HAL excursion plane crashes in Alaska

cr8tiv1

KIRO7 news just tweeted that none of the deceased were WA residents...

I have not seen anything about the people involved either , mostly it just says they will first notify families ( as it should be) then release the names.

Thanks for the information , my friend is from southern California , and as I understood , several others were also from our area here around Long Beach , CA. But some were out of state , so still waiting to hear.

Whoever it was , it is so tragic and sad , we never know what tomorrow brings.

Cori

Side note - does anyone know if these planes carry cockpit voice recorders?

I searched online & found the NTSB report summary for the 2010 Otter crash that killed former Senator Ted Stevens. Neither a voice recorder (CVR) nor a data recorder (FDR) were required & in that crash neither were installed on that turbo powered Otter.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/documents/aleknagik_ak-Aleknagik_IIC_Overview.pdf

Whatever the cause of the Ketchikan crash it's a tragedy & eventually a probable cause will be determined by the NTSB. There's always a chain of events resulting in an incident & if any link is broken then the incident is avoided. Causes are mechanical (including design failures), weather or pilot but without a CVR & FDR it will take a long time to determine a probable cause.

Here on Maui there was a flight-seeing helicopter crash into a cliff obscured by clouds without any mechanical failures. Having a career flying helicopters (not sightseeing) two close friends died as a result of a maintenance issue...they had the faulty part & I did not.

It's much too early to speculate about the cause & for now the safety of the recovery teams is the top priority as they risk their lives to recover the victims & to preserve the crash site for the NTSB to determine the probable cause to avoid a future tragedy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I searched online & found the NTSB report summary for the 2010 Otter crash that killed former Senator Ted Stevens. Neither a voice recorder (CVR) nor a data recorder (FDR) were required & in that crash neither were installed on that turbo powered Otter.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/documents/aleknagik_ak-Aleknagik_IIC_Overview.pdf

Whatever the cause of the Ketchikan crash it's a tragedy & eventually a probable cause will be determined by the NTSB. There's always a chain of events resulting in an incident & if any link is broken then the incident is avoided. Causes are mechanical (including design failures), weather or pilot but without a CVR & FDR it will take a long time to determine a probable cause.

Here on Maui there was a flight-seeing helicopter crash into a cliff obscured by clouds without any mechanical failures. Having a career flying helicopters (not sightseeing) two close friends died as a result of a maintenance issue...they had the faulty part & I did not.

It's much too early to speculate about the cause & for now the safety of the recovery teams is the top priority as they risk their lives to recover the victims & to preserve the crash site for the NTSB to determine the probable cause to avoid a future tragedy.

I wonder if they should become mandatory sooner rather than later. just so sad for their families to never know.:(

I wonder if they should become mandatory sooner rather than later. just so sad for their families to never know.:(

The NTSB investigates & makes recommendations however the FAA only has the regulatory power to mandate changes. And in this tragedy it will most likely be neither sooner nor later but instead never.

Most safety concerns are influenced by cost...does any potential benefit justify the cost? It's not limited to aviation but manufacturing many things we use daily in our lives. I would be very surprised if this tragedy would result in mandating either a CVR or FDR to these old Otter aircraft.

Apparently MH 370 would have been located if available technology was used to track it's location. However the cost to airlines was not worth any potential benefit from such a rare event ever occurring. Obviously I'm all for safety however the cost vs. benefit is a big consideration for any business. I have not read of any country who has mandated a satellite tracking system despite the public outcry for such a tracking system.

I did a quick search & from 1950-2010 statistically 53% of all fatal aircraft accidents were due to various pilot related issues.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Edited by Astro Flyer

We have booked a helicopter tour in Juneau for August and both DH and I are seriously reconsidering. I'm not usually an alarmist but this really brought home what can happen on some of these excursions. let's all go hug a loved one.

In all likelihood, you're more likely to get killed on the drive to the cruise ship than on the helicopter trip. Personally, I'd rather go out doing something fun than worry about the chance it might kill me.

CC has an article titled "Q & A: Are Flightseeing Shore Excursions Safe?" discussing some common questions.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6423

As 'piper28' posted, statistically driving to a flight is potentially more dangerous. However each of us have our own comfort level to decide whether a flightseeing tour is something to do or not.

The names of those lost in the plane crash have been released. The information can be found on the website of the Alaska Dispatch News.

We have a friend that is on the cruise, she is not one of the victims of the crash so we have been searching for the information. We were relieved to not find her name on the list, but our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those that lost their lives, May they rest in peace.

Cori

The names of those lost in the plane crash have been released. The information can be found on the website of the Alaska Dispatch News.

We have a friend that is on the cruise, she is not one of the victims of the crash so we have been searching for the information. We were relieved to not find her name on the list, but our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those that lost their lives, May they rest in peace.

Cori

Thankfully your friend is okay & our prayers for the victims who have been recovered and for their families.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/rescue-crews-battle-terrain-weather-in-attempt-to-recover-plane-crash-victims/33801306

Thankfully your friend is okay & our prayers for the victims who have been recovered and for their families.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/rescue-crews-battle-terrain-weather-in-attempt-to-recover-plane-crash-victims/33801306

Thanks for the link, at least now I know my friends were not involved, it is just so sad for the families involved.:(

My apologies for posting the cruise passengers were from South Carolina. I got this from a news article that has since been removed. Obviously that newspaper was also misinformed.

Sadly two of the victims were from Medford, OR which is very close to where I live.

We took this same excursion a week before the incident; we booked through Princess (we were on the Grand). Sadly the pilot killed in the crash was "our" pilot. He was very friendly and professional. We had a wonderful time. Condolences to the families and friends of all the victims, as well as the other cruise passengers and the community of Ketchikan.

We took this same excursion a week before the incident; we booked through Princess (we were on the Grand). Sadly the pilot killed in the crash was "our" pilot. He was very friendly and professional. We had a wonderful time. Condolences to the families and friends of all the victims, as well as the other cruise passengers and the community of Ketchikan.

That must bring the tragedy very close to you.

I know that statistically there is more chance of a car crash on the way but it is making me rethink. On holidays we do things we wouldn't do at home.

That must bring the tragedy very close to you.

I know that statistically there is more chance of a car crash on the way but it is making me rethink. On holidays we do things we wouldn't do at home.

Yes, it does. Thank you. I hope I would still do something like it in the future, since it really was a wonderful and breathtakingly beautiful trip.

I think you are right; driving to work or around town is likely far more dangerous than getting on a small plane or helicopter. I think some of the fears about doing the latter stem from the fact that for many of us, these are not routine events.

Whatever you decide to do on your next trip, I hope you enjoy it!

Yes, it does. Thank you. I hope I would still do something like it in the future, since it really was a wonderful and breathtakingly beautiful trip.

I think you are right; driving to work or around town is likely far more dangerous than getting on a small plane or helicopter. I think some of the fears about doing the latter stem from the fact that for many of us, these are not routine events.

Whatever you decide to do on your next trip, I hope you enjoy it!

I agree, we often do what may be considered a dangerous activity and yet every day something may happen just doing rather mundane activities around the work place or home. Live your life and have no regrets.

Thanks for the link, at least now I know my friends were not involved, it is just so sad for the families involved.:(

You're welcome & that's good that your friends were not involved.

The rest of us never met the pilot & even though it's tragic that you met him, thanks for sharing your experiences...just like most pilot's he apparently was doing what he loved to do.

I found an article about the pilot: http://www.adn.com/article/20150627/pilot-southeast-alaska-plane-crash-loved-flying-was-always-cautious-brother-says

Edited by Astro Flyer

This sadly must bring it all very close to home for you.

The rest of us never met the pilot & even though it's tragic that you met him, thanks for sharing your experiences...just like most pilot's he apparently was doing what he loved to do.

I found an article about the pilot: http://www.adn.com/article/20150627/pilot-southeast-alaska-plane-crash-loved-flying-was-always-cautious-brother-says

Thanks for the article. just goes to show even with all that experience, things can still go wrong. Very tragic.:(

Thank you. And thanks for the article. So very sad.