Question on "social" media

isladonna

From Carnival website:

Social ($5 USD per day) – best value, great for staying connected to your favorite social networks. Does not include access to the whole internet

Make sure you know how to use airplane mode – it’s important to turn that on to avoid roaming fees

Turn off background App. data services and updates

With this, I can use Facebook and Facebook Messenger, post photos.

So my question is..my phone will be on airplane mode, does it stay on airplane mode when using these apps?

And it says turn off background app/data services/updates.

So you keep all this stuff off but you can still post and get on Facebook and guarantee no charges from your cell phone server?

Sorry, I'm dumb lol...or confused or both.

Maybe they should also remind people not to post on FB that you are on a cruise! Nothing like advertising the house is empty for a week. Someone might get home to find that their house has been broken into because someone on FB saw they were out of town! :eek:

Hi Isladonna :)

My wife & I recently disembarked from a 14-day voyage aboard the Breeze.

(Note): Download the Carnival Hub app prior to your voyage.

Here is the exact way to connect.

1) Cellphone (WiFi mode on) with (airplane mode on).

2) Open your WiFi settings & connect to the network named Carnival WiFi.

3) Open your web browser & type in LOGIN.COM

4) You will then see a screen titled;

Satellite Internet - Pick A Plan.

5) Follow the prompts to select & purchase your plan. Click the 'buy' button next to the plan you want, then on the next screen enter your (sail & sign number) on your key card, (plus your birthday).

6) If you want to switch devices go to LOGOUT.COM on the 1st device & then LOGIN.COM on the device you wish to switch to.

You will also be given these instructions onboard the ship, simply go to guest services and ask. I didn't save my copy, or I would have scanned it for you & placed it into this post.

Since many cell phones vary when airplane mode is activated, It's also wise just to check your settings to make sure your data roaming / international data, is off or unchecked.

I hope this info helps you,

Have a wonderful day!

:)

Maybe they should also remind people not to post on FB that you are on a cruise! Nothing like advertising the house is empty for a week. Someone might get home to find that their house has been broken into because someone on FB saw they were out of town! :eek:

A lot of people keep their FB private.

So the only people who could get information to break in probably knew I was on vacation anyway, because the people on my FB are my friends.

Edited by skittl1321

I plan on using Messenger to keep in touch with our house sitter, in case something happens or whatever, ya know. ;) Not that I'm not going to post pictures and such to make everyone jealous :D

What a world we live in. We used to vacation to get away from everything, now people feel the need to be connected 24/7.

I am glad they offer an affordable option for those interested, but my favorite thing to do is turn my phone off and lock it in the safe. That is when my vacation starts. lol. :D

I would do that, but, my music is on it. :D

Just a little secret ***shhhhh****

I have found that several Google applications (Gmail the most important) work great on both Airplane and Cruise WiFi without purchasing a plan. I am not sure if it still works now with the new internet system they have, but worth checking if that is all you need.

This article is about airline WiFi, but seems to apply to cruise ship WiFi as well...

http://maphappy.org/2014/10/what-you-can-access-without-paying-for-in-flight-wi-fi/

That's why we have an alarm system, 5 dogs, 2 vicious cats and a house sitter :D

Really glad to hear about this package! Was just planning to have to use in-port wifi to do check-ups back home. and the Facebook messenger could actually double as a way to stay in communication onboard with our social savy teens.

And I most certainly wouldn't use it to post and neener-neener pictures to all my non-cruising friends. Or would I? LOL! :p

I've never understood this. The only people that will see your FB posts are your family and friends. Why would they rob you? If they would, you need better family and friends. And if you have any other people "friended" on FB that aren't your friends or family, well, then you have other issues.

To the OP: thanks for posting this, as it's something I have been researching as well for my upcoming cruise.

I've never understood this. The only people that will see your FB posts are your family and friends. Why would they rob you? If they would, you need better family and friends. And if you have any other people "friended" on FB that aren't your friends or family, well, then you have other issues.

To the OP: thanks for posting this, as it's something I have been researching as well for my upcoming cruise.

You are welcome :)