Docking in Darwin

GUT2407

My Darling is hoping to meet up with a fried in Darwin when we are there in October.

The friend lives about 6 hours out of town, but isn't worried about that aspect.

However we have no idea where the ship docks, or what access is like to the dock.

Anyone know.

Or are we better to just arrange to meet up in town somewhere?

My Darling is hoping to meet up with a fried in Darwin when we are there in October.

The friend lives about 6 hours out of town, but isn't worried about that aspect.

However we have no idea where the ship docks, or what access is like to the dock.

Anyone know.

Or are we better to just arrange to meet up in town somewhere?

Absolutely NO WORRIES.

Darwin is well set up for cruise passengers and only has the has the one area for ships to dock . It has a modern cruise Terminal with heaps and heaps of parking in front of it.Just arrange to meet outside the terminal entrance.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Absolutely NO WORRIES.

Darwin is well set up for cruise passengers and only has the has the one area for ships to dock . It has a modern cruise Terminal with heaps and heaps of parking in front of it.Just arrange to meet outside the terminal entrance.

Thanks I actually asked someone who lives in Darwin itself and they had no idea where the ship docks.

The ship docks fairly close to town and you can easily walk into the city centre. The dock area is quite nice now, with lots of restaurants and a park built there.

Easy access for collection.

The ship docks fairly close to town and you can easily walk into the city centre. The dock area is quite nice now, with lots of restaurants and a park built there.

Easy access for collection.

Thanks sounds like her friend should have no trouble finding us one way or the other.

If you look at Google Maps you'll spot the dock quite easily. Close to the conference centre which seems to show up first.

Thanks, surely she can find the conference centre.

The port is almost in the city centre so there should be no problem with your wife's friend finding it. There are restaurants, shops, parklands and a wave pool. There is also a lift which takes you to street level and from there it's a short walk into the city.

If in doubt, your wife could arrange to meet her friend in the mall as the street from the port basically heads straight to the mall.

Just be aware, that on one occasion we had to dock on the opposite side of the harbour at an industrial port as there was already a ship at the cruise terminal. Not sure how this came about as we were scheduled to dock at the cruise terminal.

There were shuttles into the city from the industrial terminal as it was a long way out :eek:

Out of 4 visits on a variety of ships this has only happened once so I doubt that it will happen to you.

The port is almost in the city centre so there should be no problem with your wife's friend finding it. There are restaurants, shops, parklands and a wave pool. There is also a lift which takes you to street level and from there it's a short walk into the city.

If in doubt, your wife could arrange to meet her friend in the mall as the street from the port basically heads straight to the mall.

Just be aware, that on one occasion we had to dock on the opposite side of the harbour at an industrial port as there was already a ship at the cruise terminal. Not sure how this came about as we were scheduled to dock at the cruise terminal.

There were shuttles into the city from the industrial terminal as it was a long way out :eek:

Out of 4 visits on a variety of ships this has only happened once so I doubt that it will happen to you.

Thank you, strange that I asked people who live or have lived there and they had no idea.

Sounds like there will be no problem and I can send them off doing woman things and just have a sticky around the city :D:cool:

Thank you, strange that I asked people who live or have lived there and they had no idea.

Sounds like there will be no problem and I can send them off doing woman things and just have a sticky around the city :D:cool:

Going to checkout the pub for a lunch time special eh:p

If they're not interested in ships they genuinely may not know.

BTW I got it slightly wrong - it's the Convention Centre that it's close to. :o

If you're there on a Saturday there is a reasonable market at Parap, just a bit north of the CBD. I've been tapping into my local source there in preparation for our cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

If they're not interested in ships they genuinely may not know.

BTW I got it slightly wrong - it's the Convention Centre that it's close to. :o

If you're there on a Saturday there is a reasonable market at Parap, just a bit north of the CBD. I've been tapping into my local source there in preparation for our cruise.

Not a Saturday thank goodness, she has enough markets lined up already.

You might be interested in going to Crocasaurus Cove which is about a block away from the Mall. A couple of visits ago, we stumbled across it so wandered in, I think it was about $25 each. There are lots of crocodiles including some very large ones. We watched a couple getting lowered into the cage of death and the very large croc who was just floating more or less inert on the surface, showed no interest in the couple whatsoever. Then the keeper tapped him on the tail and in a slit second he had spun 180 degrees with jaws gaping. It was so sudden we nearly had heart attacks :eek: But it sure proved how quickly crocs can move. Scary stuff.

There is also a large aquarium with some interesting specimens.

This is just a suggestion as the city centre is quite small so if you don't have anything else planned it's worth a look and being in the city centre itself makes it easy to get to.

You might be interested in going to Crocasaurus Cove which is about a block away from the Mall. A couple of visits ago, we stumbled across it so wandered in, I think it was about $25 each. There are lots of crocodiles including some very large ones. We watched a couple getting lowered into the cage of death and the very large croc who was just floating more or less inert on the surface, showed no interest in the couple whatsoever. Then the keeper tapped him on the tail and in a slit second he had spun 180 degrees with jaws gaping. It was so sudden we nearly had heart attacks :eek: But it sure proved how quickly crocs can move. Scary stuff.

There is also a large aquarium with some interesting specimens.

This is just a suggestion as the city centre is quite small so if you don't have anything else planned it's worth a look and being in the city centre itself makes it easy to get to.

Thanks.

I am usually not the planner, but I am putting together a list for each Port. Bet DW end up wishing she'd done it herself.