Thievery

Chunder Worthy

What an idiot. Just shows you have to be very careful with your stuff.

Yes, you do! As crazy as this sounds a couple of years ago on the Golden (I think it was) my DH got his black baseball cap. with some golf logo stolen by a crew member. We were going thru security to get back on board @ Kauai port & they asked him to take off his hat, which he did & put it in one of the plastic bins. Then it was gone when we went thru. I made a big thing of it & told the security guy in uniform what happened. I said, "what if it had been his wallet"? They took our cabin # & right away we got a call asking for my DH to go back to the security area off the ship. He did & the guy there asked him to watch on the video of him going thur & there it was a crew member coming back with other crew members looking over the cap, then taking the cap & stuffing it in his front waist band or belt. My DH said he could tell by the video that the crew member knew it was not his & he hurried off. The security guy told my DH that he knew the guy was a crew member & that he thought he knew who it was. The hat was returned to my DH. They had the nerve to call us back in our cabin to come back down to get his cap a few minutes later. I told them " NO" you bring it to our cabin. The security video guy acted like my DH did something wrong, when they were watching the video together. That is what really made me mad & that they did not seem sorry:eek: Lesson learned: Don't trust any crew members & be careful going thru those scanners anywhere.

Your sweater may not have been stolen purposely but taken by someone who thought it was theirs.

One would hope, but it was a designer Tommy Hilfiger that I had purchased on sale at Gottschalks. It wasn't just a common sweater from Target or Walmart. Someone knew what they were doing.

So not to add to the class warfare, but my ex and I were on a cruise once and we were in a lecture in the theater. When we left, he left his camera there but realized as we got to the doors of the theater. By the time he got back to where we were sitting it was gone.

I just wouldn't chance it.

I am 70 and for some years have left my Kindle, iPod, and Boise earphones on my lounger while I go for a dip in the pool, get an ice cream or whatever. Now I may cover them with a towel or put them in a Princess tote-bag but have never had anything go missing.

On behalf of all the 70+ people out there - I am insulted. I have almost as many gadgets at the young folk. I just do not replace them whenever a new model comes out so I am smarter than the young people.

LOL!! See - I even know how to change the color of my post.

DON

I'm 70 and I have plenty of gadgets and I'm comfortable being on the bleeding edge of technology.:D

Edited by Treven

Back in 1963, I was 18, I was in the Air Force and was trained on a big computer (it was on wheels) that computed the weight and balance of cargo aircraft. This was even before I learned how to use a slide rule. Of course you young folks probably don't know what they are/were.:D

At least keep it out of sight. That way it doesn't provide an overt invitation. We usually have our blue Princess tote bag (everyone gets one) and toss the valuable stuff in there when we hit the pool.

THANK YOU! You've kindly solved the problem of what to do with my cruise card, wrap (am bringing a Velcro fastening wrap to wear over my swimsuit) and camera while I enjoy a soak in the hot tub. I will be keeping my prescription dark glasses on, so I have some decent focus-very aware the ship with be moving around so my balance will possibly be affected. I will have the walking sticks with me so I can move safely into the hot tub or pool down the steps, and will have a strap to secure the sticks safely to the railings while I enjoy a soak and get a "selfie" maybe of me sitting in the tub. That's an idea, thanks for the inspiration!

Crochetcruise :cool:

A firestorm was created by the poster who made the crack about the 70+ y/o pax. While not 70 yet (!!) but pushing it very hard, I worked in the IT industry for a large international computer manufacturer working on software as well as hardware. I have most of the electronic gadget like droid smart phone, iPod (sorry I could not resist this one Apple device), an array of computers, WiFi installation etc. So yes I know how to use electronics but I am off the original OP question.

I usually have my iPod (forgive me Lord for buying an Apple product!) and Bose noise cancelling headphones (these are great on airplanes) as well as reading material when sitting around the pool area. I put them in a shoulder bag when I am leave for any reason like the location where one deposits used beer/mixed drinks. I agree with the premise out of sight out of mind. So far I have not had a problem. I practice the same philosophy in the cabin when I am not there. Put everything away and out of sight.

Even if one is 'very private' and stays to them self for the entire cruise any (you do the qualifying) passenger next to you will [without fail] watch your stuff if politely asked should nature tell you you need to make room for the next beverage you just ordered ;). If that task is going to take more than a few minutes :eek: go back to your cabin with your possessions.

I agree with not leaving things out in the open. Just common precaution.

Just so OP doesn't get completely paranoid, we forgot an expensive camera in a lounge on a Princess ship, and a tablet in the buffet on a HAL ship. They both managed to get to the lost and found. So the ships are not full of thieves - just about the number you'd expect from a random selection of 2500 people - regardless of age :).

I agree with not leaving things out in the open. Just common precaution.

Just so OP doesn't get completely paranoid, we forgot an expensive camera in a lounge on a Princess ship, and a tablet in the buffet on a HAL ship. They both managed to get to the lost and found. So the ships are not full of thieves - just about the number you'd expect from a random selection of 2500 people - regardless of age :).

I actually think it is a bit lower than random, mainly because of the CC Cameras.

Edited by GUT2407

Thief does not have age, it can happen anywhere or any place, I work retail and you would be surprised who get caught shop lifting. Just be aware of your surroundings and be cautious no matter where you are, and have fun!!

I always carry my stuff in some sort of tote bag and leave the tote under my chair should I leave for a few minutes. I've never had a problem. I would never leave something of value out in plain sight.

I have a Travelon Anti-Theft Bag that I use when traveling. You could always get something like that and attach it to the chair. I just haven't felt the need to get that 'secure' on Princess. :)