Valetta Malta to Hypogeum

Cany anybody help? I am looking at visiting the Hypogeum in Valetta. I know I have to pre book. I think I catch bus 81, 82,83 to Tarxia but don't where from or how long it takes to get there. I need to work out this info before I book my tickets. Ship docks at 8.00 am and I am looking at booking a 10.00am time slot. I need to be there 15 mins before my allocated time. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Its really not that difficult, there are signs for the Tarxian temples and you can follow those and then watch for the Hypogeum signs. We found it with no problem at all and you can ask the bus driver to point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

From the Malta Public Transport web site...

This link confirms you want to take the 81 or 82 bus....

http://www.publictransport.com.mt/places-of-interests?l=1

This link lets you pick summer or winter schedules. I couldn't remember if you mentioned that in your posting. It appears to be about a 22 minute bus ride from Valletta.

http://www.publictransport.com.mt/bus-timetable-library

This link shows you the location of the Main Bus Terminus in Valletta. You need to get here to catch the bus. This is a central bus station near the Upper Barrakka Gardens.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Valletta+1/@35.8949047,14.508825,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x130e5ad2b785b041:0xc7ce9a5a3b908cc7!6m1!1e1

I think if you search this forum, you'll find instructions on finding the elevator that will take you from the cruise ship area up to the Gardens. From there you can walk to the bus terminal. It would seem that if you are truly able to leave the ship at 8:00am, you should be able to get to the Hypogeum by 9:45, but not with a lot of extra time. You might consider booking a little later. You could explore the Tarxien Temple if you're early.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Alternatively, you could take a taxi to the Hypogeum. It's not that expensive -- I did it because I was short on time. I had taken a morning excursion and had a 2:00 time slot for the Hypogeum -- was worried the bus would take too long and I'd read that the actual entrance to the Hypogeum can be a little tricky to find. (Honestly, it looks just like the door of a regular house.)

You could do that, then take the bus back at your leisure so you only pay the taxi one way...

Thank you Sauer-kraut, MeHeartCruising and cruisemon42 for your valuable answers. I think I might go with cruisemom's suggestion of the taxi just so I don't waste precious time. I would like to make the 10am time slot. Too many things to see and not enough time! Thank you all again.

We used public buses (both ways) but it can be tricky to hop off at the right stop (which is a few blocks from the Hypogeum). You catch the bus at the bus terminal which is on the top of the hill not far from the port (just ask anyone to point you in the right direction). When we got on the bus we asked the driver to please tell us where to get off and that worked well. After leaving the Hypogeum we walked up to a different bus stop about 3 blocks away (you do not use the same stop where you got off). Make sure you buy Hypogeum tickets far in advance as the most desirable times can sell-out very quickly.

Hank

Thank you Hitner for your reply. I have decided to do the 13.00 time slot and have booked tickets. This gives me enough time to work the rest of the day around here. Thank you also for your information on the Capucchin catacombs in Palermo. These are also on my must do list. Jen.

Thank you Hitner for your reply. I have decided to do the 13.00 time slot and have booked tickets. This gives me enough time to work the rest of the day around here. Thank you also for your information on the Capucchin catacombs in Palermo. These are also on my must do list. Jen.

LOL! As much as we enjoyed visiting the Hypogeum, those Catacombs in Palermo still remain one of the strangest (and fun) places we have ever seen. As to using the bus in Malta, you might want to consider we have been to Malta several times, rented cars and driven around the entire island (and also nearby Gozo) and really enjoy the country. The day we took the bus to the Hypogeum , it was just one of those fun kind of challenges to see if we could pull it off on the cheap. The result was very good :).

Hank

• 11 months later...

We walked from the cruise port to the central bus area in Valletta then took the public bus to the Paola bus stops near the Hypogeum. It was 1.50$ each way. The Tarxien temple was a 10 minute walk away. It was a delightful excursion but make sure you get Hypogeum tickets 2 months ahead of time. Allow extra time to find the buses or it would be very stressful.