Celebrity Cancelled our Cruise?!

Shanei

We just found out that Celebrity cancelled our Mediterranean cruise next summer because they chartered out the Equinox. We have to take one of three cruise dates they are offering instead or lose our protected rate and 123-go. We cannot make any of their 3 dates because one of us is a teacher and all three dates are at the beginning of the school year. Any advice? Has this happened to you?

We just found out that Celebrity cancelled our Mediterranean cruise next summer because they chartered out the Equinox. We have to take one of three cruise dates they are offering instead or lose our protected rate and 123-go. We cannot make any of their 3 dates because one of us is a teacher and all three dates are at the beginning of the school year. Any advice? Has this happened to you?

Sorry that this happened to you. It happened to us last year, we were given a couple of choices of dates that didn't really suit us. I asked my TA to look into a different date, and we were able to get that date, I'm pretty certain it wasn't one of the choices we were given initially. We were given a small amount of OBC, gained the promotion that was going on at the time of the rebooking, and got the same cabin for a few dollars less than the original booking price (which was a promotional rate).

I think that it is worthwhile to ask about a date that would suit you.

Edited by rotoal
Clear up the language

We were booked on the final sailing, Dubai to Rome which should have started on Easter Sunday. We were offered 3 sailings, Dubai to Singapore on the same date .Then January 2015 Singapore to Sydney or Sydney to Singapore.

None of the dates/ cruises suited us, as we also do Educational work.

Eventually we changed to a Baltic cruise on Eclipse and we were given $200 OBC.

Fortunately, the cruise also offered a beverage package and free parking at Southampton.

We got bumped from our sailing date when X decided to send the Constellation to Europe early for 2016. Fortunately, it was almost 2 years in advance. We managed to book the same room and got the usual $200 OBC.

We had this happen to us TWICE. Both on Around Japan cruises.

The first one was on the Century. The Century was to be sold to a European company. We picked one of the replacement cruises that turned out fine, Singapore to Dubai. We picked up some OBC as well.

The second one was on the Millenium for September this year (there were two Around Japan cruises we picked the first one). BOTH of those cruises were chartered, so we went with the next best, the Millenium, Japan and China for 25 October.

It was very frustrating and I was prepared to go on Princess, HAL or what we could find elsewhere, but there are very few cruises around Japan. Princess had two this year, but in the summer (don't want to go to Japan in Summer).

The replacement cruise is nice, it goes to five Japanese ports as well as Shanghai (need Chinese visa just for one port), Taiwan and ending in Hong Kong.

Ultimately, we still found a great looking cruise and picked up OBC on both. Still, it seemed that X was making it very hard for us regarding Japan.

My advice, make the best of it and enjoy your replacement cruise. They should give you some OBC as well.

Personal I feel that if Celebrity charter private cruises they should do so before they put out the cruise for the general public's booking. A real pain that they allow charters after some of us have already booked the cruise.

Personal I feel that if Celebrity charter private cruises they should do so before they put out the cruise for the general public's booking. A real pain that they allow charters after some of us have already booked the cruise.

Agree with you 100 per cent. They really seem to be jerking us around giving no thought to those who have been so loyal to them for so long.

This has not happened to me on Celebrity, but has happened to me on HAL. I was happy how HAL handled it. They allowed me to rebook on ANY HAL 7 day sailing for the same price/perks I had with my original cruise. They also paid for my airfare change fees that I incurred. They did not offer this deal; I asked for it. We ended up taking a 7 day Alaska cruise in July, in lieu of our canceled Mexican Riviera one.

Yes, it has also happened to us twice. The first time I didn't care too much but the second time I was really angry because it was on the same itinerary which we had carefully selected and we had been able to get one of the best cabins on board which we had always coveted but never been able to snare. And the cruise dates and cruises we were offered instead were unacceptable for us. It was quite a fight but at the end I was able to choose another cruise at a similar rate (prices had risen at that time and I was not prepared to pay for celebrity's charter ambitions!) and at a date I could go, even if I had to choose a lesser cabin.

So I'd really advise you to fight for a date and cruise besides the one offered to you. I'm sure Captain's Club will be able to assist you if you are a member.

I am about to book airfares for the 5 night Singapore cruise on Millennium Jan 31 and have read that there was a charter / cancellation for this cruise previously. Given that the roll-call is almost zero , and that despite the cruise being incredibly cheap but with loads of cabins not selling , I'm thinking I should wait to book the air .:confused:

Shanie, sorry to hear of your cancelled cruise. This happened to us for a 5 night sailing on Constellation for March of 2016. Celebrity was not helpful and offered us only 2 choices of different dates on the same ship. I am a teacher too so I had carefully chosen the date for our spring break week.

To make matters worse we had booked months earlier when the Canadian $ was much stronger so when we went to re-book a 7 night cruise instead (to keep the same week) the prices were 15 % higher than they had been when we booked.

We were given a 50$ OBC by Celebrity. :rolleyes: not even per person but per cabin.

Despite our frustration we did book and will try to look at this as being a 1st world problem.

Now, I'm starting to wonder about our Reflection cruise we booked instead as there is no roll call started yet. Just hoping it is not charter too!!

Sorry. I think it is going to happen with even more frequency in the future. Large affinity groups and corporate groups are seeing the profit/value in this type of trip.

I am actually on one late next year although the whole ship is not chartered, but a nice size is booked by this group. Good news is we are not taking over facilities from what I understand.

Edited by shipshape sam

The same thing happened to us last year. We were booked on the Equinox for a Mediterranean cruise in August 2015, and it was canceled for a charter - it was an Atlantis event too.

We initially took one of their offered choices but that didn't work out for us and 5 or 6 months later we switched it to a different cruise - same ship, different month. We were able to get the 123 again because it was being offered as a promotion at the time we switched the booking. We were still able to keep the OBC that had been given to us by Celebrity because the original cruise was cancelled.

Sue

The same thing happened to us last year. We were booked on the Equinox for a Mediterranean cruise in August 2015, and it was canceled for a charter - it was an Atlantis event too.

We initially took one of their offered choices but that didn't work out for us and 5 or 6 months later we switched it to a different cruise - same ship, different month. We were able to get the 123 again because it was being offered as a promotion at the time we switched the booking. We were still able to keep the OBC that had been given to us by Celebrity because the original cruise was cancelled.

Sue

Seems odd that Celebrity cancels cruise and forces you into one of three choices or you lose the benefits of your original booking. I wonder if they pick the 3 least popular sailing dates too?!

Every cruise line, bus line, airline, hotel, motel, bed & Breakfast and the list goes on, but when it happens to you it really stinks. When it happens to others it really stinks. but with over 3 billion people in the world they get away with it. Stinks!

Celebrity is definitely abandoning the" Delight the Customer" conviction. Even the $200 OBC is pathetic when you consider they are really only giving away a less than half that value in actual cost when pax use the credit to buy on ship. If Celebrity charge a premium to the charter company they are most likely making more money considering they keep a majority of cancelled pax with the OBC.

I'd rather vote with my wallet and replace the Celebrity cruise with another cruise line or book a land trip. Did a land tour this past June and it was as nice as a Celebrity cruise. Didn't miss the elite plus perks.

If my wife and I were sailing alone and Celebrity cancelled a cruise out from under us, they have to make a very sweet "make up" offer for me to do another cruise with them.

If I could re book on a cruise I wanted with out losing any perks and at the previous price, I'd just cancel and get my money back.

I would then start looking at other alternatives. It's not like there aren't other cruise lines, and shore vacations available.

If my wife and I were sailing alone and Celebrity cancelled a cruise out from under us, they have to make a very sweet "make up" offer for me to do another cruise with them.

If I could re book on a cruise I wanted with out losing any perks and at the previous price, I'd just cancel and get my money back.

I would then start looking at other alternatives. It's not like there aren't other cruise lines, and shore vacations available.

Agree

Shanie, sorry to hear of your cancelled cruise. This happened to us for a 5 night sailing on Constellation for March of 2016. Celebrity was not helpful and offered us only 2 choices of different dates on the same ship. I am a teacher too so I had carefully chosen the date for our spring break week.

To make matters worse we had booked months earlier when the Canadian $ was much stronger so when we went to re-book a 7 night cruise instead (to keep the same week) the prices were 15 % higher than they had been when we booked.

We were given a 50$ OBC by Celebrity. :rolleyes: not even per person but per cabin.

Despite our frustration we did book and will try to look at this as being a 1st world problem.

Now, I'm starting to wonder about our Reflection cruise we booked instead as there is no roll call started yet. Just hoping it is not charter too!!

What date was your March 2016 cruise on the Constellation booked for? We have a cruise booked for March 24th and March

What date was your March 2016 cruise on the Constellation booked for? We have a cruises booked for March 14th and March 28th of 2016 on the Constellation. We have not heard anything about them being cancelled.

Our Canadian Rocky and Pacific Coastal cruise was canceled out for Sept 2016 due to a charter.

We re-booked a med cruise for Oct '16 and they only gave us $100 obc. We are not very happy with Celebrity right now. They didn't admit that it was a charter until a month after it showed up as sold out.

This is the second Pacific Coastal cruise to be canceled on us. The other was on Princess.