Celebrity Cancelled our Cruise?!

Shanei

if a cruise is almost sold out for Sept /2016 can it still charter? this better not happen to us, I would be devastated. we have planned so much around this and read the connie in 2016 has chartered 2x now... hopefully that's it..

that happened to us for a princess cruise once- we didn't go at all after that:mad:

If booked guests are flexible about getting bumped, it might actually turn out to be a good thing. "If there are guests that are going to be displaced," Shaw continues, "I will say that the company has always sided with the guests who are booked and we have a fairly aggressive compensation program for those guests who are displaced. We offer a comparable product, Freedom [of the Seas] for Liberty for example; compensation in the form of onboard credits; and if guests choose not to take advantage of the offer, then they are fully refunded."

The bottom line? Cruise lines will only sign off on a charter if it affects a small percentage of already booked passengers. And yes, while that may be little comfort to each individual who was looking forward to a cruise vacation and suddenly has to scramble to rebook or rearrange time off from school or work, the line is true to its word. In 2007, a last-minute charter (six months out) of Legend of the Seas booted passengers from a 12-night European cruise; the line offered full refunds or the ability to switch to a similar sailing on that same ship, and compensated those who did rebook with $400 per suite or $200 per cabin. The line also reimbursed affected passengers up to $200 per person for airline change fees -- even if they booked flights independently

which connie sailings are you referring to for charter?

One portion of StarVista's business is putting together themed sea cruises. They've been running ads for the Flower Power themed cruise on the Connie. It's open to anyone who wants to sign on. The rates per cabin are a little higher than charged by Celebrity for the same cabins.

The problem with letting folks who've already booked with Celebrity is they have more than likely paid less money for the cabin, and probably a perk of some sort. StarVista charges more per cabin.

If booked guests are flexible about getting bumped, it might actually turn out to be a good thing. "If there are guests that are going to be displaced," Shaw continues, "I will say that the company has always sided with the guests who are booked and we have a fairly aggressive compensation program for those guests who are displaced. We offer a comparable product, Freedom [of the Seas] for Liberty for example; compensation in the form of onboard credits; and if guests choose not to take advantage of the offer, then they are fully refunded."

The bottom line? Cruise lines will only sign off on a charter if it affects a small percentage of already booked passengers. And yes, while that may be little comfort to each individual who was looking forward to a cruise vacation and suddenly has to scramble to rebook or rearrange time off from school or work, the line is true to its word. In 2007, a last-minute charter (six months out) of Legend of the Seas booted passengers from a 12-night European cruise; the line offered full refunds or the ability to switch to a similar sailing on that same ship, and compensated those who did rebook with $400 per suite or $200 per cabin. The line also reimbursed affected passengers up to $200 per person for airline change fees -- even if they booked flights independently

Thanks but as you say, little comfort if you are the one that has been bumped.:(

Thanks Tucson Guy for viewing!

I believe if a cruise is almost sold out a year in advance, the likelihood that the cruise would be converted to a charter would be highly unlikely.

I don't think the cruise lines take chartering and cancelling a current itinerary lightly as it can be risky. I've seen the opposite end where the cruise gets chartered by a company, then cancelled by the original company that chartered it, and either being resold to another charter or being put back on the market.

The HAL community maintains a pretty comprehensive list for its board members that outlines the charters that are occurring on their ships, as well when groups are scheduled to be on board on an existing itinerary. As you'll see if you take the number of ships in its fleet and the dates available for sailings in a year, the actual number of full charters is not large.

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2208867

It still doesn't make the customers who are receiving the calls that their cruise is cancelled any better, but again some cruise lines seem to handle the situation better than others.

Edited by absolutboy20

"the line is true to its word " -- what a joke . If we book and pay in good faith , then Celebrity chooses to cancel , how is that being true ? And what about airfares - fares not refundable from airlines - , land reservations etc etc -- holidays not changeable , pathetic compensation of $200?!? :p

?! The Bottom Line ?- its disgraceful. We have a cruise - 3 cabins booked for September - that should be OK I guess. We also have 3 cruises booked for 2016 , two already with airfares and extra accommodations and land tours. We are also looking at 3 for 2017. If we get one cancelled , we will cancel the others .

One portion of StarVista's business is putting together themed sea cruises. They've been running ads for the Flower Power themed cruise on the Connie. It's open to anyone who wants to sign on. The rates per cabin are a little higher than charged by Celebrity for the same cabins.

The problem with letting folks who've already booked with Celebrity is they have more than likely paid less money for the cabin, and probably a perk of some sort. StarVista charges more per cabin.

When a company charters a ship, they pay for the ship and crew. They have no obligation to passengers the cruise line had already booked on the ship, especially at a much lower rate. It is up to the cruise line to accomadate those folks. Star Vista has to pay the entertainers to come on board. This is not so much about the ship and cruise but more like a convention, which just happens to be on a ship.

It costs a whole lot more than the cruise line charges for a regular cruise.

But people like to see their favorite performers, which is why the Flower Power cruise and MSMC are so popular.

Edited by Diver2014

When a company charters a ship, they pay for the ship and crew. They have no obligation to passengers the cruise line had already booked on the ship, especially at a much lower rate. It is up to the cruise line to accomadate those folks. Star Vista has to pay the entertainers to come on board. This is not so much about the ship and cruise but more like a convention, which just happens to be on a ship.

It costs a whole lot more than the cruise line charges for a regular cruise.

But people like to see their favorite performers, which is why the Flower Power cruise and MSMC are so popular.

That may be true, but if the cruise line is making more money (the motivation for the cancelling of the cruise) then they should be more willing to compensate the passengers that were already booked. Certainly more than $100-200 for the inconvenience.

Personal I feel that if Celebrity charter private cruises they should do so before they put out the cruise for the general public's booking. A real pain that they allow charters after some of us have already booked the cruise.

I agree.

That may be true, but if the cruise line is making more money (the motivation for the cancelling of the cruise) then they should be more willing to compensate the passengers that were already booked. Certainly more than $100-200 for the inconvenience.

I agree, it is not the cancellation that is the problem but the way they are handled. Our 5 night cruise on Feb 29th was cancelled. The only offering was another 5 night cruise latter in March or in April. Only 2 dates were offered. I explained being a teacher, I could not change dates but would need to change ships and go with a 7 night. At first they would do nothing. I kept insisting that something should be offered for the same week. Finally, I got a $50 credit (for the cabin) and re-booked on the Reflection at the new, higher, prevailing rates.

In fact, had I booked while on board the Summit I would have got a $300 OBC but they left a message on my answering machine while I was on the Summit telling me the cruise was cancelled. We got in only once home.

I do not believe this is fairly treating customers. I wrote a letter outlining what happened. Never received a reply.

Your treatment would cause me to go to another cruise line. It's not like Celebrity/RCCL are the only players in town.

I agree, it is not the cancellation that is the problem but the way they are handled. Our 5 night cruise on Feb 29th was cancelled. The only offering was another 5 night cruise latter in March or in April. Only 2 dates were offered. I explained being a teacher, I could not change dates but would need to change ships and go with a 7 night. At first they would do nothing. I kept insisting that something should be offered for the same week. Finally, I got a $50 credit (for the cabin) and re-booked on the Reflection at the new, higher, prevailing rates.

In fact, had I booked while on board the Summit I would have got a $300 OBC but they left a message on my answering machine while I was on the Summit telling me the cruise was cancelled. We got in only once home.

I do not believe this is fairly treating customers. I wrote a letter outlining what happened. Never received a reply.

Oh I agree with you 100%! Absolutely, it is the cruise line's responsibility to compensate and accommodate their passengers. My only point was that when a company charters a ship, the passengers who had already booked don't come with the ship and must be moved, much to their inconvenience and chagrin.:eek:

That is poor. I suggest you follow it up with both the captains club host and the CEO.

Oh I agree with you 100%! Absolutely, it is the cruise line's responsibility to compensate and accommodate their passengers. My only point was that when a company charters a ship, the passengers who had already booked don't come with the ship and must be moved, much to their inconvenience and chagrin.:eek:

Yes, they want to have it (get more money) both ways.

As in many business practices, the individual customer (think the banking business) is of little or no significance to their bottom line, although some businesses are starting to recognize that their customer service needs a lot of attention. So the cruise line offers another cruise of the same value and a small OBC to hopefully satisfy the inconvenienced customer. When that customer isn't satisfied, the cruise line will go to the next step until the customer accepts an offer. Okay, everyone is happy now, right? The squeaky wheel gets the oil. The unsatisfied customer should keep hounding the cruise line until they are suitably accommodated and compensated. Happens all the time. Each individual customer complaint is handled according to procedure then made to go away. The cruise line knows there are other passengers to take the place of someone who cancels and takes their money to another cruise line. Oh well, the price of business......they just hope that not enough passengers will actually do that and in most cases, I think that is what happens.

(Note I said 'I think', as in my opinion). Businesses may say that customer satisfaction and retention is of primary importance to them and yes, to some degree, that is true but.....money talks. I've been in business 41 years and time and again, I've seen individuals dealt with according to procedure when revenue opportunities are offered to increase the bottom line of the business. I'd never, ever be a customer service rep again for any company.....I sympathized with the customer too many times, which was usually against policy. So, if you were displaced on a cruise by a charter, follow up the chain of command until you are satisfied with their

'final' offer and don't take 'that's the best we can do' for an answer.

My editorial for the day..... :eek:

Edited by Diver2014