Suite questions and 4perks deal questions

Hi there,

Hoping a few of you can offer me some answers to my questions. It has been 2 years since we've cruised, by the time we cruise next October 2016 it will have been 3 years. Lots I'm sure has changed. So I booked today for a 7 night in a penthouse aft. On NCL jewel. What all is included with a suite?

Do we tip the butler separate from the auto gratuities? I'm assuming yes, but I need to ask since we've not sailed having a butler or suite before.

What is a butler used for?

Does the room have free sodas and waters stocked daily or just once at the beginning?

We were given 4 perks for free.....we received the ultimate beverage package....never heard of this, read a little but not sure I get it, I'm aware there is an 18% gratuity charge, now is this per drink? Or 18% for the package per person upfront?

We also got the ultimate dining included....same question about the gratuity, is it pay per resteraunt or pay up front the entire 18%?

We got the 250 minute Internet use....can this be used in our room? My son is home schooled and he can use it on sea days to get that homework done. Lol

And we got the $75 per port excursion money... How does this work exactly? What if I don't spend it at the port? Can I use it onboard?

Thank you guys so much in advance. I'm trying to get this all figured out, so much new stuff, it's exciting! And our first time on NCL in a suite too!

Hi there,

Hoping a few of you can offer me some answers to my questions. It has been 2 years since we've cruised, by the time we cruise next October 2016 it will have been 3 years. Lots I'm sure has changed. So I booked today for a 7 night in a penthouse aft. On NCL jewel. What all is included with a suite?

Do we tip the butler separate from the auto gratuities? I'm assuming yes, but I need to ask since we've not sailed having a butler or suite before.

Does the room have free sodas and waters stocked daily or just once at the beginning?

We were given 4 perks for free.....we received the ultimate beverage package....never heard of this, read a little but not sure I get it, I'm aware there is an 18% gratuity charge, now is this per drink? Or 18% for the package per person upfront?

We also got the ultimate dining included....same question about the gratuity, is it pay per resteraunt or pay up front the entire 18%?

We got the 250 minute Internet use....can this be used in our room? My son is home schooled and he can use it on sea days to get that homework done. Lol

And we got the $75 per port excursion money... How does this work exactly? What if I don't spend it at the port? Can I use it onboard?

Thank you guys so much in advance. I'm trying to get this all figured out, so much new stuff, it's exciting! And our first time on NCL in a suite too!

I don't think the internet is fast enough for school work

Hi there,

Hi There,

Can answer some of your questions as I had the same booking a 2017 suite on Jewel as well.

The excursion credit must be used for excursions, it is listed in the fine print of the promotion. You have two options, call a 1-800 # or book on board.

I have had to use the internet for school as well (working on my masters) it is definitely only good for uploading discussion post and quick browsing.

As far as ultimate dinning and beverage the 18% gratuity is per person upfront, not per drink or restaurant. At least that is how I interpret the other threads regarding this mater.

Hope this helps

I don't think the internet is fast enough for school work

Sure it is. One can't comfortably stream/download long videos or anything like that but since people have been using the connection succesfully for even FaceTime, pretty much anything else is doable.

I'm an internet entrepreneur and I've used the internet connection onboard for work related things on every cruise we've ever taken until last summer, usually several (>4) hours per week (luckily the need for that is now finally over).

Hi there,

Hoping a few of you can offer me some answers to my questions.

Regarding suite perks, nothing has changed since you have cruised last (but then I saw at the end of your post that you haven't cruised in a suite on NCL so this is all new :)).

Your suite does not include sodas or waters (only suites with code S3/H3 or higher do), except one big bottle of still water that is in the cabin when you arrive - everything in the minibar is charged separately, even with UBP because minibar is excluded.

Yes, it is customary to tip butler at the end of the cruise according to how much you've used their service, even with service charge in suites raised to $14.95pppd recently, butler and concierge are not part of service charge pool.

You can use the internet minutes anywhere on the ship with any device that has a WiFi connection. Just make sure to specifically logout after every internet session before closing the computer etc, so that the minutes do not run out on the background.

As already answered, the gratuities on the packages are charged from you in the final payment, nothing is charged on the bills paid with those packages onboard.

The excursion credit is "use it or lose it" in every port, it is strictly for excursions in each port - you can't save the amount of one port for the next port and have $150 to spend there.

I am pretty sure that the gratuities on the packages are not charged to suite passengers. Someone posted a link to the terms and conditions of this promotion in a thread earlier this week.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure that the gratuities on the packages are not charged to suite passengers. Someone posted a link to the terms and conditions of this promotion in a thread earlier this week.

Oh yes, that is true.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

That is exciting news since we have a suite in 2017, purchased with the current promotion.

Have the UBP in January on the Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding suite perks, <snip>

Your suite does not include sodas or waters (only suites with code S3/H3 or higher do), except one big bottle of still water that is in the cabin when you arrive - <snip>

Would you happen to know about soda/water if the suites are alphabetical?

(SA through SI)?

Would you happen to know about soda/water if the suites are alphabetical?

(SA through SI)?

Suites that get sodas and waters (and 3-6 bottles of liquor) are Owner's Suites, Deluxe Owner's Suites and Garden Villas.

I booked a Jewel suite yesterday. I asked if the gratuity on the dining and drinks were already included and was told they are. I was told the new effective suite rate of $14.95 per day per person covers the butler but others on the boards say it doesn't. I will be removing my daily tips and tip cash. Since I've paid 18% already for dinner in my dining package I will tip cash at lunch (don't do breakfast). I'm told the cabin steward gets $3 pp per day (from the auto grats) and will tip in cash that amount. Last cruise I never used the butler not even once so felt no need to tip for no service rendered. If you find you use their services then tip what you feel is appropriate.

People on these boards brag about how much over and above they tip but with anything anonymous take it with a grain of salt and do as you see fit. Since you mention a child you're auto gratuity if you leave it intact is $45 a day, do you feel you got that value of service? If you do then leave it alone.

I was told the new effective suite rate of $14.95 per day per person covers the butler but others on the boards say it doesn't.

I'm not going to even attempt to comment on the rest of your post as I don't know where you get some of your information. Who told you the cabin stewards get $3.00 per day? What about all the other people who work to make your cruise enjoyable? Opps, I said I wasn't going to comment on that.

More importantly, who told you that the $14.95 includes the Butler? Whomever said that was is DEAD WRONG.

Just saying........

Harriet

I'm not going to even attempt to comment on the rest of your post as I don't know where you get some of your information. Who told you the cabin stewards get $3.00 per day? What about all the other people who work to make your cruise enjoyable? Opps, I said I wasn't going to comment on that.

More importantly, who told you that the $14.95 includes the Butler? Whomever said that was is DEAD WRONG.

Just saying........

Harriet

NCL told me what I wrote so take it up with them. I think perhaps you are dead wrong, but to each their own.

People on these boards brag about how much over and above they tip but with anything anonymous take it with a grain of salt and do as you see fit.
Just as people should take those that say they tip in cash with a grain of salt and do as they see fit.

NCL told me what I wrote so take it up with them. I think perhaps you are dead wrong, but to each their own.

I'm not going to argue with you but it's a known fact that if you call NCL 5 times you'll get 3 different answers.

I know for a fact.....the $14.95 does not include the Butler or Concierge.

Do as you wish, however. It's your money and your vacation.

Harriet

Just saying........

Harriet

Actually my PCC said the butler and Concierge get the extra $2.00 we suite people pay. It's funny because as a person who has never sailed outside of a suite, the extra price paid should more than cover this. But as I said he told me about five times butler and concierge were added to the suite tips due to poor tipping by cruisers in suites. I told him I found nothing that sai d this but he said the communique they had was this was the reason suite service charge was more. Funny, my $20 a day or more for each of them must not be paid by others who use the butler and concierge.

Actually my PCC said the butler and Concierge get the extra $2.00 we suite people pay. It's funny because as a person who has never sailed outside of a suite, the extra price paid should more than cover this. But as I said he told me about five times butler and concierge were added to the suite tips due to poor tipping by cruisers in suites. I told him I found nothing that sai d this but he said the communique they had was this was the reason suite service charge was more. Funny, my $20 a day or more for each of them must not be paid by others who use the butler and concierge.

I won't argue with you either. One PCC will say one thing and another PCC will say something different. As I said before, it's your vacation and your money. Do as you wish.

Harriet

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Harriet

Harriet, I don't doubt for one minute what you say is true as that has always been how we understood it to be. However, wouldn't it make complete sense now that with the increase of $2.00 to the DSC for suite guests, that that money could possibly go to the butler and concierge? As typical, we'll never know for sure until someone onboard actually asks someone 'in the know'. I would think guest services desk or, if someone has access to, the Hotel Director. Just a summation on my part. Certainly not fact.

Harriet, I don't doubt for one minute what you say is true as that has always been how we understood it to be. However, wouldn't it make complete sense now that with the increase of $2.00 to the DSC for suite guests, that that money could possibly go to the butler and concierge? As typical, we'll never know for sure until someone onboard actually asks someone 'in the know'. I would think guest services desk or, if someone has access to, the Hotel Director. Just a summation on my part. Certainly not fact.

Whoo hoo. The butler should be able to retire early splitting $2 per person per day from suite guests. Please note: sarcastic tone.

Thank you all so much for your help. I appreciate it, and this helps me understand how these perks work as well as the butler in the suite. I was not aware the larger suites get free soda and water, I thought it included the penthouse too. But that's ok that it doesn't, for $52ish dollars I can add my son a soda package. We are adding him an ultimate dining package as well for $140 which will include the 18%gratuity.

Do any of you know if over the last few years if they have added vegatarian options to the menus?

I know this can spark a debate, but I am a vegatarian and the last time we cruised there wasn't options. This is the only reason we haven't cruised in 2 years. (3 years actually by the time we sail) my husband and son are meat eaters, I am vegatarian for medical reasons. It's not that there was nothing for me to eat, it was just the same option every day. I do not deprive my husband or son, so we Did go to cagneys last time. However I just ate a tiny side dish of Mac n cheese. In the buffet it was fruit, salad, ice cream lol, I was able to eat well in the Italian resteraunt, we skipped the Brazilian meat place, and the Asian place, and we did try the French but the option they had I tried but didn't like. Just curious if any of you know if

It's true they allow you to meet with someone to plan your meals?

Someone on another thread had said that's an option, but I've never heard that before.

Thank you again so much.

Think of it this way. 2 people in the suite. 7 days. $2.00 x 7 = $14.00 per person. $28.00 total extra for the Butler and the Concierge? So, they'd, what, split that each getting a $14.00 tip each if there are 2 people in the suite for 7 days? Does that really sound right to you?

My understanding is that the extra $2.00 pp is due to the fact that the suite is bigger, takes more time to clean it, remove dishes, etc. etc. etc.

Yet, NCL's website clearly states that they are not included in the service charge.

In regard to you mentioning the HD....I did ask on my last cruise which was on the Gem last week......and that's why I believe I'm correct - in addition to what NCL website says. I also asked the Butler and Concierge - both confirmed my understanding as well.

Harriet

Thank you all so much for your help. I appreciate it, and this helps me understand how these perks work as well as the butler in the suite. I was not aware the larger suites get free soda and water, I thought it included the penthouse too. But that's ok that it doesn't, for $52ish dollars I can add my son a soda package. We are adding him an ultimate dining package as well for $140 which will include the 18%gratuity.

Do any of you know if over the last few years if they have added vegatarian options to the menus?

I know this can spark a debate, but I am a vegatarian and the last time we cruised there wasn't options. This is the only reason we haven't cruised in 2 years. (3 years actually by the time we sail) my husband and son are meat eaters, I am vegatarian for medical reasons. It's not that there was nothing for me to eat, it was just the same option every day. I do not deprive my husband or son, so we Did go to cagneys last time. However I just ate a tiny side dish of Mac n cheese. In the buffet it was fruit, salad, ice cream lol, I was able to eat well in the Italian resteraunt, we skipped the Brazilian meat place, and the Asian place, and we did try the French but the option they had I tried but didn't like. Just curious if any of you know if

It's true they allow you to meet with someone to plan your meals?

Someone on another thread had said that's an option, but I've never heard that before.

Thank you again so much.

Those who have special needs in regard to food and/or vegetarians should let special needs know this before getting on the ship. Usually, someone from the kitchen/waitstaff will check with you the day before to insure that there is something for you to eat.

Harriet