Reminder regarding upgrades etc.once trip is paid for

drumline

Sorry if this is already somewhere already. It's been a long time since I have been on a carnival cruise. Are we still eligible for price drops and onboard credits once the cruise is paid in full or is it only until paid? Thanks!

Sorry if this is already somewhere already. It's been a long time since I have been on a carnival cruise. Are we still eligible for price drops and onboard credits once the cruise is paid in full or is it only until paid? Thanks!

You can usually claim price drops prior to final payment date, but after final payment date typically you can only claim the price drop if you booked under Early Saver rate. Carnival has also been using a rule if the price drop is for a guarantee cabin, they will not allow you to price drop to the guarantee rate. I have read a few posts though where some CSRs allowed that if you switch to letting Carnival pick your cabin.

Early Saver is not what it used to be. You can still get the price drop up to two days before sail date, but on my last 3 cruises all the price drops are listed as guaranteed cabins which you can't price match. Has anybody else noticed this?

Early Saver is not what it used to be. You can still get the price drop up to two days before sail date, but on my last 3 cruises all the price drops are listed as guaranteed cabins which you can't price match. Has anybody else noticed this?

My last ES cruise in Nov had huge price drops after final payment and they were all 'guarantees'...very frustrating.

They usually let you price match to a guarantee once as a courtesy. But only once and of course, you lose your cabin choice.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Yep, it looks like this may be the new norm for Carnival to save money. Which I do understand but it seems like trickery in telling people you will get the lowest price if you book early saver. You can usually get the guarantee once, like posted but I usually book early saver to pick my cabin. Guess I will except the price I pay to start with or change my ways and wait till after the final payment and then start looking for a deal.

My experience has been different than some of the above posters. We are doing a family cruise in 8 days (yea single digit dance). I booked and monitored four staterooms. On two or three of the rooms I got price drops as recently as one month prior to sailing. That three person 8C would just not drop. So for me ES was the right way to book.

My experience has been different than some of the above posters. We are doing a family cruise in 8 days (yea single digit dance). I booked and monitored four staterooms. On two or three of the rooms I got price drops as recently as one month prior to sailing. That three person 8C would just not drop. So for me ES was the right way to book.

Me too! For me the Past Guest rates are lower than the guarantee rate. So you bet I price matched to those! :)

On my family cruise with 11 cabins, all using the ES rate, some have received OBC, and some upgraded using the current promotion without going into the guarantee cabin/rate. When submitting the price protection/guarantee/ES form, I'm sure to list the promotion, and state the policies for ES, or that using the rate the booking is still eligible for ES guarantees. Some have also paid for upgrades (from IS or OCV), and have also maintained their ES rate. As noted, for this cruise the ES rate is not what is was in the past, and it seems like Carnival is holding tight or monitoring the ES rate compared to last years cruises when everyone was getting huge OCB or going from IS to BL guarantee in the last month of the cruise using the ES rate

They usually let you price match to a guarantee once as a courtesy. But only once and of course, you lose your cabin choice.

If you are losing your cabin choice it sounds like you are not price matching but actually being switched to a guarantee booking.

If you are losing your cabin choice it sounds like you are not price matching but actually being switched to a guarantee booking.

Whatever way you want to say it. IF you go to a guarantee price, you are matching the cabin type for a lower price. Just not a specific cabin category.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I was looking at a booking and noticed that the guarantee rate was more than the standard rate. Can someone explain to me what it means by guarantee?

A guarantee guarantees you a room in that category, or higher. Carnival assigns the room.

(Some people have been "upgraded" to higher level cabins but in much less desirable areas of the ship- which they consider a downgrade, keep in mind that when booking a guarantee you can get that category level or anything Carnival marks as a higher category.)

They are almost never more expensive than a standard rate, but are often more expensive than various discounts people qualify for.