Dress Code for Colonnade and Patio Grill At Dinner

Shawski

Am I correct that the dress code for the Colonnade at dinner is Elegant Casual? That means nice polo shirts are not acceptable, right?

What is the dress code for the Patio Grill at dinner? Is it something less than Elegant Casual? All of the posts that I can find regarding this are prior to the dress code change, so I'm not sure what is appropriate there.

BTW, is the Patio Grill open every evening? Are there heaters (we are going on Norwegian Fjords cruise next month)?

Here's the dress code from Seabourn's website (apologies for the huge font, I copied and pasted):

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in any public venues after 6pm.

As you can see, dress code in Patio Grill is the same as Colonnade.

Oh and edited to add, Patio Grill isn't open every evening, or it hasn't been on our recent cruises which have been 14 night plus cruises. On 7 day cruises it may open every evening.

I can't remember for sure when it's closed, but I think it was only one night out of 14. Hopefully someone else with a better memory will come along and clarify :D

Edited by Nigella

Interestingly, the Dress Code options have been changed to Formal (Optional) and Elegant Casual. No more Resort Casual. However, Elegant Casual tends to be interpreted (for men) as a collared shirt. So whilst polo shirts are not encouraged, they can be seen in The Colonnades and more particularly Patio Grill. This is particularly so when the weather is warmer. In cooler weather it matters less because jumpers or jackets tend to be worn also.

Sojourn had had heaters fitted to outdoor areas during the recent dry dock. And they work well. Quest already had them. Not sure about Odyssey.

To answer my own query, my sources reliably inform me that Patio Grill has been closed on Formal night on our recent cruises.

What's the logic of closing the Patio Grill on formal night? I would think that should be the one night it is open to accommodate those that might not want to dress formally ( particularly for a warm weather cruise).

What's the logic of closing the Patio Grill on formal night? I would think that should be the one night it is open to accommodate those that might not want to dress formally ( particularly for a warm weather cruise).

I've no idea what the logic is, I just know that according to three sets of Heralds from three recent cruises, it was closed on formal nights during each of those cruises.

There's always R2 and The Colonnade as alternatives for those who don't want to be formal.

Am I correct that the dress code for the Colonnade at dinner is Elegant Casual? That means nice polo shirts are not acceptable, right?

What is the dress code for the Patio Grill at dinner? Is it something less than Elegant Casual? All of the posts that I can find regarding this are prior to the dress code change, so I'm not sure what is appropriate there.

BTW, is the Patio Grill open every evening? Are there heaters (we are going on Norwegian Fjords cruise next month)?

Polo shirts and slacks are fine in the Colonnade and I have even seen shorts at dinner at the outdoor Sky Grill, but that was on a Greek Isles cruise. I don't think that would be a wise move in Norway! Sorry, I can't help with your question about heaters.

The Colonnade and Sky Grill are good alternatives for guests that want a more casual dining experience. Passengers that enjoy dressing up for dinner seem to prefer the Restaurant. It is great to have choices, and anyone who cruises on Seabourn should try them all.

The reason they close the Patio Grill on formal nights is staffing. First of all, there is always a reception for very large numbers of guests, with both drink and food service from 6.45 pm, which demands staff, and then the vast majority of guests choose to eat in the Restaurant. If Seabourn are to provide the level of service we all expect, they need the additional staff to be in the Restaurant that night. But the Colonnade is kept open to provide an alternative.

I'm sorry, but why do people not just adhere to the dress code?

It states a collared dress shirt, so why ask if a polo is acceptable?

A polo is day wear, and people are always trying to lower standards by pushing things that little bit further, by all means dine in your room if you dont want to adhere to the dress code, but surely packing a few shirts takes up much less room than polos,and in any situation always looks better.

Tilly - I think one problem is the descriptions - what is a 'dress shirt'? To me, it actually means the one men would wear with their dinner jacket (tuxedo). That is the usual meaning in the UK. I think it means a shirt made of fabric which is not knitted, like polo shirts, but more of woven cotton? Which could be the sort one wears with a business suit, or more casual, as in the check or striped ones men wear for casual wear in the UK, a bit smarter than a tee or polo. I know all of this is a bit nit-picking, but it is a nuisance trying to decide. I remember some years ago one line actually produced photos of the suitable type of dress for men in the evening, for the different occasions!

I'm sorry, but why do people not just adhere to the dress code?

It states a collared dress shirt, so why ask if a polo is acceptable?

A polo is day wear, and people are always trying to lower standards by pushing things that little bit further, by all means dine in your room if you dont want to adhere to the dress code, but surely packing a few shirts takes up much less room than polos,and in any situation always looks better.

Well said, I couldn't agree more, polo shirts are so bulky and HEAVY. In fact I was going to say twice as heavy, so I weighed 3 of my Polo's and 3 of my collared dress shirts, the POLO SHIRTS WEIGHED 4 TIMES MORE than the collared dress shirts !!

Plus Polo shirts do not look good over anything but a flat stomach (a beer gut we call them in Oz) where a collared shirt can disguise a stomach to a certain extent.

Same with the weight of jeans, much heavier than cotton slacks that are much more comfortable. You don't see many European men wearing jeans (or shorts either) Try and blend in with the locals instead of looking like a tourist.:)

Tilly - I think one problem is the descriptions - what is a 'dress shirt'? To me, it actually means the one men would wear with their dinner jacket (tuxedo). That is the usual meaning in the UK. I think it means a shirt made of fabric which is not knitted, like polo shirts, but more of woven cotton? Which could be the sort one wears with a business suit, or more casual, as in the check or striped ones men wear for casual wear in the UK, a bit smarter than a tee or polo. I know all of this is a bit nit-picking, but it is a nuisance trying to decide. I remember some years ago one line actually produced photos of the suitable type of dress for men in the evening, for the different occasions!

Being from the Uk myself, i understand your musings, however, we categorically know it is NOT a polo shirt. And it is not on formal night, so it is not a shirt that goes with a tux. So, I would assume most people by powers of deduction would get there in the end? However, I am surprised every day by some peoples idea of what is acceptable!

No worries. Polo shirts in the Collonade and Patio Grill are just fine. No one will throw you out or shun you.

The dress code subscribed to by you and your companion is not what you would have seen on SB a few short years ago. You are pushing the envelope downward.

Edited by oregon50

The dress code subscribed to by you and your companion is not what you would have seen on SB a few short years ago. You are pushing the envelope downward.

Absolutely agree, I would also add that I think there would be many fellow passengers who definately would shun you, because they would feel that your attitude was wholly disrespectful to them and everybody else adhering to the rules.

Exactly what they said at Downton Abbey when men had the audacity to go from white tie and tails to a tuxedo at dinner!!!!

Years ago Seabourn's brochures showed couples in tuxedos and long gowns. Try and find that in today's brochures. Times have changed!

I am usually one of the youngest on SB, and i can assure you it is actually possible to dress appropriately and be fashionably in the 21st century! All you do is show your total disregard of others who do follow the rules. If you dont want to dress for dinner why not go for Sea Dream??

On the subject of polo shirts.

Being British I concur with early comments, to me a 'dress shirt' is a shirt that a man wears with a dinner jacket. Now clearly, that's not what SB means in its dress code.

I wonder if 'dress shirt' translates from American to British as ' a shirt with a collar' ? ie not a round neck t-shirt? :confused:

I'm sure that the former dress code just stated a 'collared shirt' for gentlemen on elegant and resort casual evenings. In which case a polo shirt fits that description.

Very confused and would appreciate input from our American friends to explain what a 'dress shirt' is.

Being British I concur with early comments, to me a 'dress shirt' is a shirt that a man wears with a dinner jacket. Now clearly, that's not what SB means in its dress code.

I wonder if 'dress shirt' translates from American to British as ' a shirt with a collar' ? ie not a round neck t-shirt? :confused:

I'm sure that the former dress code just stated a 'collared shirt' for gentlemen on elegant and resort casual evenings. In which case a polo shirt fits that description.

Very confused and would appreciate input from our American friends to explain what a 'dress shirt' is.

Google "Men's Dress Shirts" and the photos should tell the tale.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Google "Men's Dress Shirts" and the photos should tell the tale.

Hmm.. because I'm in England at the moment, when I Google "Men's Dress Shirts" it brings up two different types of shirts in the first two results.:)

Firstly, what are called here "formal" shirts. Which could certainly increase the confusion when talking about a cruise line dress code.

Secondly, the "dress shirt" as I understand it - http://www.moss.co.uk/dress-shirts

So Google wasn't that much help because I'm this side of the pond. I guess a "dress shirt" in SB (American) English is what I'd call a business shirt.

I've definitely seen plenty of men wearing polo shirts and not "dress shirts" on Elegant Casual evenings.

Ok, I will give it a try....

There are are really five categories of men's shirts:

- formal dress ( aka tuxedo) shirt - this is the shirt you wear with a formal tuxedo and the shirt should always be white

- dress shirt - this is the shirt that you wear with a business suit. It can be white or most other colours. As well as have a stripe or check. My personal view is that a dress shirt should not be a very dark color such as black, or dark brown or blue, although you see some men wear those colours with a suit ( but not appropriate in a formal business environment)

- sport or casual shirt - this is a shirt with a collar that is more casual. Can be short or long sleeved and the material can be cotton, linen etc and this type of shirt usually has a pattern such as a gingham, check, plaid, stripe etc

- polo shirt - this is a casual shirt, I believe originally intended for day wear. It has a collar and is usually made of a knit material/ cotton and comes in many colours, patterns etc. Also, a rugby shirt, is basically a long sleeved polo shirt.

- t-shirt - this is your typical cotton shirt without a color. Can be short or long sleeved

The other type of shirt that has recently come back into popularity is a "band" collar shirt. It is similar to a casual/sport shirt and has a band collar vs. a full collar. Not sure how this one fits into all the various dress codes and personal standards/ expectations. I would expect it would be considered more of a " working class/ poor mans" shirt and consequently get a "shun" from those on Seabourn expecting old school formalities.

So if I interpreted Seabourn's dress code to the letter, I would only be wearing a dress shirt that I would wear with a business suit. I'd guess this was not their intention.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sunprince