What is starboard or port side?

AKygirl

So is one better than the other? When I go to NCL website and it shows the ship with room numbers ours is on the left side. Lol. Not that it really matters at this point bc we leave in less that 3 weeks(so excited, 1st cruise)!! I was just kinda wondering!

So is one better than the other? When I go to NCL website and it shows the ship with room numbers ours is on the left side. Lol. Not that it really matters at this point bc we leave in less that 3 weeks(so excited, 1st cruise)!! I was just kinda wondering!

No real difference, some itineraries it may make a small difference, but as a general rule when you are at sea you are out of sight of land anyway.

Enjoy that 1st cruise.

So is one better than the other?

For inside cabins it doesn't matter, for balconies it depends. For example when leaving New York the Statue of Liberty is on starboard side making it possible for people having cabins on that side see it from their balconies etc. Same applies also to other ports where the ship arrives/departs always in the same direction - for some people that matters and some simply do not care.

When docked in ports it doesn't matter because the direction ship is docked varies by cruise because of weather, maintenance and security requirements etc, so there is no way of telling for sure which side would be better in which port on any given cruise.

Edited by Demonyte

Easy way to remember

Post has 4 letters so does Left.

Also Port (wine) is red, so the red lights (and some lines carpet) are on the Port side.

Never thought of it the way you explained it, simple. But originally when these sailing terms were applied way back when. The wine being consumed at the time was primarily Port and as wine is always served and poured from the Left side (food is always served from the right).

That's the way I remember and being in the restaurant business most of my life it was the easiest way to remember. At least that's the bedtime story I was told. ;)

cheers...the Ump...:D

Never thought of it the way you explained it, simple. But originally when these sailing terms were applied way back when. The wine being consumed at the time was primarily Port and as wine is always served and poured from the Left side (food is always served from the right).

That's the way I remember and being in the restaurant business most of my life it was the easiest way to remember. At least that's the bedtime story I was told. ;)

And that's all it is, a bedtime story, not the origin of those terms.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/port-starboard.html

But whatever memory device works for you, go for it! :)

Edited by Turtles06

Depends on which cruise you are on and where you are going.... in general...

• port side offers a great view of the port... especially if you have a balcony. You might find privacy an issue with the public walks right next to your oceanview window (keep your curtains closed)
  • starboard would offer privacy while you can look out across the water

• some ports (Vancouver) have elevated public walkways which the public can look right into your balcony rooms
  • as mentioned... some ships load from both sides depending on the port.
  • some ships (Disney Wonder) load mainly from the starboard side on the first day... this gives Guest services more space for those wanting tickets, changes or service. But port side on excursion days as there's more space for the tour desk. The Wonder has Guest services on one side of the atrium and the Tour desk on the opposite side.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks for the clarification, I knew there was a proper explanation out there. But using my analogy works for me lol. ;)

And that is why I wouldn't go to NOAA for anything maritime. When I was at the Academy, the NOAA officers would come there for training in knowing the difference between the pointy end and the round end. They were close, but no cigar.

While their explanation of the derivation of starboard is correct, port came from "larboard" as they say, but this term derives from the use of a keel board hung on the opposite side of the ship, the "lee board". When the boat was not moving, the lee board is not required, so it is drawn up, and the boat can dock with that side against the dock. The rest, about larboard morphing into port due to docking is correct.

For inside cabins it doesn't matter, for balconies it depends. For example when leaving New York the Statue of Liberty is on starboard side making it possible for people having cabins on that side see it from their balconies etc. Same applies also to other ports where the ship arrives/departs always in the same direction - for some people that matters and some simply do not care.

Of course, were you on the port side you could simply go up to the pool deck to see the statue.

Do ships always dock with the "port" side nearest to the actual port? :eek: I've never thought of it like that

Of course, were you on the port side you could simply go up to the pool deck to see the statue.

Do ships always dock with the "port" side nearest to the actual port? :eek: I've never thought of it like that

No. Not since the introduction of keels and rudders.

• port side offers a great view of the port... especially if you have a balcony. You might find privacy an issue with the public walks right next to your oceanview window (keep your curtains closed)

This is simply incorrect. A ship may dock to either side.

Port has nothing whatsoever to do with which way the ship docks. Over all my cruises and all the ports I have visited it is pretty much 50/50.

• as mentioned... some ships load from both sides depending on the port.

Change the some to all and we are in total agreement.

• some ships (Disney Wonder) load mainly from the starboard side on the first day... this gives Guest services more space for those wanting tickets, changes or service. But port side on excursion days as there's more space for the tour desk. The Wonder has Guest services on one side of the atrium and the Tour desk on the opposite side.

Which side you embark on the first day has more to do with which dock you are at than where the pursers desk is on the ship.

Another way - thanks to Sporty's...

Red and green lights demarcate the ship's sides. Remember that the green pilot (of an aircraft) sits on the right, the experienced on the left. so Green on the right and red on the left. Port is red so Port is the the left side, aft-looking-forward.

This usually starts a discussion that goes something like this: It's a cabin, not a room. It's a deck, not a floor. It's a balcony, not a porch, etc etc etc. Right now, I'm listing to starboard from too much port! :D