a few companies. We'd have better food with Applebee's, outback steakhouse and even a Dennys onboard!

AND NO MORE SINGING WAITERS.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Love the singing waiters!

We were on the Pride for 2 weeks in May and mostly agree with you about the quality of MDR food. I had the filet mignon one night and it was TERRIBLE. But short ribs were EXCELLENT. As was the skirt steak on the every day menu. I usually fill up with food so much during the day that by dinnertime I am not that hungry anyway, and go to MDR for the experience and we enjoy getting "dressed up." We also had YTD and were always seated at same area at the edge and had a WONDERFUL waitstaff led by "Stan." And Ken Byrne was a treat. French onion soup was a favorite and I ordered 3! Lobster was the best I have had in a long time. I agree with the english muffins at the breakfast buffet. I just take the egg off and put it on a fresh piece of toast. And I LOVE all the sliced beef in gravy they have every few days at lunch buffet. And a tip if you like Caesar salad: it is MUCH better at the Pizza Pirate!

I get it, it's a bargain no doubt. But if I'm going to spend $1860 for the cruise fare alone, wouldn't it be better to spend $2500 or even $3000, payments made throughout the year, for something better than Carnival?

From what I gather of your experience (and your expectations), the answer to that question is a very obvious "Yes".

If you are not happy with the product and have disappointing experiences, it's time to take your business elsewhere.

We were on the Pride for 2 weeks in May and mostly agree with you about the quality of MDR food. I had the filet mignon one night and it was TERRIBLE. But short ribs were EXCELLENT. As was the skirt steak on the every day menu. I usually fill up with food so much during the day that by dinnertime I am not that hungry anyway, and go to MDR for the experience and we enjoy getting "dressed up." We also had YTD and were always seated at same area at the edge and had a WONDERFUL waitstaff led by "Stan." And Ken Byrne was a treat. French onion soup was a favorite and I ordered 3! Lobster was the best I have had in a long time. I agree with the english muffins at the breakfast buffet. I just take the egg off and put it on a fresh piece of toast. And I LOVE all the sliced beef in gravy they have every few days at lunch buffet. And a tip if you like Caesar salad: it is MUCH better at the Pizza Pirate!

On the Pride in March Ken worked at the fixed time DR. Has he moved to ATD?

ATD is on deck 3, fixed dining is on deck 2. He was always on deck 2, but we always had a seat at the railing in about the same place and were fortunate that he was always right below us. A story: there was a rumor that a RCI ship had gone aground. Later found out it was the NCL Dawn. However, at the time our DS and family were on Liberty of the Seas and we were very nervous. DH asked Ken if he knew anything about it. He told him to go back to his dinner and not to worry, that he would find out what was going on. He left the MDR and 5 minutes later came back with a copy of the notice sent to the ship that it was the Dawn and all pax were safe. He went above and beyond and we were very grateful to him. First time we have given our maitre d a tip in a long time!!!

As you know, there is only one dining room on the Pride, with the upper level being YTD. You can hear and maybe see Ken sing from the upper level.