corkage fee

cruize 15

Reminds me of a dinner on a cruise ship when one of the table mates asked how my day went.

I honestly replied that I have spent the afternoon rescuing two fail damsels in distress. Of course the table mate bit and asked what kind of distress these damsels were in.

And I answered: "They couldn't get the cork out of the bottle."

Actually they had a corkscrew in the room. Any cabin with a mini bar usually has a corkscrew too.

We have never bothered to bring wine on board. The jug wines or bar stock is more than adequate. Anyone that really knows fine wine realizes that cruise ships are not a good environment.

Both my wife and I each carry a corkscrew in our toiletries /bathroom bag. I have a double hinged, waiter style corkscrew. She has a Screwpull pocket style. Both have foil cutters. Even when you're in a Neptune Suite, you're not guaranteed to have a decent wine opener. Be prepared. (If an impromptu wine tasting breaks out, and the host doesn't have an opener, you know who gets the invite? This guy!)

Seriously though, the corkage free bottle is for in room consumption. Once you're out in the wild, you're in corkage territory.

It's been said that "if you know fine wines, cruise ships are not a good environment." I disagree. If you have the right wines, and you can control the temperature - which is the hard part - cruise ships are a fabulous place to enjoy wine. :D

Edited by POA1

The corkage fee is not for the actual uncorking of a wine bottle, it is for allowing you to bring wine you did not purchase on the ship into a dining area, bar or lounge (and lately for in-room consumption of bottles other than the fee-free one).

You pay a corkage fee even if it is a screw top bottle.

In the dining room and lounges, the free bottle of wine per adult person in a cabin -- there will be a charge of $18 (per bottle).

But if you drink it in your cabin -- no charge. Most cabins to have a corkscrew. But if your don't see one, your cabin steward should be able to get you one. But to be safe -- take your own as they may run out. We have been in PS and SA and received a bottle of wine as a gift and sometimes there wasn't a corkscrew.

You can not take your own corkscrew to the dining room or lounge.

Ok, corkscrew I will make sure we bring one.

Do they supply wine glasses in your stateroom?

Yes. There are wine glasses. If you need additional glasses, ask your room steward.

Yes. There are wine glasses. If you need additional glasses, ask your room steward.

One year we had four balcony cabins in a row and hosted a sunset champagne toast the last night of the cruise after Half Moon Cay (when you could still bring on as much wine as you wanted corkage free). We asked if we could get some glasses and ice, they asked "how much do we need?" We got the bathtub filled with ice and 72 champagne glasses! When we came back from dinner you would never have known that there was a party. :D

So, yes, extra glasses are not a problem.

One year we had four balcony cabins in a row and hosted a sunset champagne toast the last night of the cruise after Half Moon Cay (when you could still bring on as much wine as you wanted corkage free). We asked if we could get some glasses and ice, they asked "how much do we need?" We got the bathtub filled with ice and 72 champagne glasses! When we came back from dinner you would never have known that there was a party. :D

Bathtub full of ice? 72 glasses? You can't see it, but I am tipping my hat to you.

In the dining room and lounges, the free bottle of wine per adult person in a cabin -- there will be a charge of $18 (per bottle).

Had the wine steward tell us there would be the corkage fee for your bottle of wine that was a present. Made a comment that the captain would be interested to know we had to pay a corkage / pouring fee for his present. That immediately ended the discussion. It was a long cruise and we had maybe 3 gift bottles but were never charged when we brought one to dinner and they graciously exchanged the champagne for a cold bottle.

Does that mean that if I buy a $30 bottle of wine, $18 is their corkage fee and $12 is the actual wine?

At HEB this morning, I saw a lady buy two bottles of wine for $411 including sales tax. The bottles had special caps on it that looked like you needed a special tool to remove them.

Had the wine steward tell us there would be the corkage fee for your bottle of wine that was a present. Made a comment that the captain would be interested to know we had to pay a corkage / pouring fee for his present. That immediately ended the discussion. It was a long cruise and we had maybe 3 gift bottles but were never charged when we brought one to dinner and they graciously exchanged the champagne for a cold bottle.

I have taken a gift bottle of wine to dinner many times and never have been asked to pay a corkage fee. When I give the bottle to the wine steward I mention that it is a gift bottle from the ship and I also slip him/her a $5 tip to cover about what the service charge normally is on a bottle of wine.

Both my wife and I each carry a corkscrew in our toiletries /bathroom bag. I have a double hinged, waiter style corkscrew. She has a Screwpull pocket style. Both have foil cutters. Even when you're in a Neptune Suite, you're not guaranteed to have a decent wine opener. Be prepared. (If an impromptu wine tasting breaks out, and the host doesn't have an opener, you know who gets the invite? This guy!)

Seriously though, the corkage free bottle is for in room consumption. Once you're out in the wild, you're in corkage territory.

It's been said that "if you know fine wines, cruise ships are not a good environment." I disagree. If you have the right wines, and you can control the temperature - which is the hard part - cruise ships are a fabulous place to enjoy wine. :D

Not really. Yes, the cruise ship can be a wonderful place for scenery and relaxation. But it is a horrible environment for appreciation of fine wines. Save that for a more controlled environment.

There might be corkscrews in suites but they certainly are not in balcony rooms and below. I'm speaking of my personal experience only. I'm not speaking for every cabin on the ship that I haven't stayed in.

We have had corkscrews in our balcony cabins.

Bathtub full of ice? 72 glasses? You can't see it, but I am tipping my hat to you.

Thank you, since I am mostly tipping my hat to you on here. :) We had to chill two cases of sparkling wine, hence that bath tub. ;)

Incidentally, when people RSVPed for that party some asked whether they could bring their leftover booze (some bought on board for sure, some surely smuggled on). Oh, my, it was quiet a party! :O

We decided that next time we would call it a BYLOB party (bring your leftover booze).

Edited by Boytjie

Does that mean that if I buy a $30 bottle of wine, $18 is their corkage fee and $12 is the actual wine?

Corkage does not come into play when you buy a bottle of wine onboard. The price includes the cost of the wine, the mark-up in price and then they add 15% gratuity.

Not really. Yes, the cruise ship can be a wonderful place for scenery and relaxation. But it is a horrible environment for appreciation of fine wines. Save that for a more controlled environment.

That just sounds like a poor excuse to avoid decent wine or to drink plonk.

We live right smack up against the ocean in Fort Lauderdale. The atmosphere on a cruise ship is pretty much the same thing. We have nicer stemware at home, but other than that, it's kind of a wash.

I have no idea what on God's green earth blue ocean would make a cruise ship "a horrible environment for appreciation of fine wines." Do you try to drink in the hot tub? Engine room? Lido pool bathroom? ;)

If you can get the temperature right, you can enjoy fine wine just about anywhere (except airplanes at high altitude.)

You sure do know how to run a champagne toast gathering. Sounds like you had lots of fun. :)

Was that that the Eurodam cruise when we arrived back late in port and the charter group were waiting?

We live right smack up against the ocean in Fort Lauderdale. The atmosphere on a cruise ship is pretty much the same thing. We have nicer stemware at home, but other than that, it's kind of a wash.

I have no idea what on God's green earth blue ocean would make a cruise ship "a horrible environment for appreciation of fine wines." Do you try to drink in the hot tub? Engine room? Lido pool bathroom? ;)

If you can get the temperature right, you can enjoy fine wine just about anywhere (except airplanes at high altitude.)

Some day you should try to do a real wine tasting in a controlled environment and you'll see what I mean. In the meantime, please enjoy drinking whatever gives you pleasure.

You sure do know how to run a champagne toast gathering. Sounds like you had lots of fun. :)

Was that that the Eurodam cruise when we arrived back late in port and the charter group were waiting?

That sure was... 2010! We started boarding at 3 PM and we sailed at 7 PM.

What happens at high altitudes? Besides early impairment?