The ever changing tides at Carnival...

I am new to CC and cruising in general. This being said, to seems to me in the last few months as I have been getting acclimated here; there have been lots of CCL changes IMO. Though many changes are somewhat minor to me at this time but not to all here on the CC soap opera "As the Ship Docks." :rolleyes: Ha Ha Ha.

Are some of these changes happening now been in the works for a long time? Or is it just my timing here and everything coming together like a perfect storm? I understand the industry needs to keep evolving but, is the frequency of J.Heald "announcements" and the like normal things to expect from Carnival?

My cruise is 8 months out but have been mentally setting up plans/ lists, not sure how good of an idea this is. I mean I am not going out buying bottled water yet only finding out I can't bring it aboard anymore for example. Or telling my DW about her getting to go to the VIFP party she that has now changed to a drink coupon being that she is gold. These changes are rather minor but I wonder what else is in store before we travel.

The number of changes NCL made in the last few months.....most notably the service fee for room service....

The increase in fees for drinks (and maybe meals?) on RCL.

I think that it's much like the airlines - ever changing, ever evolving.

I am new to CC and cruising in general. This being said, to seems to me in the last few months as I have been getting acclimated here; there have been lots of CCL changes IMO. Though many changes are somewhat minor to me at this time but not to all here on the CC soap opera "As the Ship Docks." :rolleyes: Ha Ha Ha.

Are some of these changes happening now been in the works for a long time? Or is it just my timing here and everything coming together like a perfect storm? I understand the industry needs to keep evolving but, is the frequency of J.Heald "announcements" and the like normal things to expect from Carnival?

My cruise is 8 months out but have been mentally setting up plans/ lists, not sure how good of an idea this is. I mean I am not going out buying bottled water yet only finding out I can't bring it aboard anymore for example. Or telling my DW about her getting to go to the VIFP party she that has now changed to a drink coupon being that she is gold. These changes are rather minor but I wonder what else is in store before we travel.

Just relax & enjoy your cruise when it gets here. I'm sending you positive vibes.

Just got off Ecstasy on Friday. We are gold members and disappointed with some of the changes. I even had to ask for free bottles of water after 2nd day when they hD not appeared. I never did get my ship pin! But they really did downgrade the programs for diamond and platinum by selling FTTF which gives the person willing to pAy more the privileges others have earned over time.

I've been cruising with Carnival since the early 90's and thankfully for them, almost all of the 90k cruisers a week including myself couldn't care less about these petty changes. I do not cruise for bottled water or gold parties or to try and rat out balcony smokers and so on. Only on cruise critic are these changes escalated thousands of times over. As long as Carnival continues to provide me the excellent service they do and safely get me to my destinations I'll continue to sail with them. Don't sweat these changes. All companies in every business change. Enjoy your cruise.

i've been cruising with carnival since the early 90's and thankfully for them' date=' almost all of the 90k cruisers a week including myself couldn't care less about these petty changes. I do not cruise for bottled water or gold parties or to try and rat out balcony smokers and so on. Only on cruise critic are these changes escalated thousands of times over. As long as carnival continues to provide me the excellent service they do and safely get me to my destinations i'll continue to sail with them. Don't sweat these changes. All companies in every business change. Enjoy your cruise.[/quote']

PERFECT! :d

Edited by keystonemama

I've been cruising with Carnival since the early 90's and thankfully for them' date=' almost all of the 90k cruisers a week including myself couldn't care less about these petty changes. I do not cruise for bottled water or gold parties or to try and rat out balcony smokers and so on. Only on cruise critic are these changes escalated thousands of times over. As long as Carnival continues to provide me the excellent service they do and safely get me to my destinations I'll continue to sail with them. Don't sweat these changes. All companies in every business change. Enjoy your cruise.[/quote']

Well said, I have a great cruise every time. I don't cruise for the perks, but the good times I have.

Well said, I have a great cruise every time. I don't cruise for the perks, but the good times I have.

Another well said, from you. Carnival is excellent. I will add "don't major on the minors".

Just got off Ecstasy on Friday. We are gold members and disappointed with some of the changes. I even had to ask for free bottles of water after 2nd day when they hD not appeared. I never did get my ship pin! But they really did downgrade the programs for diamond and platinum by selling FTTF which gives the person willing to pAy more the privileges others have earned over time.

FTTF board AFTER platinum and diamond, they haven't taken anything away from platinum or diamond. FTTF pays for the perk of boarding AFTER these two groups board - including tendering.

The nickel and diming is due to strong competition among the budget cruise lines. Basically Carnival and others are trying to get their advertised prices lower, because many shop for cruises by price. Once your on the cruise, it now turns into a process of getting as money back from you as possible. You fell for the bait, now you are going to pay, one dollar at a time.

The cruise lines are following the path of airlines, as others have said. My first Carnival cruise was a great event many years ago, but what made it great has slowly disappeared one item at a time. Just like putting a lobster in a cold pot of water and slowly turning up the heat. Each item is no big deal, but they do add up. I've dropped RCL for this ans Carnival is close to being crossed off my list as well. The good news is there are cruise lines that charge more initially, but give you better value in the long run. Remember, value is based on the total price you pay, not just the cruise price.

I know exactly what you mean. I have my first RCCL cruise next year and at this point I am trying not to even think too much about it other than to plan what I will do at the various ports. By the time that cruise comes around I may have to pay for each and every meal. They are going through tons of changes as well. Same can be said for NCL and many other lines at the moment.

Welcome to what I call LIFE. It's all about change. It happens constantly with every aspect of life.

Yup, those 15 or 20 FTTF cabins sure take away a lot of the benefits for other frequent cruisers. Did you even read your post before you pushed the button to post it?

I've been cruising with Carnival since the early 90's and thankfully for them' date=' almost all of the 90k cruisers a week including myself couldn't care less about these petty changes. I do not cruise for bottled water or gold parties or to try and rat out balcony smokers and so on. Only on cruise critic are these changes escalated thousands of times over. As long as Carnival continues to provide me the excellent service they do and safely get me to my destinations I'll continue to sail with them. Don't sweat these changes. All companies in every business change. Enjoy your cruise.[/quote']

What's wrong with ratting out balcony smokers? I paid for a smoke free atmosphere, and they paid knowing that it was a smoke free atmosphere. Plus, I love my $0.22 bottle of water for loyalty!

I have seen many more positive changes in cruising over the years than I have seen negative and what many consider cutbacks I look at as good riddance to outdated and old-fashioned.

Cruising is now affordable to a great cross section of people, especially to younger families looking for a vacation that will appeal to all family members. Gone are the mostly sedentary activities...skeet shooting, shuffle board, bridge to be replaced with mini golf, basketball, running tracks, exercise equipment, hot tubs, water slides, rope courses.

Gone are the restrictive meal sittings where you showed up or you went hungry. Now you have options to eat 24/7. Gone are minuscule cabins with beds bolted to the walls or floors and a bathroom that rivaled any beat up travel trailer to be replaced with king size beds, desks, a couch, balconies, a TV in the room.

Gone are the "all inclusive" aspects...which means people who don't drink alcohol aren't forced to pay for it via their fare charges. Mostly gone are the formal nights with its outdated ball gowns and tuxes and people playing the part as though they were first class passengers on the Titanic. Now cruising is much more casual to fit into our 21st century lifestyles.

Slowly going is the psuedo "class" system where people are rewarded for having the time to travel not for spending and increasing the economics of a cruise line so they can keep fares affordable for everyone. Now more emphasis is placed on families, activities for the kids, better facilities at ports of call.

I am glad many of the, what I deem, silly things of a bygone era are gone or slowly going. I want to cruise to have a vacation "destination" where my whole family can go...from my great grand kiddies to my geriatric Aunt who still dances up a storm at the evening activities. We could care less about a free bottle of water, a pin, chocolates on our pillow, priority boarding, a "party" with a few drinks. Cruising is affordable so it allows us to buy that bottle of water, have an occasional glass of wine with dinner, pay for a few excursions, have a fru-fru coffee once in a while.

I have seen many more positive changes in cruising over the years than I have seen negative and what many consider cutbacks I look at as good riddance to outdated and old-fashioned.

Cruising is now affordable to a great cross section of people, especially to younger families looking for a vacation that will appeal to all family members. Gone are the mostly sedentary activities...skeet shooting, shuffle board, bridge to be replaced with mini golf, basketball, running tracks, exercise equipment, hot tubs, water slides, rope courses.

Gone are the restrictive meal sittings where you showed up or you went hungry. Now you have options to eat 24/7. Gone are minuscule cabins with beds bolted to the walls or floors and a bathroom that rivaled any beat up travel trailer to be replaced with king size beds, desks, a couch, balconies, a TV in the room.

Gone are the "all inclusive" aspects...which means people who don't drink alcohol aren't forced to pay for it via their fare charges. Mostly gone are the formal nights with its outdated ball gowns and tuxes and people playing the part as though they were first class passengers on the Titanic. Now cruising is much more casual to fit into our 21st century lifestyles.

Slowly going is the psuedo "class" system where people are rewarded for having the time to travel not for spending and increasing the economics of a cruise line so they can keep fares affordable for everyone. Now more emphasis is placed on families, activities for the kids, better facilities at ports of call.

I am glad many of the, what I deem, silly things of a bygone era are gone or slowly going. I want to cruise to have a vacation "destination" where my whole family can go...from my great grand kiddies to my geriatric Aunt who still dances up a storm at the evening activities. We could care less about a free bottle of water, a pin, chocolates on our pillow, priority boarding, a "party" with a few drinks. Cruising is affordable so it allows us to buy that bottle of water, have an occasional glass of wine with dinner, pay for a few excursions, have a fru-fru coffee once in a while.

Gone is the "class" system? Honey, we're just getting started. We began with access to the spa facilities when booking a spa stateroom on Splendor/Dream class. Have you seen the aft Havana pool area on Vista class ships? This is a page right out of NCL's book.

Edited by Gryffindor55

What's wrong with ratting out balcony smokers? I paid for a smoke free atmosphere, and they paid knowing that it was a smoke free atmosphere. Plus, I love my $0.22 bottle of water for loyalty!

Nothing wrong with it, but will not waste my time on something Carnival will not enforce.

Lots of changes some ok some not so good.

Cruising to us is still a great vacation at a very good price.

I agree. Great response.

Things on here get escalated a million times over. Most who utilize this board are cruise enthusiasts, so we discuss (ad nauseum sometimes) almost anything cruise related.

Things change. That's life. And it's impossible for any business to please everyone all of the time.

Enjoy your cruises.

It's certainly not just Carnival. There was a 4-year gap in our cruising, and that last cruise was only adequate regarding the main dining room food. We don't know if it was because it was NCL, or because it was an old ship, or because it was the Med, but the choices just were not there. No lobster, no shrimp cocktail, no escargot. In NCL's case, they would really prefer you pay extra for the enhanced dining choices, so maybe that's why.

It's those pesky shareholders, always demanding more profits!

Gone is the "class" system? Honey, we're just getting started. We began with access to the spa facilities when booking a spa stateroom on Splendor/Dream class. Have you seen the aft Havana pool area on Vista class ships? This is a page right out of NCL's book.

I don't give a rat's hind end if someone "pays" to be rewarded with certain perks. That isn't a "class" system....that is simple, straight forward economics. I "choose" to pay what I do...I don't expect to get a Maserati for what I spend for my little Mazda.

I don't expect to book an inside cabin on deck 1 for 50 bucks a day and expect to have the same perks as someone spending 300 bucks a day for a spa cabin. I can get those exact same perks if I "choose" to pay for them....nobody is restricting me from doing so.