Afraid to cruise

AZDENNY

This thread has launched itself into the twilight zone. Cruise critic posts are useful in many situations, however, amateur diagnosis and treatment recommendations for serious psychological conditions is not one of them.

OP, the best advice for you here has been to let it be, let it be. Not your problem to solve, and certainly beyond the scope of expertise of anyone here.

Now, if you want to know the best way to get from Heathrow to Southampton, there are plenty folks who will have great suggestions.

This thread has launched itself into the twilight zone. Cruise critic posts are useful in many situations, however, amateur diagnosis and treatment recommendations for serious psychological conditions is not one of them.

OP was asking a question because s/he needed advice for a co-worker. Nothing wrong with starting somewhere, and here may be that somewhere. I think if you go back and re-read this thread, you will find many of us honestly tried to help. Some of us can relate to this situation and have offered suggestions as such.

OP was asking a question because s/he needed advice for a co-worker. Nothing wrong with starting somewhere, and here may be that somewhere. I think if you go back and re-read this thread, you will find many of us honestly tried to help. Some of us can relate to this situation and have offered suggestions as such.

Exactly! I put myself out there in this thread sharing my issues in the hope that the OP can communicate to his friend that fear is not always rational but is the reality to the afflicted.

Unless you walk in that person's shoes, you cannot possibly understand the effect it has on the individual. The worst possible thing anyone can do is to dismiss their fears as being ridiculous.

All that does is make that person feel worse. :(

My decision to fly overseas was my decision alone. No one could talk me into it and fortunately, my family respected my decision.

The bottom line is this: until that fearful person is willing to face their fears head on, there will be no progress.

I'm not a licensed Psychiatrist..I'm better than that. I'm the person living that fear.

OP, the best advice for you here has been to let it be, let it be. Not your problem to solve, and certainly beyond the scope of expertise of anyone here.

Now, if you want to know the best way to get from Heathrow to Southampton, there are plenty folks who will have great suggestions.

I heartily disagree.

All of the advice given here was worth every penny the OPpaid for it.:rolleyes:

Actually that's just an assumption that he needs the advice. It could be that he overheard his co-worker talking about the wife. He hasn't come back to the thread to explain he was just an interested party or if his co-worker asked him for suggestions. Two different things.

On the internet, I am a psychiatrist. You need to know that people range from totally sane to incredibly insane.

I know someone that has fear of cruising. She has other fears also. I would diagnose her to be plain old ordinary insane.

I like going on cruises knowing that she will be one thousand miles away on land.

I have a coworker who's wife is deathly afraid of being on the water. The family all wants to go on a cruise but the wife so far refuses. Any suggestions to how they can possibly convince her to try it.

I would go without her. I hope she is not preventing others from going because of her fear.

My father had crossed the Pacific to serve in a MASH unit in Asia (I have a cigar box of items documenting his trip) and had no desire at all to go on a cruise. But he had traveled quite a bit with my mother to Europe' date=' Israel, and even to Asia (my sister too -- as I said, I stayed at home during that time).[/quote']

Flying on military planes is why my husband does not care to fly. He had to go home for a family funeral once. We had to fly because we could not take extended bereavement leave, but also could not miss the funeral.

One experience with it taking less than 4 hours instead of the usual 12 hours and he was sold. He realized it was much nicer than a plane carrying troops.

I understand it is not that easy for most people. I have different anxieties. My vacation anxieties stem from having lost jobs within weeks or months after two vacations (not because I went on vacation). Still the thought it is there and leaving for a vacation is never easy for me.

I did not notice that the OP was asking advice for a co-worker. I don't know if he/she was asked to get advice or whether they are just sticking their nose where it does not belong. If the latter is the case, leave it alone. If the former is the case, I commend you for looking to these boards for possible suggestions and to find someone who may have experienced something similar.

Our DD has anxiety re flying and being "stuck" on a boat. Our last cruise with her was in 2013 and she did fine but it is not as relaxing of a vacation lately for her as other types are. She sought out professional councelling which helped her work through her fear of flying. She did great on both our trip to and from (turbulant) Antigua in February and on our flights to and from St. Maarten in May. She was very proud of herself as were we as she wants to travel and has worked at dealing with her fear. After our May vacation I asked her if she was ready to try cruising again (she has been on at least 6 cruises and enjoyed the first 4 but struggled with the last 2). She said not yet. Her two sisters would love to go on another family cruise but a relaxing family vacation for all is the goal so for now we are letting DD conquer one fear at a time. So OP I am with the majority here and think that the lady needs to go at her own pace and only if and when she is ready and willing should this family go on a family cruise vacation. I hope that they find somewhere that they all enjoy.:)

Our DD has anxiety re flying and being "stuck" on a boat. Our last cruise with her was in 2013 and she did fine but it is not as relaxing of a vacation lately for her as other types are. She sought out professional councelling which helped her work through her fear of flying. She did great on both our trip to and from (turbulant) Antigua in February and on our flights to and from St. Maarten in May. She was very proud of herself as were we as she wants to travel and has worked at dealing with her fear. After our May vacation I asked her if she was ready to try cruising again (she has been on at least 6 cruises and enjoyed the first 4 but struggled with the last 2). She said not yet. Her two sisters would love to go on another family cruise but a relaxing family vacation for all is the goal so for now we are letting DD conquer one fear at a time. So OP I am with the majority here and think that the lady needs to go at her own pace and only if and when she is ready and willing should this family go on a family cruise vacation. I hope that they find somewhere that they all enjoy.:)

You are an awesome Mom for recognizing the need for your daughter to conquer one fear at a time.

All too often, people dismiss someone that is anxiety ridden and tell them they are being ridiculous. All that does is create more stress for that person.

Sounds like your daughter is in a good place and will hopefully will sail with you again someday.

In the meantime, enjoy your travels wherever they may be.

You are an awesome Mom for recognizing the need for your daughter to conquer one fear at a time.

All too often, people dismiss someone that is anxiety ridden and tell them they are being ridiculous. All that does is create more stress for that person.

Sounds like your daughter is in a good place and will hopefully will sail with you again someday.

In the meantime, enjoy your travels wherever they may be.

The fear of death and dying from having 3 close friends die on seperate occasions from the age of 12-16 has changed our previously carefree daughter. It has been very difficult but she is doing ok and has a good support system that she calls on when necessary. Thanks for the kind words but you just do what you have to do when it's your kids well being at stake.