Independence of the Seas 2015

We are planning our second cruise for Sept 27 2015 for Eastern Caribbean . My husband wants late dining time of 930pm - my questions are :

Is the dining room busy at this time ? Does it interfere with show times? We have another couple going and have connected our registration number - do they have 4 top tables at dinner? Any suggestions - is the speciality dinner that are cost worth going to ? Or is main dining food adequate?

Any suggestions would be great - we only cruised once 10 years ago and our couple going have not cruised before.

We are planning our second cruise for Sept 27 2015 for Eastern Caribbean . My husband wants late dining time of 930pm - my questions are :

Is the dining room busy at this time ? Does it interfere with show times? We have another couple going and have connected our registration number - do they have 4 top tables at dinner? Any suggestions - is the speciality dinner that are cost worth going to ? Or is main dining food adequate?

Any suggestions would be great - we only cruised once 10 years ago and our couple going have not cruised before.

We were on Indy back in February. The shows are worked around the dining times -- for those having the Early Traditional Dining they have a show scheduled after that dinner; for those having the late dining time, a show is scheduled prior to your dinner seating. I don't believe the dining time for the late seating was as late as 9:30pm. We had the Early seating which was at 6pm, and I believe the late seating was scheduled for 8:30PM.

There definitely were tables of 4 set up in the MDR. We enjoyed every meal we had in the MDR. There were plenty of choices for us. I don't think that anyone of our tablemates (we sat at a table for 10) would say they did not enjoy the food in the MDR. Our wait staff by the 3rd night knew all of the things the diners at our table liked, and even if it wasn't on the menu, brought it out.

Poster has asked same question on ask a cruise question board. I responded there and suggested asking here for more opinions. They are planning on doing MTD with a 9:30 reservation.

Other posters, myself included, said that was late for the Independence. Honestly feel they would be closing up the dining room and staff would be prepping for the following day. Do not feel the dining room would be busy.

I would be concerned about the quality of the food that late. Just off the Independence two weeks ago. MDR food overall was good but some dishes were dried out as if they had been cooked for a while. Had 8:30 seating so not sure how 9:30 would be.

Yes, tables for four are available.

Shows are geared to traditional seating. Some nights there was one show at 7:00. Also some late night shows/entertainment was at 10:00 or 10:30 so dinner at 9:30 would be pushing it, especially considering getting from DR to location.

Only did Giovanni's as a specialty restaurant and it was excellent.

Hopefully others will give their opinion as I am repeating what I previously posted.

Can anyone tell me what the themes were on Indy. I was on navigator last year and they had a white night. I would have brought white if I had known but a lot of people did. :rolleyes: so any info would be great

There was a white night, but if I remember correctly it was rolled into the 70's night....not much of a deal made of it. Some people were dressed for it, most were not.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me if independence of the sea has the soda machines like oasis or if their drink package consists of going to the bar for sodas

No Freestyle machines on Indy. You would have to go to a bar or restaurant to get soda.

I had been reading other post where people were bringing a pack of cokes or a case of water on board and some , not sure if its true but 2 bottles of wine carry on. No real straight answer if you can or how you do it. If its carry on then I have no problem bringing some cokes. But if they take them at security then I really don't want to blow the money.Just adding to this post.

I had been reading other post where people were bringing a pack of cokes or a case of water on board and some , not sure if its true but 2 bottles of wine carry on. No real straight answer if you can or how you do it. If its carry on then I have no problem bringing some cokes. But if they take them at security then I really don't want to blow the money.Just adding to this post.

Officially you are only allowed to bring on at port of embarkation 2 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin. Royal does not usually enforce bringing on reasonable amounts of soda or water except perhaps for some cruises at spring break.

That helps clear it up for me . we are going in dec. 5 ,2015 for 5 nights and I REALLY love my cokes.

The soda package might be more convenient at $6.50 per day, plus 18%. Unlimited Coke.

Edited by clarea

I know this may have been mentioned somewhere on the INDEPENDENCE ship forum, IF you want a midnight snack such as a BLT, OR MAYBE A SLICE OF PIE, do you get charged for it and gratuities or what . Carnival I prepaid for gratuities and it was all with the payment. What are your experiences because I hate to see charges to my room just for a midnight snack and possible tea or coke.Any help?

Edited by laniakersey

On all RC ships there is a charge for room service after midnight. I believe it is from midnight to around 5:30. It is around $5. This is a delivery charge - not a charge for the food itself. You could order at 11:55 for example and not pay the delivery charge.

Gratuity is not included for room service (any time). It is customary to tip the delivery person $2 or more depending on the size of the order. You would pay for soda (Coke etc.) but not any of the included drinks such as tea, coffee, etc.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles