Currently on the Anthem, any questions?

CCFC

I'll see if I can find the menus for you as we have used the surprisingly spacious windjammer for breakfast apart from today when we had room service.

Thank you Mike for doing that

Have a nice vacation

What's an escape room?

The idea is that you and some friends (the ones I've been to are between 3 and 5 people) get locked in a room and have 60 minutes to search for clues, solve puzzles, and find the key to get out again.

It's great fun and by the time you get out the adrenaline is really pumping! I think a group of only friends is better, but on a cruise ship where you might only be sailing with one other person I imagine you have to pair with strangers? I'm unsure how Royal have figured it out.

Here is a link to the company organising this one. The game is called 'Escape from the Future' but there's no information about it on Royal Caribbean's website.

http://www.puzzlebreak.us/current-games/

The idea is that you and some friends (the ones I've been to are between 3 and 5 people) get locked in a room and have 60 minutes to search for clues, solve puzzles, and find the key to get out again.

It's great fun and by the time you get out the adrenaline is really pumping! I think a group of only friends is better, but on a cruise ship where you might only be sailing with one other person I imagine you have to pair with strangers? I'm unsure how Royal have figured it out.

Here is a link to the company organising this one. The game is called 'Escape from the Future' but there's no information about it on Royal Caribbean's website.

http://www.puzzlebreak.us/current-games/

It is called the Puzzle Room on Anthem, it is just by the entrance to SeaPlex. You book on board (via the app). They run several sessions a day. Look out for it in the Compass.

I actually think it works better with total strangers as you never know what strengths (areas of expertise) they may have, I think we still hold the record - we got out with 17 minutes to spare!

It was fun and I would recommend it.

Hey Mike, glad you're enjoying the cruise so far.

I'm curious as to the cost of the internet package for the 14-night cruise. Did they have different packages available?

Have you or will you try any of the speciality restaurants? I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the quality of food between speciality venues and the inclusive venues, and compared to other ships (Princess you're familiar with?)

If you're on a drinks package, how do you find the Coke Freestyle machines. Are there a lot of them and are they well stocked? Are they like the UK ones or US ones in terms of selection (do they have Pibb Xtra, for example).

Have you tried the escape room? I haven't heard a great deal about it, but I love escape rooms. Can you go on your own and share the experience with others? Just wondering how it works!

What's the best place for a quiet drink with a book, a cocktail, and sea views? I normally like the high deck front observation lounges, but I don't think Anthem has one?

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip :)

Hi Duncan,

The options for the internet were one device for $15 a day which I purchased (you can use your login on another device just not at the same time), or two devices with 50% off the second device. There was also a 10% discount if you bout it on the first day so I ended up paying $189 which I consider a bargain considering the speed.

We don't have plans to use a specialty restaurant but that might change. The normal restaurants are good enough, not brilliant and lacking in presentation sometimes but quite acceptable. Personally I think Princess have the edge on presentation.

I have the select package in with the deal and the freestyle machines are few and far between. I did actually make a video with you in mind as you asked the question earlier! There are two in Sorrentos on deck four, two in the windjammer and two in the seaplex. The first time I tried to use one was on embarkation day and it was disappointingly mostly empty. The novelty of lugging around a large plastic mug seen wears off too. There are apparently 130 different flavours so I'm sure you will find something to you taste. Beware of the ice push as it sticks on all the machines and I have had to rescue a few people from an icy death.

Funnily enough we just did the puzzle room about two hours ago, escape from the future! You can do it solo with other people, I did it with my friend and six other people, great fun even though we got locked in. I would do it again without hesitation. I did ask as we left if they might change the puzzle over the course of a few cruises and the answer was yes, most likely. It's free and we'll run, half the puzzle if finding out where it is as six other people had signed up but didn't make it.

Mid deck front is the Solarium which is quiet and great views, depending on the time of day 270 (awesome) is great for looking at the wake with a drink too.

Beautiful sunshine today at sea, Cadiz tomorrow!

Thank you so much Mike.

If you order between 11 pm and 6am there is a $4.95 charge.

If you want something hot it appears to be charged for per item apart from toast. I have taken pictures of the room service menu which I can explain better when I get back.

Glad to help!

A quick question from me to you seasoned Royal Caribbean travellers, is it normal that it's hard to get snacky food after 9.30pm? The windjammer shuts at 9pm which I was quite surprised by, Johnny Rockets at 9.30 the doghouse at 9 and the 270 at 5pm

Thanks Mike for such a comprehensive answer!

Very much looking forward to trying it all in September.

The 'faff factor' of the Freestyle machines was something I had thought about... who on earth wants to carry a big, chunky, plastic cup around with them all day? I was rather hoping they'd link it to the WoWBand and have normal glassware for use with those machines. Apparently not :(

I'm so excited about the escape room. Sounds like we should have much difficultly getting a place if it's so quiet.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise :)

If you order between 11 pm and 6am there is a $4.95 charge.

If you want something hot it appears to be charged for per item apart from toast. I have taken pictures of the room service menu which I can explain better when I get back.

Glad to help!

Thanks Mike! Enjoy the rest of your cruise! Looking forward to hearing more when you're back!!

A quick question from me to you seasoned Royal Caribbean travellers, is it normal that it's hard to get snacky food after 9.30pm? The windjammer shuts at 9pm which I was quite surprised by, Johnny Rockets at 9.30 the doghouse at 9 and the 270 at 5pm

Hi Mike,

Sorrentos should also be open 24hrs. They do serve other food options as well as pizza. Also the Cafe on promenade should be open till midnight with sandwiches and coffee.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, here in the UK we are about to get a heatwave as well with temps up to 35C. :)

With the freestyle plastic cup and carrying it around all day, I find it no different than having a drink in my hand. I always have a drink in my hand when on holiday/cruising so carrying a cup around is not an issue as it is never empty.

With the freestyle plastic cup and carrying it around all day, I find it no different than having a drink in my hand. I always have a drink in my hand when on holiday/cruising so carrying a cup around is not an issue as it is never empty.

I'd not thought of trying to get beer in it, worth a shot!

Hope you are enjoying your trip. Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. We are booked for 4/2017. A ways to go, but looking for any information I can get on this ship. We are booked in a obstructive view balcony on deck 6. Do you have any knowledge about what the obstructions are? Also, I am confused about the pools. Indoor for adults only? and 2 outdoor pools or only 1?

Thanks in advance and Happy Sailing!

Just leaving Lisbon now and strangely the captain left the ship time on Spanish time so we were an hour ahead. Had quite a few runners and we were late leaving.

Catching up on previous points the windjammer does shut at 9pm, no 24 hour service.

Sorrento's only serves pizza unless there is a hidden part to it!

I can't find a children's menu for chops or wonderland, if I see someone at the entrance I will try and find out if there is another menu.

The deck six obstructions are the top of the lifeboats, if you know your cabin number I can see if I can get a picture for you.

The solarium is meant to be adult only but the rules are hardly enforced (same with the over eighteen disco "RED" last night)

The other two pools are all ages, one is fully open to the skies the other has a retracting roof which it needs in hot weather.

Just had quite a downpour and it's gone a bit chilly, a couple of bumps in the night too, let's hope the BoB is kind.

Stays cold longer as well.

Also I put a shot of Rum into the coke with lime. Very nice.

The trouble with the mug is that you can't leave it behind because of the chip, so it comes to the loo with you etc. my beer never gets the chance to go cold even in the solarium!

We asked for a table of eight which we got however, only six of us (couples) came the first two nights which dwindled to four of us for the next few nights (the other couple were on an anniversary cruise). You get a card in the room with the first sequence of restaurants, ours was Silk, American icon, Chic and the Grande.

It's not completely like traditional dining but is as near as I think they can get, at each restaurant there are two lines, one for dynamic and one for classic which is mostly empty. We just walk up the middle, into the restaurant and ask for table 130, once you have done all four it's easy and quick! Apparently we get a new menu tonight as we are into the second week.

The weather has been perfect so far, it's all quite lovely.

Thank you, I'm really looking forward to it and this should work well for our table of 9 for Classic.

On Liberty last month, Sorrentos was open till 2 am, with pizza, calzone, foccacia, and delicious desserts. Cafe Promenade was open 24/7 with offerings changing throughout the day. Hoping Anthem would be similar.

Glad you're having a good time and thanks again Mike.

The Windjammer is closed down just after nine, they even shutter it off at both ends, no 24 hour service.

Sorerrentos just has pizza and drinks, no fries, or anything else. I have pictures for when I get home.