live from Island Princess

Kineticoh20

Unless there is a wait list, there are usually less people moving INTO traditional once the cruise is underway, thus seats go wasted in traditional, or they have to seat AD people up there...

It's a problem that doesn't really have a good solution. We have been on coastal cruises where we were told the majority of guests were anytime. And there will always be lines for the most popular times. It's not life changing for us to wait.

It's a problem that doesn't really have a good solution. We have been on coastal cruises where we were told the majority of guests were anytime. And there will always be lines for the most popular times. It's not life changing for us to wait.

Princess limits the number of people in Traditional and allows as many who want to be in Anytime to be in Anytime. If Traditional gets full before the cruise, the overflow will be assigned to Anytime.

RCCL does the opposite. It limits the number in their version of Anytime. When that limit is reached, then the overflow will be assigned to traditional.

I will be boarding the Island Princess July 21st. There are some things I'd like to know about.

1/The vibration problem. Any idea if this is felt on the new aft /starboard area of Aloha deck?

2/Anytime Dining, How bad were the lines and did they allow reservations and if so for what times?

3/It seems that early on after the dry-dock there were some missed ports, Is that still happening?

4/Does Princess offer any transportation in Venice or must one walk to P. Roma to get a vaporetto?

Any help will be much appreciated

4/Does Princess offer any transportation in Venice or must one walk to P. Roma to get a vaporetto?

Princess offers a vaporetto ticket for unlimited rides between near the ship to near St. Mark's Square. If you will not use the ticket, turn it in or you will be charged. Prince is in the $15 range.

However, this vaporetto does not go down the Grand Canal. If this is your first visit to Venice, then a vaporetto down the Grand Canal is a must for most people.

Also, you do not need to walk to P. Roma if you want to take a vaporetto from there. You can take the People Mover from near the port entrance to P. Roma for one Euro each way.

Princess offers a vaporetto ticket for unlimited rides between near the ship to near St. Mark's Square. If you will not use the ticket, turn it in or you will be charged. Prince is in the $15 range.

However, this vaporetto does not go down the Grand Canal. If this is your first visit to Venice, then a vaporetto down the Grand Canal is a must for most people.

Also, you do not need to walk to P. Roma if you want to take a vaporetto from there. You can take the People Mover from near the port entrance to P. Roma for one Euro each way.

Thank You, Just the information I was looking for

Yes, I remembered that Princess, even back in 2009 wasn't in to getting you to public transportation at P. Roma! I remember the water taxi to St. Marks Square and followed up on a suggestion here that other cruise lines ran coaches from the port to P. Roma and didn't require to show your "ticket"! It was quite a deal, however, getting from ship to hotel in Venice (as cruise lines, all of them, only support your direct flight home from the ship or an extended stay where they put you? What is this "People Mover" and how often and where picked up? Would be great if it was one of those mini-trains that just ran a loop to P. Roma where both the vaparettos, the train station, and walks like into the Ghetto beckon!

Very confused regarding the remake of the Island and the new laws regarding ship size? Looking at ship search engines for summer 2016 finds multiple giant ships visiting Venice (or RT Venice). Anybody have an idea of what is happening? I see that Princess' new giant ship is visiting Venice next summer!

DJ:)

What is this "People Mover" and how often and where picked up? Would be great if it was one of those mini-trains that just ran a loop to P. Roma where both the vaparettos, the train station, and walks like into the Ghetto beckon!

The People Mover is an elevated rail that has a stop about a block from the port entrance and goes to P. Roma in one direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_People_Mover

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

The People Mover is an elevated rail that has a stop about a block from the port entrance and goes to P. Roma in one direction.]

Not to be picky - but you can travel 'either' direction, to or from cruise ship, right ?

Not to be picky - but you can travel 'either' direction, to or from cruise ship, right ?

Yes, you can ride the People Mover to or from P Roma.

Edited by Jojiboy

Do you know if the vaporetto runs late into the evening?

It connects Piazzale Roma with the city's Tronchetto Island car parking facility, via a stop near the cruise terminal.

So, from the cruise terminal stop one direction is to P. Roma and the other direction is to Tronchetto Island.

Do you know if the vaporetto runs late into the evening?

Are you asking about the Princess vaporetto or the public ones?

I do not know for sure how late the Princess one runs, but it is at least to 11 PM and probably a bit later.

It connects Piazzale Roma with the city's Tronchetto Island car parking facility, via a stop near the cruise terminal.

So, from the cruise terminal stop one direction is to P. Roma and the other direction is to Tronchetto Island.

Or in layman's terms, either direction.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Where's the LIKE button? We also find it as fast or faster to walk. We did the people mover once and then wondered why...........

In 2012 the Ruby docked at the farthest pier and it was a long enough walk to People Mover with luggage. That is when we decided to get new suitcases with four wheel spinners :-)

In 2012 the Ruby docked at the farthest pier and it was a long enough walk to People Mover with luggage. That is when we decided to get new suitcases with four wheel spinners :-)

Exactly! We had those for the first time in Venice in Nov.

Works like a charm. :D

Anyone want to do a 7-8 hour tour from Toulon? Wine tasting , Cassis, Bandol, Castelleta, etc.....

I have 4 people total.....looking for 4 more...

let me know if interested ?

Gary

Anyone want to do a 7-8 hour tour from Toulon? Wine tasting , Cassis, Bandol, Castelleta, etc.....

Gary

Btw.....it's 65 euro each

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?

Gary

Gary,

Post on the roll call for your cruise. Sounds like a wonderful tour...

Brownie9

• 4 weeks later...
I had two cabins midship C421/C423 and barely felt any vibration in either cabin. My wife is very sensitive to motion, and therefore we don't take any chances on aft or forward cabins. She indicated that she was least impacted on this cruise compared to others.

We were also on the balconies of L721 for Venice sailaway (thank you Don!) and we could barely feel any vibration for the journey out of the Guiddecca canal (albeit I'm reasonably sure we weren't full thrust).

We are on the sailing 8/14. We are spending one night after the cruise in Venice. Is there any information on how to disembark and get to your hotel. Our hotel is on the Grand Canal

Thank you,

Claudia.

We are on the sailing 8/14. We are spending one night after the cruise in Venice. Is there any information on how to disembark and get to your hotel. Our hotel is on the Grand Canal

Thank you,

Claudia.

Where are you staying in Venice? trying to finalize our hotel plans for our Sept. cruise. Thank you!

Thank you,

Claudia.

How close is a vaporetto stop to your hotel.

Assuming you have a manageable amount of luggage, walk about a block from the port entrance to the people mover and for one Euro each, take a ride to Piazza Roma.

Then cross the Piazza take a vaporetto (excessive cost to bilk the tourists) to the nearest stop to your hotel. There are two vaporetto routes that go down the Grand Canal, routes 1 and 2. One of these stops at every stop. The other only stops at about half of them. Research on the Internet can tell you if the stop you are looking for is one of the express stops or if you must take the local.

If you have too much luggage, your only choice may be to pay to take a water taxi from near the ship to near your hotel.