live from Island Princess

Kineticoh20

Hi IECal Cruiser

Regards the sanctuary pool issue, I have never been on this ship before so apologies if I have misled. Has it always been that no one can sit at the back of the ship to enjoy the wake unless they pay for the priviege though? Just felt wrong to me.

Hope that helps.

I believe that you are correct that there is no place on the Island to sit and watch the wake for free anymore. I believe Emerald deck still has a viewing area but probably no chairs. The aft viewing areas with lounge chairs on Dolphin, Caribe and Baja decks are gone and unlike most other Princess ships, many of the added aft cabins don't have aft views.

There were open decks on B,C and D (cannot recall about E) - those are obviously gone. The sanctuary pool had a great view and was sanctuary only...

Regards the sanctuary pool issue, I have never been on this ship before so apologies if I have misled. Has it always been that no one can sit at the back of the ship to enjoy the wake unless they pay for the priviege though? Just felt wrong to me.

Hope that helps.

Following up on this. The RUMOR (and I stress RUMOR) is the vibration issues are what is behind the coral princess schedule changes. Apparently they are far worse than what was found in sea trials (possibly due to weight load) and there are concerns about structural damage over the long term.

Also as far as I can tell, other than trying different engine loads, they have zero idea on options other than a refit.

We are sailing on the Island but not until 4/16. The comments about the vibrations are disturbing. I read comments about vibrations on other ships as well (Pacific Princess) but it seems the Island's vibrations are worse and are mainly in the new aft cabins. Someone mentioned concerns about structural damage from these excessive vibrations over the long run. I am a pilot and would be concerned that vibrations in my aircraft could indeed lead to structural damage, something I wouldn't want to experience. But I know nothing about what damage these vibrations could cause in a ship. Is this just something we put up with and can it be resolved easily? Is it really possible these vibrations can cause irreparable damage or am I being a silly alarmist?

If the vibration is that noticeable in port, then I would be inclined to suspect a resonance issue.

Might take them a while to work out what is going on, but assuming it is not propulsion / velocity related, as with Ocean and Pacific (which are only really bad on long sectors where they need to make 20 knots overnight), once they have got to the bottom of it, they should be able to come up with a permanent fix.

Unfortunate to hear some had bad experiences with vibrations on the Island. I was on the same cruise with Don the OP and frankly I don't think the vibrations were any more noticeable than any other cruise I've taken.

It's a large ship with many moving parts. No one should expect silence but excessive noise also shouldn't overly impact passengers. Ship is fine for the Mediterranean itinerary as you don't spend a ton of time on it. However due to some of the stated limitations earlier in thread I would probably not recommend for a lot of days at sea.

I too enjoyed the cruise. As a matter of interest was your cabin in the aft of the ship? When we moved to mid ship it was fine, but the new cabin at the back was awful. I have sailed on many cruises and accept some movement but this was dramatically different. I was on lido deck on starboard side in a balcony room.

I read about the vibration issue before I sailed and presumed it was scaremongering or people being overly dramatic. However I can confirm first hand that this is a very real problem.

I was the one who noted that, and by long term they mean years, not months... The concern is the vibrations can reduce overall longevity of the ship between refits as opposed to safety issues (things like ceilings and walls going out of plumb, increased plumbing issues as things go out of alignment, etc)

We are sailing on the Island but not until 4/16. The comments about the vibrations are disturbing. I read comments about vibrations on other ships as well (Pacific Princess) but it seems the Island's vibrations are worse and are mainly in the new aft cabins. Someone mentioned concerns about structural damage from these excessive vibrations over the long run. I am a pilot and would be concerned that vibrations in my aircraft could indeed lead to structural damage, something I wouldn't want to experience. But I know nothing about what damage these vibrations could cause in a ship. Is this just something we put up with and can it be resolved easily? Is it really possible these vibrations can cause irreparable damage or am I being a silly alarmist?

I too enjoyed the cruise. As a matter of interest was your cabin in the aft of the ship? When we moved to mid ship it was fine, but the new cabin at the back was awful. I have sailed on many cruises and accept some movement but this was dramatically different. I was on lido deck on starboard side in a balcony room.

I read about the vibration issue before I sailed and presumed it was scaremongering or people being overly dramatic. However I can confirm first hand that this is a very real problem.

I had two cabins midship C421/C423 and barely felt any vibration in either cabin. My wife is very sensitive to motion, and therefore we don't take any chances on aft or forward cabins. She indicated that she was least impacted on this cruise compared to others.

We were also on the balconies of L721 for Venice sailaway (thank you Don!) and we could barely feel any vibration for the journey out of the Guiddecca canal (albeit I'm reasonably sure we weren't full thrust).

Just a few thoughts in reply to some of the issues raised in this thread. I have just arrived back after 2 weeks today. To give some background we have sailed with princess for 10 years and have taken 15 cruises.

1. In Toulon you dock in sur la mer. There is a boat connection for 20 dollars return from princess, but just a 5 minute walk to the 8M sea bus is 2 euros each way.

2. The gym is awful and too hot

3. Food stunning especially the 50th anniverary meal.

4. Staff all excellent.

5. But...we were in room L711 - a new balcony room. After one night we insisted on a move as the vibrations were awful. If you put anything on the shelf above the hanger area it would literally bounce its way off! Many were unable to move as there weren't enough alternative rooms - these set up a campaign group against princess, insisting on compensation. One of them slept out in the open on the deck as it was so difficult to sleep in his room.

6. With the loss of the back pool, one of the remaining pools is always undercover. So...on sunny days the entire ship decends on one open pool area! Not great planning by Princess - we won't sail on Island Princess again sadly.

7. Enterainment worst I've ever known. Very little choice of shows and external entertainers.

We still love Princess and will continue to sail with them, but the changes to this ship are too many and has spoiled the feel of the ship. It didn't generally feel busy or crowded with the extra passengers but the inability to walk around the prom deck and sit at the tiered aft of the ship is unusual in the more modern ships.

Hope that all helps.

Interesting observations here - definitely agree on item 6, but I had very different experiences overall:

- Gym was surprisingly functional and right temperature; enabled my 6 mornings of workouts quite well.

- Food was only so-so at best in Horizon, deck grills and main dining room; if you want to eat well go to the specialty restaurants - this was very, very disappointing compared to past Princess cruises

- Staff was tired and worn down; perhaps there's too many people removing their Auto-Tips... I don't like that's its a bit difficult to give additional tips on demand for good service, and I'm pretty sure the staff hates it as well.

- Entertainment a bit limited in volume, but generally high quality including the comic, violinist and rock band.

- Quality of movies / concerts at pool JumboTron was poor.

Island Princess works very well for a port intensive itinerary, especially for ports that are limiting tourist volume and/or ship gross tonnage like Venice. I would hesitate for transoceanic and itineraries with more than 2-3 days at sea. You will run out of things to do and see on this ship.

I had two cabins midship C421/C423 and barely felt any vibration in either cabin. My wife is very sensitive to motion, and therefore we don't take any chances on aft or forward cabins. She indicated that she was least impacted on this cruise compared to others.

We were also on the balconies of L721 for Venice sailaway (thank you Don!) and we could barely feel any vibration for the journey out of the Guiddecca canal (albeit I'm reasonably sure we weren't full thrust).

Hi Andyman1970,

I really appreciate the update as I will be in suite L721 on the Aug 26th sailing.

What were your thoughts on suite L721 overall?

Apparently these cabin modifications were the result of Venice setting size limits for docking. We did the Barcelona/Venice itinerary on the Ruby when that size ship was AOK. I find with a port intensive itinerary a larger ship offers more diversions for extended families, so we have shifted next year to a RT Southampton British Isles with Liverpool as a port. The Caribbean Princess may now be showing its age, but it provides reliability! (Need to spend time on London-based planning to try to deal with $$$.) Perhaps the answer to Venice is a multiple-day train experience in Italy to include Venice and Padua/Verona? Have not been able to get over the fact that Barcelona/Venice and Venice/Barcelona are NOT the same itineraries, and if you start in Venice you miss Kusadasi completely (I feel that Ephesus is one of the highlights of this cruise.) Indeed, looking at itineraries next summer of same ship (British Isles) you must note variance in ports, port sequence, and even port times! Just another example of how nothing should be taken for granted?

All my best to all. DJ:)

Maybe I am getting older or because all of my prior cruises have only been 7 days, but it seemed like we were faced with near constant "up sale". Couldn't walk to the lobby or leave the ship without calls to stand for pictures. Cheesy backdrops or deck hands dressed as dressed as "gladiators", etc. We were solicited to make reservations at a specialty restaurant every time we ate in the buffet. Try to get info on the ship TV, Art sales, Jewelry specials, etc.

This was our first trip to Barcelona and we were traveling with my 74 year old mother-in-law and my 8 year old with a lot of luggage. When I asked the desk if they could get us the number to hire a driver due to our luggage (which I was carrying most of!) we were told that unless it was one of their travel connections, they couldn't help us! Turns out we didn't need a driver as there were plenty at the port, but we didn't know that!

Imagine a hotel desk telling you that they couldn't help you get a car!

That said, the rooms were nice. We had adjoining balconies on the Emerald deck. We were very happy with the anytime dinning, although I could never get a medium rare steak without sending the first one back.

We hired our own tours through APTours and two other companies and would highly recommend that option rather than the 30 or more people on each of the Princess tours.

Poor selections and content or poor quality projection?

Poor selections and poor volume management (too loud, and this coming from me, a rock band drummer of 30 years). \m/:cool:

No one really wants to see Beyonce in concert (sorry - can't call her show a concert). The Genesis and Billy Joel shows were fine.

Movie nite was hit or miss. The CD skipped and ultimately stopped during the Sound of Music movie under the stars.

Maybe I am getting older or because all of my prior cruises have only been 7 days, but it seemed like we were faced with near constant "up sale". Couldn't walk to the lobby or leave the ship without calls to stand for pictures. Cheesy backdrops or deck hands dressed as dressed as "gladiators", etc. We were solicited to make reservations at a specialty restaurant every time we ate in the buffet. Try to get info on the ship TV, Art sales, Jewelry specials, etc.

This was our first trip to Barcelona and we were traveling with my 74 year old mother-in-law and my 8 year old with a lot of luggage. When I asked the desk if they could get us the number to hire a driver due to our luggage (which I was carrying most of!) we were told that unless it was one of their travel connections, they couldn't help us! Turns out we didn't need a driver as there were plenty at the port, but we didn't know that!

That said, the rooms were nice. We had adjoining balconies on the Emerald deck. We were very happy with the anytime dinning, although I could never get a medium rare steak without sending the first one back.

We hired our own tours through APTours and two other companies and would highly recommend that option rather than the 30 or more people on each of the Princess tours.

Agree that Princess is very aggressive on upsell and in my experience far more aggressive than RCCL. I find it very annoying, but hey that's business.

I did inquire to one of the photographers regarding the incessant photo opportunities. That photographer was very candid by saying the Princess (or rather its owner Carnival) is actually punitive if the photographers don't take and sell a quota. Sounds like a Carnival sales and marketing department revamp is warranted :D

I echo your sentiments on APTours - they are very good, especially lunch at La Tagliatta.

Yet in 2016 the Island Princess is not going to Venice even one time.

Did they perhaps lose the bid on the port? Is it that time of the bidding cycle? Princess and RCCL had nothing in some ports for years......

Hi Andyman1970,

I really appreciate the update as I will be in suite L721 on the Aug 26th sailing.

What were your thoughts on suite L721 overall?

It's fine, but I'm not a good one to ask as I'm not one to spend time in the cabin. A cabin's primary function for me is sleep and shower. I get out there and meet new people on deck.

Don (OP) described the cabin well in photos. At worst, it may be disappointing for some that wish to have a wrap-around balcony.

As far as the photographers, a polite "NO THANKS" is all you need and step around them. Not sure what ship you sailed on but we have never been solicited in the HC to attend a specialty restaurant. Honestly I don't see any more upsell then in the past, and its very rare if we see any. :confused:

Do you think they throw some wires off the Promenade deck with a telephone attached to it? This is not a land hotel concierge desk. They have no way to call anyone for you shore side. For liability reasons they only use contracted/verified companies anyway.

Not even close to constant upsell.

That's why 2 people can sail on the same cruise and one would say it was a terrible experience when the other had a blast. :cool:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Unless they have arrangements with the port, none of the cruise lines can offer any services except via their contracted vendors. No ad hoc business whatsoever.

I assume you knew before your cruise that you would have a lot of luggage. Why not get transportation sorted in advance? Can't see why you blame Princess for your own lack of foresight.

Thank you both for adding that information.

Right now, we still have traditional dining. If we like our table assignment, we will likely stay there. If not, we might try to switch to anytime at start of the cruise. Since we are not in a full suite, if we switch we will not be surprised if we are not recognized as quickly and are not swept in as quickly as those in full suites. After all,they paid for the extra attention.

thanks OP for all the info you have provided while cruising.

It is passengers who wait and switch their dining to anytime that cause the problems. Many attempt to do this causing others to complain about long lines etc. Something to think about.

It is passengers who wait and switch their dining to anytime that cause the problems. Many attempt to do this causing others to complain about long lines etc. Something to think about.

Sorry I don't agree with you. As long as they are giving up their traditional table so someone else can have it and moving to Anytime for the balance of the cruise then that's fine with me. Why should anyone have to stay at a table they don't like.

Unless there is a wait list, there are usually less people moving INTO traditional once the cruise is underway, thus seats go wasted in traditional, or they have to seat AD people up there...

Sorry I don't agree with you. As long as they are giving up their traditional table so someone else can have it and moving to Anytime for the balance of the cruise then that's fine with me. Why should anyone have to stay at a table they don't like.