Balcony Forward and Seasickness

thenoflygal

HI,

I just received a notice from Cunard for our upcoming cruise that we have been upgraded from a Sheltered Balcony (midships level 5) to a Balcony Forward room on level 11. While it is so lovely to be visited by the upgrade fairy, I am concerned about my husband and seasickness. I chose the level 5 room for that reason. Do you think we would feel too much motion in the forward room on level 11? Any experience with seasickness on a high floor being resolved by rooming in the center of the ship?

Sorry to tell you this but you will notice more movement on deck 11. Down on deck 5 it would have been very minor. Sadly an upgrade isn't necessarily a grade up if it isn't what you would be happy with.

We have only once been forward and I must admit I was very sick - though we did have a storm through BOB. We far prefer an aft cabin for this reason.

If you are unable to change to a more suitable cabin, definitely buy some anti-emetics and take them prophylactically, don't wait to feel queasy. We find Bucastem very effective.

Or go back from whence you came, as they would already have allocated your old cabin to someone else.

Best investigate seasickness medicine. A lot of people swear be sturgeon, ginger, wrist bands.

It is a clever fish! Not only does it produce caviar but now it appears that it is an anti-emetic :):):p

There WILL be more motion the impact on your DH is the variable.

In the past DW was fine fore even though she does get seasick, she now has some neurological problems and we avoid fore and aft like the plague.

We did in the past selection a not too forward cabin on 11 Deck for a past cruise.

Though we did enjoy that it was clear of any overhang and had beautiful view and sunshine, one part of that cruise was rough and I had to visit the Front Deck and obtain Seasickness pills.

It was not a pleasant evening even with pills. Did wake up ok.

Back to midship we went the next time.

We started in our cruise history midship 4 deck on the QE2 but wanted to venture to balconies.

Though it is high but midship. we started to enjoy AA Club Balcony on Deck 12. Honestly, we did not feel any effects but did have a overhang from the Sport Deck above.

Would consider personal health and feels over the location for Sunny and Fun.

But if you have concerns about being close to the water and wave, something also to consider...Just mentioning...

On the other hand, this is QM2 we're discussing. Short of following a hurricane we don't generally feel much ship movement. DW packs all her remedies but generally by the third day realizes she doesn't need them. We're in a forward stateroom as a rule and did a TA on 11.

Edited by Underwatr

Contrary to other opinions I wouldn't worry about it. You would feel some more movement forward on deck 11, compared with midships on deck 5, if there is movement, though it's all relative.

However this isn't a winter rounding of the Cape in a cruise ship; it's a July crossing on a proper ocean liner which moves far less than a normal cruise ship anyway. Take some sea sickness tablets with you, as you would on any cruise, but relax and enjoy your upgrade.

Wish the fairy would visit us :)

On the other hand, this is QM2 we're discussing. Short of following a hurricane we don't generally feel much ship movement. DW packs all her remedies but generally by the third day realizes she doesn't need them. We're in a forward stateroom as a rule and did a TA on 11.

Thank you Underwatr... I was speaking of my experience on the QM2 with the forward cabin...Also depends on the route and time of year she is cruising too.

In previous threads some people swear that there is no motion to be felt on the QM2 even in a Force 11. I didn't believe that for a moment and it was only on our sixth crossing on this ship when we experienced some real bumps mid-Atlantic. We were very much forward on 10 Deck and for two nights it seemed like riding a lift. One night I was thrown into a bulkhead and the next night my rib-cage made contact with the edge of the bathroom door. Fortunately no harm was done. Seasickness was not a problem for us as typical over-the-counter medications work. But be careful moving around. The QM2 is no doubt the most stable ship I have crossed or cruised in over a period of more than four decades. But it is a ship, not a hotel:).

Oh there definitely can be movement I was almost thrown out of bed once on deck 5. As it was I was thrown at the wall between my cabin and the one next door, terrifying my friend who was sleeping in there!

Having said that, I think it would have been much worse on another ship.

I know this is easy to say, but please try not to worry about and have a wonderful time.

Note to self - call Cunard to check my booking which is supposedly marked Absolutely No Upgrade!