Royal Babies and Tots Program Questions

We are taking our 2 year old on the Grandeur of the Seas in August, and are interested in the Royal Babies and Tots program. This will be her first cruise (but not mine), so I do not have any experience cruising with a toddler.

Can any parents who have used this program tell me if I need to pre-register dates/times before we cruise? Or can I sign her up the first day? Or can I just play it by ear and "walk-in" if I feel comfortable leaving her for a few hours?

Any other information about this program is appreciated. :)

We are taking our 2 year old on the Grandeur of the Seas in August, and are interested in the Royal Babies and Tots program. This will be her first cruise (but not mine), so I do not have any experience cruising with a toddler.

Can any parents who have used this program tell me if I need to pre-register dates/times before we cruise? Or can I sign her up the first day? Or can I just play it by ear and "walk-in" if I feel comfortable leaving her for a few hours?

I hope I can help a little. It has been 3 1/2 years since we used that program. My grandson was 18mo back then. We signed up for the program shortly after boarding and he was given an ankle bracelet. He doesnt like things on his wrist so the ankle worked better. They had a nice play area for the toddlers and a toy exchange program. I am not sure they still do the toy exchange but we could choose a toy he liked and take it back to the cabin for a spell and return it later for another. He was never left alone as they didnt have that option during the day. They did have playtimes where we could go and play with him and meet other toddlers. It was kinda like a playdate. These times were mostly in the morning. Aftrenoons we could take him to the play room but was never an option to leave him. I think the leaving them starts at age 5. However there was babysiting for evenings and that did require a fee and reserving times once you boarded the ship and registered. We had plenty of family so babysitting was rotated through whomever went to bed first. It was usually me and pop-pop. ;)

A quick tip I hope is useful...we took an umbrella stroller with us. It proved to be a life saver. We even took it to dinner and used it as a semi high chair. When he got cranky we put it in lay down position rocked it back and forth and off to sleep he went. WE ALL ENJOYED dinner every night :D It was easier to move about the ship and excursions off ship too. We picked up an inexpensive one and it proved to be priceless :):)

I hope I can help a little. It has been 3 1/2 years since we used that program. My grandson was 18mo back then. We signed up for the program shortly after boarding and he was given an ankle bracelet. He doesnt like things on his wrist so the ankle worked better. They had a nice play area for the toddlers and a toy exchange program. I am not sure they still do the toy exchange but we could choose a toy he liked and take it back to the cabin for a spell and return it later for another. He was never left alone as they didnt have that option during the day. They did have playtimes where we could go and play with him and meet other toddlers. It was kinda like a playdate. These times were mostly in the morning. Aftrenoons we could take him to the play room but was never an option to leave him. I think the leaving them starts at age 5. However there was babysiting for evenings and that did require a fee and reserving times once you boarded the ship and registered. We had plenty of family so babysitting was rotated through whomever went to bed first. It was usually me and pop-pop. ;)

Thanks for your reply! When looking on the RCL website, they don't have much information about this program, but it does mention an $8/hr. fee in the evenings, which made me think you could leave your toddler there for a few hours (I don't remember the exact verbage used...)

Did you pay the $8 fee for anything? Maybe it has changed since you last sailed with your grandson. :)

Thanks for your reply! When looking on the RCL website, they don't have much information about this program, but it does mention an $8/hr. fee in the evenings, which made me think you could leave your toddler there for a few hours (I don't remember the exact verbage used...)

Did you pay the $8 fee for anything? Maybe it has changed since you last sailed with your grandson. :)

It sounds like you're talking about the Royal Baby and Tots Nursery and the other poster is referring to the Royal Tots Program .

Yes it is very confusing since the names are almost identical.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/12030523_Babies_and_Tots_nursery.pdf

Edited by dcgrumpy

The 8.00 /hr fee in the evenings is for babysitting. We set aside money to do it as his mother wanted to dance and see shows in the evenings. We never used the sitting service as I mentioned because pop-pop and I were tired and ready for bed after the evening show. On the rare occasions we wanted to do something late evening, another family member was calling it an early night and took the baby to their cabin and his mom picked him up on her way to bed.

The 8.00 /hr fee in the evenings is for babysitting. We set aside money to do it as his mother wanted to dance and see shows in the evenings. We never used the sitting service as I mentioned because pop-pop and I were tired and ready for bed after the evening show. On the rare occasions we wanted to do something late evening, another family member was calling it an early night and took the baby to their cabin and his mom picked him up on her way to bed.

The Royal Babies and Tots Nursery is also open during the day.

Thanks for clarifying! I've been searching other posts and now understand the difference between the nursery and program. Both sound nice, and thankfully the ship we are going on also has a nursery!

It sounds like you're talking about the Royal Baby and Tots Nursery and the other poster is referring to the Royal Tots Program .

Yes it is very confusing since the names are almost identical.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/12030523_Babies_and_Tots_nursery.pdf

Its all the same program. (ages 0-3)....just broken down into sections. The nursery is for anytime use now..We only had the option of evening useage. That is nice to have. It wouldn't work for us during the day because he was always with us. I could see where it would however be useful for others :D

Babysitting is now $19/hour.

On the LOS page it says $6/hour during the day and $8/hour at night. I am really looking forward to some kid-free time on my August cruise :)

Yes, those are the rates for the Nursery. The babysitting rates are much higher for in cabin babysitting. They send two people to babysit your child in your own cabin. Babysitters are not always available either, so if anyone wants to use one they should ask at guest services as soon as they board.

Yes, those are the rates for the Nursery. The babysitting rates are much higher for in cabin babysitting. They send two people to babysit your child in your own cabin. Babysitters are not always available either, so if anyone wants to use one they should ask at guest services as soon as they board.

Yeah, I get that babysitting privately is the expensive version but a previous poster mentioned the $8/hr being for evening babysitting then another person said that babysitting was $19/hr so I wanted to make sure that people knew that the evening nursery rate wasn't $19/hour.

Edited by Mistletoe76
wrong rate listed

We (the family) cruised (May 2014) with our 17 month old grandson on Radiance. What an amazing trip we had making use of the nursery (during evenings)...they (all certified childcare givers not just regular ship employees) were wonderful with him and he enjoyed it. You will need to sign up once you board (they will also give you a bag of toys to keep in your cabin). The fee for the nursery was $6.00 per hour and $8.00 per hour after 6:00pm. They don't put wristbands or anklebands on children that young but they do give you a phone to use when he's in their care. We also took him (stayed there with him during this play time) there several afternoons when they had the room set up for open play...lot's of toys..This worked out so well...and it will for you too. Enjoy !! Any specific questions you have I'll be happy to answer.

BTW: Getting ready to take another grandson(19 mos. old) on for his first cruise on Radiance this September.

We've taken our son (currently almost 3) on 3 RCCL cruises and used the Royal Babies and Tots nursery each time. We love it! Even though we won't have to pay for Aquanauts when he turns three, I think we'll still miss the personal nature of the nursery.

As far as signing up, I think that varies based on the number of babies/toddlers on your sailing, but it general you're given a number of hours you can use on day one to make reservations throughout the week. On the Allure we had 18 hours, on the Legend and Liberty it was 20 hours. On embarkation day, have a list of times you know you'll want (dinner reservations, particular nights for shows, etc). You can reserve for your entire cruise up to the amount of hours allowed.

On day 3, they open up reservations for the rest of the cruise, so go to the nursery first thing when they open on day three with a list of the other times you'll want.

Depending on how many young kids are on your sailing, and how many parents choose to utilize the nursery, you may have no trouble getting in whenever you want, or you may find many times fully booked. Best to be prepared and reserve early.

As far as the program, take advantage of open play and the bag of toys you can check out.

Just went on oasis with our 2 yo. You schedule hours the first day of the cruise. Because there weren't that many toddlers on board we got 20 hours that we could schedule as we liked. But we could only schedule hours for 1 of thw formal nights. They then said we could come back on day 4 and if there were more open hours we could schedule more. We also did walk in babysitting in thw morning to go to the gym. As long as they didnt have 8 kids already we couldnuse the nursery. Fyi after day 4 they didnt have any openings for night 6 or 7. The nights fill up fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We will be sailing on Serenade with an almost-3-year old in December. Can anyone speak to the family programs on board for the Royal Tots. I can't find any updated info on RCCL's site since they stopped the partnership with Fisher-Price.

We are planning to have her in the nursery one (maybe two) evenings and for a few hours during one or two of our days. Good to hear the nursery is so great - we've only had her in the Disney one prior.

That's my Enchantment review up there :)

YAY!

We've used the Nursery/Royal Babies & Tots multiple times with our son.

Enchantment

Brilliance

and

Liberty.

Feel free to check out my other extensive review, on Brilliance, from my signature. We've always had great luck.

$19/hour is for IN ROOM babysitting.

$6/$8 is for use of the Nursery. Many people confuse it.

Thanks for this thread! I have used the program before but it was on a two night sailing and there were like no other children on the boat-so each time we dropped her off there were no other kids there. I am sure to head to the booking place as soon as we get on!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the Adventure of the Seas has a nursery? I am finding conflicting information online, even on the RC website. I also noticed that they are adding additional enhancements to the Adventure in 2016, so I am thinking maybe this is when they will add the nursery if it hasn't been added already. We are looking to book a trip for 2017 (when the bun in the oven will be almost a year old) and are keen to plan for a ship with a nursery, if possible. :)

Does anyone know if the Adventure of the Seas has a nursery? I am finding conflicting information online, even on the RC website. I also noticed that they are adding additional enhancements to the Adventure in 2016, so I am thinking maybe this is when they will add the nursery if it hasn't been added already. We are looking to book a trip for 2017 (when the bun in the oven will be almost a year old) and are keen to plan for a ship with a nursery, if possible. :)

No nursery on the Adventure as of now. It does have the royal babies and tots program but I do not see anywhere that it has the royal babies and tots nursery. The two programs have very similar names that causes confusion.

Where are you seeing nursery on the Adventure?

No nursery on the Adventure as of now. It does have the royal babies and tots program but I do not see anywhere that it has the royal babies and tots nursery. The two programs have very similar names that causes confusion.

Where are you seeing nursery on the Adventure?

It was listed as one of the enhancements being added in 2014, but they appear to have changed their minds. This information was further picked up by many cruise sites, which list the nursery as part of the 2014 Adventure revitalization (such as ******************, etc.). Strangely, on RC's Ship Revitalization list, they have Adventure being listed as slated for dry dock in 2016, which doesn't make much sense given that they just updated the ship 2 years prior (the typical schedule is every 5 years). This had given me tiny hope that they might be planning to add the nursery in during the 2016 dry dock (especially since they list the nursery as "coming soon fleetwide", indicating that this is something that they have every intention of bringing to every ship) but the 2016 - 2017 deck plans that they have online do not show a nursery, so there isn't much to go on, aside from hope. The Revitalization list unfortunately doesn't give much definitive information about each ship (and hasn't been updated at all this year), though it lists the nursery as among the enhancements they are adding to their ships, so really, who knows? Among the ships recently updated, the only ships that did not add a nursery are Majesty, Explorer, Voyager and Adventure. Jewel is slated for revitalization in 2016 and has a similar itinerary to the one that I am looking at for Adventure, so I am hoping that they release information soon about what enhancements 2016 has in store for these ships so that we can decide between the two.