The Coffee Line Just Got Alot Longer!

MTJSR

The IC on Sun Princess was very disorganised and coffee production was extremely slow.

On the ships where I have noticed, the bartenders making

coffees have always seemed to be working as fast as possible.

But, the machine only squeezes out the drink so fast.

I wonder what is wrong with Sun?

I'm a brewed coffee person. Nothing fancy. I make my own at home. Isn't coffee that comes from syrup similar to vending machine coffee? Or does Princess perfect it? Just curious. If it's good, I will get it delivered to my cabin before I venture out so I don't get grumpy. Lol.

I'm a brewed coffee person. Nothing fancy. I make my own at home. Isn't coffee that comes from syrup similar to vending machine coffee? Or does Princess perfect it? Just curious. If it's good, I will get it delivered to my cabin before I venture out so I don't get grumpy. Lol.

It is not perfected. We tolerate it.

I take along little packets of Via instant coffee and doctor the room service coffee to keep me until I can get to the IC and a proper latte.

• 2 months later...
Just for fun....what I find interesting is Hospitals, Airlines, Jails and bad restaurants serve real brewed coffee. So how can Princess in good conscience, serve that vile bitter brown water?

If you think the coffee is bad on Princess then try reading the ingredients on the carton of the Princess so-called orange juice concentrate. Or lemonade. Not much in the way of what you would like to find in something you're drinking. Little resemblance to proper ingredients. No doubt its cheap though.

I only did so as I'm diabetic and its good to know how much sugar etc is in what I drink.

Now I'll never drink it again, regardless of sugar content.

To get back to coffee, last year on CB I had numerous back to back cruises and ended up with 17 unused coffee cards as just one of the daytime crew at IC made life difficult - a fairly new employee, a Ukrainian woman - insisting on 2 punches for anything but the weakest latte - and changing the rules daily for where the line for just coffee was - she seemed to find it amusing to annoy passengers, so I tended to go when just the Filipino barristas were there, they were so nice and helpful but I still didn't use all my cards up. Thanks goodness for Ebay.

Yes they need several more espresso machine stations around the ship. that brown liquid in the buffet is awful.

On Carnival they actually have decent coffee machines self serve in the buffet. That isn't enough to make me want to go on there in preference to Princess though.

This is how it was on the Golden on our June 1st sailing and it made things faster and more efficient than I have ever seen at the IC. Those wanting only pastries in one line, those wanting coffee (with or without pastry) to the right. It allowed all coffee orders to be taken while the baristas worked from printed tickets. Wait times were very short, even in the morning and the system appeared to work well.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in August, and the lines at the IC were a disaster. I wish they did it the way you describe on the Golden. They had one line for espresso, brewed coffee, and food. There were mornings when the line stretched all the way to Vines. It was annoying when somebody would take their time looking at the pastries, and a gap would open in the line. People started lining up in the gap as if it were two lines.

The really frustrating part was that I had to wait in line behind all of those espresso drinkers when all I wanted was brewed coffee which was just sitting there in a carafe.

This whole IC thing is so unnecessary. Starbucks figured this out long ago. Just write down people's orders for espresso drinks with their name on a slip of paper, have them stand to the side, and call out their name when it is ready. They also need to move the brewed coffee to the lobby bar (at least in the mornings) which is right next to the IC.

Some other people on this thread said that on some ships brewed coffee was available at other bars. I never heard this on our ship. If it was there, I sure wished I knew about it.

I did the BVE yesterday on the Golden Princess in San Francisco and found a line change in the International Cafe. Everyone wishing coffee or pastries or both, has to climb in line by the panini press, on the far right of the Cafe. No more going straight to the coffee counter and they were sending line cutters to the end of the line.

So I'm interested in peoples thoughts on this being quicker, better or now harder to navigate the IC?

We just did the Golden to Tracy Arm Fjord - Aug 20 - 30th. Every morning I had my special coffee and pastries. I did not see an issue with the line and actually the person @ the register was putting in the orders for drinks which made it run much more smoothly IMHO. I like it. I was surprised though by how many people ignored the Purell hand sanitizer!

:eek:

Edited by greenie082756

IMO! Princess is doing this to collect data to see how much "Brewed Coffee" is given out for those with Coffee Cards or purchased singly. As you see in the current Princess Captain Circle Magazine, they are starting up the "New Grounds Crafted Coffee" on board. I see a Coffee Card price increase coming for "Caffe Boasi" beans from Genoa, Italy. It will increase the bottom line. I could be wrong though....

The really frustrating part was that I had to wait in line behind all of those espresso drinkers when all I wanted was brewed coffee which was just sitting there in a carafe.

This whole IC thing is so unnecessary. Starbucks figured this out long ago. Just write down people's orders for espresso drinks with their name on a slip of paper, have them stand to the side, and call out their name when it is ready.

On the Regal they did it like Starbucks & it worked well. One line in the middle to place orders & to get brewed coffee (they poured brewed coffee from carafes into an insulted jug to expedite the process), a line to the right for food & to the left a pickup counter for specialty coffee drinks.

On our cruise this past January on the Grand, my DH had the coffee card. He used about 1/2 the punches on specialty coffee's and the rest of the time just plain black coffee. My DH is used to getting up at 0'dark 30. I am not. He drinks lots of coffee. He made good friends with the coffee staff. Often times we would walk buy and one of them would just see him and offer to top him off. When I saw coffee service, it was always on the left side. Usually no wait more than one or two persons. Pastries, salads, and sandwiches were on the right side. Different servers. Never a problem. All servers on either side very friendly and accommodating.

Looking forward to using my new G Force dual voltage Hot Pot Kettle on our next Star Princess cruise. It weighs just a pound and boils a max of .5L of water. A little instant coffee in the A.M. should at least get me over the hump until I can get to the buffet for a late breakfast.

Looking forward to using my new G Force dual voltage Hot Pot Kettle on our next Star Princess cruise. It weighs just a pound and boils a max of .5L of water. A little instant coffee in the A.M. should at least get me over the hump until I can get to the buffet for a late breakfast.

I think those are forbidden.

That appears to use 550-650 watts, im not sure what the cabin outlets are rated. Someone here will know!

I suspect that could warrant a trip to he naughty room.

On our cruise this past January on the Grand, my DH had the coffee card. He used about 1/2 the punches on specialty coffee's and the rest of the time just plain black coffee. My DH is used to getting up at 0'dark 30. I am not. He drinks lots of coffee. He made good friends with the coffee staff. Often times we would walk buy and one of them would just see him and offer to top him off. When I saw coffee service, it was always on the left side. Usually no wait more than one or two persons. Pastries, salads, and sandwiches were on the right side. Different servers. Never a problem. All servers on either side very friendly and accommodating.

DW has always found the same, by day 2 or 3 they start making it as soon as they see her.