live from Island Princess

Kineticoh20

For others, don't forget that there appears to be a "suite priority" in Anytime Dining, where as long as you make a reservation (even if not first thing in the morning) you will get the table for two if you request it. At least I always have, and sometimes I've forgotten to make a reservation till 11 AM.

M.

Table for two each time and we go at different times.

I hope you continue to enjoy your cruise. Please get back to this thread and let us know which port Island Princess used for Provence. Was it actually Toulon or La Seyne-Sur-Mer. I got different answers from 2 Princess people. At this port I think it will make a big difference. Thank You :)

Edited by hpeabody

Good evening from Naples and the beautiful Amalfi coast. As it turns out L721 is the Amalfi suite. We ate on the balcony tonight as we were a little tired of the Pompei walking. I was very disappointed that after having a $1200 all inclusive package that I was charged $10 for 2 diet cokes and 2 waters as room service does not recognize the package? A little strange as I could go out and bring back a 12 pack of each with no problem at all. Oh well when in Rome...... BTW tomorrow we visit Rome. I will get some pictures of the bathroom tomorrow.

For others, don't forget that there appears to be a "suite priority" in Anytime Dining, where as long as you make a reservation (even if not first thing in the morning) you will get the table for two if you request it. At least I always have, and sometimes I've forgotten to make a reservation till 11 AM.

M.

We have not made a reservation on any night, however they do recognize me and sweep me in when I arrive.

Wonderful updates and photos of the L721 Penthouse.

Can you post balcony and bathroom photos?

Are they planning to add furniture to the side balcony, DVD player and VOD?

I will be in this exact Penthouse on the upcoming Aug 26th sailing.

Thanks for keeping us updated!!

The side balcony had 2 chairs and a table which I had moved to the rear as the rear balcony only had 1 lounge in it! Some of the other aft suites had pool lounges brought to make a set.

All Inclusive Beverage Package†

You can now relax and enjoy the convenience of an all inclusive beverage package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, sodas, lattes, cappuccinos, bottled water & more. All for just $49 USD per person per day!

†15% gratuity will be included in addition to the price. Package does not include beverages above $10, souvenir items, mini-bar items, in-room service or vending machine items. Package does not apply to Sun Princess, Sea Princess and Dawn Princess or Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess and Golden Princess voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand.

Good evening from Naples and the beautiful Amalfi coast. As it turns out L721 is the Amalfi suite. We ate on the balcony tonight as we were a little tired of the Pompei walking. I was very disappointed that after having a $1200 all inclusive package that I was charged $10 for 2 diet cokes and 2 waters as room service does not recognize the package? A little strange as I could go out and bring back a 12 pack of each with no problem at all. Oh well when in Rome...... BTW tomorrow we visit Rome. I will get some pictures of the bathroom tomorrow.

It sounds like you're having a wonderful cruise; I appreciate your eyes and ears regarding the cruise and the new L721 suite!! I look forward to the bathroom photos!

What is the turnaround time on the laundry and dry cleaning service? The unlimited service for suite guests will be "sweet" as I can pack less!! lol.

Enjoy your time in Rome.

The side balcony had 2 chairs and a table which I had moved to the rear as the rear balcony only had 1 lounge in it! Some of the other aft suites had pool lounges brought to make a set.

Agree with your thought process to move the table and chairs to the rear balcony which appears to be covered vs the side balcony.

Thanks so much for your "live" reports, so nice of you to take the time to let us all know about the Island since refit. We will be sailing the Island in cabin C728 on the deck plan it looks like the balcony has a wrap around view, but as many are finding out deck plans don't always tell the true tale. Also Princess assures me that this balcony is covered?? If you have a chance...........thanks so much,if not have a hell of a cruise.

M.

We have not made a reservation on any night, however they do recognize me and sweep me in when I arrive.

Thank you both for adding that information.

Right now, we still have traditional dining. If we like our table assignment, we will likely stay there. If not, we might try to switch to anytime at start of the cruise. Since we are not in a full suite, if we switch we will not be surprised if we are not recognized as quickly and are not swept in as quickly as those in full suites. After all,they paid for the extra attention.

thanks OP for all the info you have provided while cruising.

Thank you both for adding that information.

Right now, we still have traditional dining. If we like our table assignment, we will likely stay there. If not, we might try to switch to anytime at start of the cruise. Since we are not in a full suite, if we switch we will not be surprised if we are not recognized as quickly and are not swept in as quickly as those in full suites. After all,they paid for the extra attention.

thanks OP for all the info you have provided while cruising.

The few times we saw a line to get into anytime dining it was a short one. I just can't stand having to eat at the same time each evening.

On a concerning note for some. The vibration is defiantly a concern for Princess! Although it does not bother us and it doesn't seem to us to be any more than other ships aft vibration I did see engineers last night and again today with meters with probes on the rear carpet area. I did chat with them and they did not try to hide the fact that they are measuring vibration and due to post dry dock there does seem to be some sort of super structure issue. Again no big deal to us but might be to others.

Today we saw the Vatican and that impressed us quite a bit. The Colisseum was also an amazing sight! Seeing these incredible sights is certainly awe inspiring for the first time. We have had private tours in each port with a lovely couple and our vacation has been quite memorable.

On a concerning note for some. The vibration is defiantly a concern for Princess! Although it does not bother us and it doesn't seem to us to be any more than other ships aft vibration I did see engineers last night and again today with meters with probes on the rear carpet area. I did chat with them and they did not try to hide the fact that they are measuring vibration and due to post dry dock there does seem to be some sort of super structure issue. Again no big deal to us but might be to others.

That's concerning. :eek:

L721 and L722 are very beautiful suites and are the only 2 fleet wide with this layout. 3 sliders lots of light and ocean views everywhere. We find the side balcony never gets used. The two suites middle aft on deck 12 have very large rear balconies, much larger than ours. I would certainly be happy and even might prefer them.

All Inclusive Beverage Package†

You can now relax and enjoy the convenience of an all inclusive beverage package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, sodas, lattes, cappuccinos, bottled water & more. All for just $49 USD per person per day!

†15% gratuity will be included in addition to the price. Package does not include beverages above $10, souvenir items, mini-bar items, in-room service or vending machine items. Package does not apply to Sun Princess, Sea Princess and Dawn Princess or Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess and Golden Princess voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand.[/quote

Just because that's the policy does not make it right! Paying $1300 for a drink package and being charged for a bottle of water in your stateroom is bad business in my opinion.

Appreciate your updates. Glad you aren't letting anything bother you. Please post if you find out any information on the Aloha corner suites. Just wondering what the balcony is like and if it does wrap around like it appears in the last photos but not on the deck plan. We switched from L721. Those pictures look too much like the OS on the Royal and we hated that cabin. Just too tight.

I'd also be upset about the drink package. We have it on our cruise and always eat many of our dinners on our balcony. I also thought it was included.

Just a few thoughts in reply to some of the issues raised in this thread. I have just arrived back after 2 weeks today. To give some background we have sailed with princess for 10 years and have taken 15 cruises.

1. In Toulon you dock in sur la mer. There is a boat connection for 20 dollars return from princess, but just a 5 minute walk to the 8M sea bus is 2 euros each way.

2. The gym is awful and too hot

3. Food stunning especially the 50th anniverary meal.

4. Staff all excellent.

5. But...we were in room L711 - a new balcony room. After one night we insisted on a move as the vibrations were awful. If you put anything on the shelf above the hanger area it would literally bounce its way off! Many were unable to move as there weren't enough alternative rooms - these set up a campaign group against princess, insisting on compensation. One of them slept out in the open on the deck as it was so difficult to sleep in his room.

6. With the loss of the back pool, one of the remaining pools is always undercover. So...on sunny days the entire ship decends on one open pool area! Not great planning by Princess - we won't sail on Island Princess again sadly.

7. Enterainment worst I've ever known. Very little choice of shows and external entertainers.

We still love Princess and will continue to sail with them, but the changes to this ship are too many and has spoiled the feel of the ship. It didn't generally feel busy or crowded with the extra passengers but the inability to walk around the prom deck and sit at the tiered aft of the ship is unusual in the more modern ships.

Hope that all helps.

Edited by Halcyon guy

We are on the Sept 19 cruise on the Island. Some roll call emembers just got a e-mail from Princess changing the ports and time in port. Maybe they are trying to slow down be of the vibrations. Not happy with the shorter times in port. Athens is 3 1/2 hours shorter. Can not do much in the short time in port.

It to back Princess ruined the Island try to get more passengers aboard. It may go on our no sail list.

Pam

Pam

We moved from our cabin after one night in it, but we were still in Venice. The engines run during port to provide electric for the ship of course. Even in port the vibrations were bad, so slowing down won't be the answer. When we did set sail however the vibration s got far worse, but fortunately princess moved us that afternoon anyway. They were extremely helpful, but all the staff are aware of the problem. Said they had three engines and were trying different combinations to help the problem.

This ship was designed and built for a certain amount of cabins - by altering this it appears that the structure has been compromised in some way. It will take more time in dry dock to sort this problem out - new engine mounts maybe.

Just a few thoughts in reply to some of the issues raised in this thread. I have just arrived back after 2 weeks today. To give some background we have sailed with princess for 10 years and have taken 15 cruises.

1. In Toulon you dock in sur la mer. There is a boat connection for 20 dollars return from princess, but just a 5 minute walk to the 8M sea bus is 2 euros each way.

2. The gym is awful and too hot

3. Food stunning especially the 50th anniverary meal.

4. Staff all excellent.

5. But...we were in room L711 - a new balcony room. After one night we insisted on a move as the vibrations were awful. If you put anything on the shelf above the hanger area it would literally bounce its way off! Many were unable to move as there weren't enough alternative rooms - these set up a campaign group against princess, insisting on compensation. One of them slept out in the open on the deck as it was so difficult to sleep in his room.

6. With the loss of the back pool, one of the remaining pools is always undercover. So...on sunny days the entire ship decends on one open pool area! Not great planning by Princess - we won't sail on Island Princess again sadly.

7. Enterainment worst I've ever known. Very little choice of shows and external entertainers.

We still love Princess and will continue to sail with them, but the changes to this ship are too many and has spoiled the feel of the ship. It didn't generally feel busy or crowded with the extra passengers but the inability to walk around the prom deck and sit at the tiered aft of the ship is unusual in the more modern ships.

Hope that all helps.

Thank you for your input.

Regarding your item 1, we used the #8 bus to get to the Seyne-sur-Mer train station for our trip to Bandol. It worked well for our DIY day.

Regarding your item 5, were existing cabins adjacent to the new cabins impacted by the vibration?

Regarding your item 6, the aft pool has not been accessible to anyone other than those paying for the Sanctuary for many years. This was not a drydock change.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Hi IECal Cruiser

Regards your question on other cabins, my understanding was that those at the back of the ship (new cabins) were affected - the higher up the ship the worst it was. As I only experienced our cabin issues the rest was hearsay. Spoke to a couple by the pool who were unable to move owing to no alternative cabin and had been offered compensation but felt the amount was derisory. A fellow passenger had set up a group in this matter to follow through with princess together.

The amount of vibration in our cabin was even obvious whilst in port as the engines still run. I am not a complainer, can never remember complaining to princess about anything, but this was extreme. It stopped us sleeping. Princess were very good to us though, moving us.

Regards the sanctuary pool issue, I have never been on this ship before so apologies if I have misled. Has it always been that no one can sit at the back of the ship to enjoy the wake unless they pay for the priviege though? Just felt wrong to me.

Hope that helps.