As you wish dining questions

retiredkid

We have as you wish dining for 19 days. Do I have to reserve every day? May I request a table for 2? Am I able to request the same table number every day?

I did check the HAL for Dummies thread, but could not find it. TIA

Based on our experience with "As You Wish" dining last summer on the Veendam:

1. Unless you want to wait in line each evening for a table, you will have to reserve every day. We could not reserve for more than one day in advance.

2. Yes, you may request a table for 2. We had no problem reserving one, but be aware it will be very close to another table for 2, so you won't have a whole lot of "privacy".

3. We never tried to reserve the same table each evening, so I don't know if you can do this.

Sometimes you can reserve three days in a row; you can request a table for 2;

some ships do have tables for 2 by the windows; and you can request the same table every night although they will tell you it is a request and not guaranteed. All of the above work best if you go for an early time. Our experience on longer cruises, is if you get to know the Manager at the Door, he will always give you the same table that you want.

Sometimes you can reserve three days in a row; you can request a table for 2;

some ships do have tables for 2 by the windows; and you can request the same table every night although they will tell you it is a request and not guaranteed. All of the above work best if you go for an early time. Our experience on longer cruises, is if you get to know the Manager at the Door, he will always give you the same table that you want.

Thanks!! This is good to know. I believe the earliest ressie time is 5:15, which is our normal dining time, so that would suit us to a tee!!

You sound like you'd really prefer early fixed dining. Because we like open dining, we haven't tried getting the other for years. So I have a question for diners who schedule the more traditional fixed dining. Is it getting any easier to either book it or change to it on board?

Thanks!! This is good to know. I believe the earliest ressie time is 5:15, which is our normal dining time, so that would suit us to a tee!!

Hal is not flexible with its reservation times but if you like this time you will be fine. I pretty much never make a reservation because I like 6 or 6:30 and unless you are in a neptune or better they will not take reserves at that time. It's highly unlikely that there will be a line at 5:15 and I would think you'd be able to get a table for 2 without much trouble.

You sound like you'd really prefer early fixed dining. Because we like open dining, we haven't tried getting the other for years. So I have a question for diners who schedule the more traditional fixed dining. Is it getting any easier to either book it or change to it on board?

The op may not like or want traditional. I used to take it all the time but I got tired of people showing up late, talking about sports non stop or making out at the table (that was on princess). This way if people aren't to my liking I probably won't see them again. I also like to go to specialty restaurants and I don't want to take a traditional spot if I'm not going to be there half the time. People may choose open for other reasons.

We have been on many different HAL ships since "as you wish" began, so we have a range of experiences to share. The only nights that had a long wait were Formal nights; I suggest a reservation for those evenings. We usually ate early and had no line other than perhaps three of four couples by @6:15. Often we asked for a table for two, such as when we knew we would only eat two courses, or if we were late for an activity. One cruise my husband's tremors had grown severe and he preferred that we always ate by ourselves; the Maitre D had a table for 2 waiting for us each evening!

We have been on many different HAL ships since "as you wish" began, so we have a range of experiences to share. The only nights that had a long wait were Formal nights; I suggest a reservation for those evenings. We usually ate early and had no line other than perhaps three of four couples by @6:15. Often we asked for a table for two, such as when we knew we would only eat two courses, or if we were late for an activity. One cruise my husband's tremors had grown severe and he preferred that we always ate by ourselves; the Maitre D had a table for 2 waiting for us each evening!

Totally agree! Formal nights always seem to be the busiest. So often you hear that no one wants to do formal anymore. That hasn't been my experience or yours from the sound of it.

I chose as you wish, then I looked at my boarding pass and it has early table of A on request. What is table A on request?

That's odd. Can't say that I've heard that before. I'd give hal a call or if you used a ta get them to call.

You unit the nail on the head, cruz chic. We had such a bad experience with tablemates that we prefer to dine alone and then socialize with those that we choose to have fun with.

Sounds like a great plan! I met some lovely ladies on my first week on the Veendam in May. I ate with them every night at their invitation, it's great to be able to decide instead of having the decision made. I know a lot of people enjoy traditional and that's great. I used to love it too but now I only go with open dining. Five years ago I would have said no way would I do open.

Just off Eurodam Baltic cruise yesterday.

We had as you wish dining and were allowed to book up to three days in advance. We normally booked a table for 2 only and were accommodated. Generally though if you are booking for next day or closer you will only be offered fairly early 0615 ish or late after 0815, could not get anything 0700/0730. So we booked what they had and turned up at about 0715 our favoured time and they accommodated us fairly well.

If you want your time you have to remember to ring each day three days in advance to get what you want, not easy.

thanks for sharing your experience, Thameside. Sounds like we are gonna be in pretty good shape since we prefer the earliest possible time. We have our dinner around 5:00 at home, so its all good. Even if we can't get a reservation, sounds like there won't be a lineup when they open at 5:15

thanks for sharing your experience, Thameside. Sounds like we are gonna be in pretty good shape since we prefer the earliest possible time. We have our dinner around 5:00 at home, so its all good. Even if we can't get a reservation, sounds like there won't be a lineup when they open at 5:15

On our last cruise on Maasdam there was a short line right at opening time. 10 minutes later no line.

Have done table for 2 for past several cruises. We have always been able to make reseverations for 3 days. Each day you will recieve conformation card. If we enjoyed waiter we would request a table at Waiter X's station. Did not always get same table but was is same area. We usually give a little extra at end of cruise so it's nice to have the the people that made your meal special get a little extra. Also my mother likes hot tea in pot and from 2nd day on it was always ready for her. oOf course we leave auto fee on. Happy sailing! :

Have done table for 2 for past several cruises. We have always been able to make reseverations for 3 days. Each day you will recieve conformation card. If we enjoyed waiter we would request a table at Waiter X's station. Did not always get same table but was is same area. We usually give a little extra at end of cruise so it's nice to have the the people that made your meal special get a little extra. Also my mother likes hot tea in pot and from 2nd day on it was always ready for her. oOf course we leave auto fee on. Happy sailing! :

Absolutely, Emerald. We would do *exactly* the same as you.

We have always gotten Open Dining, table for 2. On most cruises we find a table/servers we like on the 2nd or 3rd night, and then ask to be seated in their area every night. (and yes, usually reserving 3 nights ahead).

On our last cruise (Statendam) we got friendly with one of the Assistant Dining Managers and he asked us if we were happy with our table and servers on the 2nd night, and if so, would we like to have that as "our table and time" for the rest of the cruise. We said yes!! It worked out great. It worked because the time we wanted (7:00) was strangely an UNpopular dining time for that cruise (!) and there was no problem having that table every night at 7pm. Most people wanted to dine early on that cruise. He even told us if we wanted to come later, the table would be waiting for us. Now that's service! :)

We are new to HAL, but have chosen other cruise line's form of as you wish dining. So we are familiar with the concept. Didn't want to highjack another thread, so my question is: If we chose to not make reservations & there is a line, do they hand out beepers like they do on the other cruise lines? This worked out very well for us on CCL. There was usually very little line, except on Formal nights, but when there was a line, it was nice to be able to roam around or have a cocktail while we waited for the beeper to go off. Thanks in advance. Sorry, meant for this to be my own thread- couldn't figure out how to delete it.

Edited by Banditswife

We are new to HAL, but have chosen other cruise line's form of as you wish dining. So we are familiar with the concept. Didn't want to highjack another thread, so my question is: If we chose to not make reservations & there is a line, do they hand out beepers like they do on the other cruise lines? This worked out very well for us on CCL. There was usually very little line, except on Formal nights, but when there was a line, it was nice to be able to roam around or have a cocktail while we waited for the beeper to go off. Thanks in advance. Sorry, meant for this to be my own thread- couldn't figure out how to delete it.

Yes they have beepers :)

Do you call to make a reservation or do it in person?

You can do either, call or in person.