Lobster on Maasdam in New England

Adoremus

[B]I Like Side Street Café and wish I'd thought to have Lobster Cobb salad. That must have been soooo good. Think I'll make one at home tomorrow with my left over lobster. :)[/B]

[quote name='Alberta Quilter']Now you guys have got me longing for the incredible lobster Cobb salad that I had in Bar Harbor at the Side Street Cafe in May! Expensive but so very good![/QUOTE]

Now I know where to go for lunch in September. We stayed in Bar Harbor for a week a number of years ago when we were still living in Halifax, but this will be our first visit since. We ate well that week (!) but it's great to have an up-to-date recommendation.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I Like Side Street Café and wish I'd thought to have Lobster Cobb salad. That must have been soooo good. Think I'll make one at home tomorrow with my left over lobster. :)[/B][/QUOTE]

Touché. :)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Caught my attention you said you got the female 1 1/2 pounders. I always ask for males. I don't care for the red eggs though I really like the roe. :)

[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I always ask for males also. Just had a female lobster at a Jersey Shore restaurant when I had ordered male. The males are not as sweet. I don't like the red eggs either.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Because it was my birthday, and I got the wrong order, the manager took $20 off the bill. A nice present, but I would have preferred what I ordered.

Judy, we really have to meet some day. Edited by mamaofami

[quote name='DaveOKC']How were the lobster rolls? The ones we had onboard were not very good IMO.[/quote]

thought they were pretty good --and the 'right price'.. best ones we've had so far have been at Stewmans in Bar Harbor--that was on last year's Maasdam 14 day

[quote name='cruz chic']I went to geddys based on comments on cruise critic. I had a lobster roll and I think it was $26. I thought it was overpriced.[/quote]

that sounds awfully high for their Lobster Roll..the folks at the table next to us ordered the Lobster Roll lunch special.. think it was $15 that day.. we decided on getting the whole lobster dinner special instead for our lunch

[quote name='Stakeout']that sounds awfully high for their Lobster Roll..the folks at the table next to us ordered the Lobster Roll lunch special.. think it was $15 that day.. we decided on getting the whole lobster dinner special instead for our lunch[/QUOTE]

I'm not making it up. Maybe they lowered the price because it was stupid high and a big rip off. I told they owner I thought the prices were too high. I've never seen a lobster roll for $15. Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='cruz chic']I'm not making it up. Maybe they lowered the price because it was stupid high and a big rip off. I told they owner I thought the prices were tioo high. I've never seen a lobster roll for $15.[/QUOTE]
I did. Well over a decade ago. I would avoid that $15 lobster roll like nobody's business.

[quote name='POA1']I did. Well over a decade ago. I would avoid that $15 lobster roll like nobody's business.[/QUOTE]

I should have said in the last decade:D. I'm done with lobster rolls. I swear that some of these touristy places just like to rip people off and I was stupid enough to fall for it. On top on that their wifi wasn't working. That didn't make me happy.

We sailed on the Maasdam last August, back to back from Boston. As we were leaving the ship to board the tender, there was a box of what were probably chicken lobsters on the upper platform. That evening they served a lobster appetizer that was a half lobster, I don't remember the other ingredients but it was a very nice appetizer and not a usual offering. Mussels and lobster rolls were also served on that sailing. The appetizer was only served on the northbound portion of the sailing.

This is one of our favorite itinerarys, cool temperatures, fresh lobster and beautiful scenery. We enjoy Side Street Cafe with it's large selection of gluten free. We also enjoy the drive to Reyes as well as Prince Water Street. Will miss this itinerary this year.

[quote name='cruz chic']I should have said in the last decade:D. I'm done with lobster rolls. I swear that some of these touristy places just like to rip people off and I was stupid enough to fall for it. On top on that their wifi wasn't working. That didn't make me happy.[/QUOTE]
It's okay. You're not the first, nor the only person who found lobster rolls underwhelming. However, for every person like you, there's my younger brother. He'll pull a U turn though four lanes of traffic to try a highly recommended lobby roll.

Let me say this up front -- I don't like lobster. Oysters, Mussels -- that's another story. Now you have to understand I grew up in New England, my whole family thinks I'm crazy.

I will scarf up caviar(even pay the surcharge in the Pinnacle grill), calamari, oysters, and mussels...there is just something about lobster that just is what can I say, meh.

So on formal nights, I will order something else -- even on shore I don't do lobster.

I just figure, that if the other 90% of the folks on the ship want multiple lobster tails they can have mine -- I passed on them for many cruises -- it doesn't matter which kind they are.

So, I do love to watch the exchanges about the various lobsters that are served around the world.

[quote name='momatibm']Let me say this up front -- I don't like lobster. Oysters, Mussels -- that's another story. Now you have to understand I grew up in New England, my whole family thinks I'm crazy.

I will scarf up caviar(even pay the surcharge in the Pinnacle grill), calamari, oysters, and mussels...there is just something about lobster that just is what can I say, meh.

So on formal nights, I will order something else -- even on shore I don't do lobster.

I just figure, that if the other 90% of the folks on the ship want multiple lobster tails they can have mine -- I passed on them for many cruises -- it doesn't matter which kind they are.

So, I do love to watch the exchanges about the various lobsters that are served around the world.[/QUOTE]
Can I suggest professional help? :D

[B]Not to worry....... We eat lobster all year round. :) Any restaurant that serves lobster in July, serves it in October assuming they do not close at end of high tourist season.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='Logistigr8r']You guys have me very excited about dining on lobster on our Fall Canada and New England cruise. Please tell me I can still find all these lobster dishes in October.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]As the link below shows, the lobster fishery is open somewhere in the Maritimes almost all the time, on top of which the lobster suppliers maintain lobster pounds to ensure availability 12 months a year. Have no fear, you can always find lobster! Thank goodness!!! :):):)

[url]http://www.tastelobster.ca/images/fishing_regions.pdf[/url][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Logistigr8r']You guys have me very excited about dining on lobster on our Fall Canada and New England cruise. Please tell me I can still find all these lobster dishes in October.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to wait for colder weather to eat lobster; when they're almost all hard-shelled lobsters, which I prefer over the shedders of summer. Lobster is readily available, and excellent, in October.

Some of the seaside clam shacks may be closed, but there's still fine lobster at regular indoor restaurants.

[quote name='Blue Mudshark']I prefer to wait for colder weather to eat lobster; when they're almost all hard-shelled lobsters, which I prefer over the shedders of summer. Lobster is readily available, and excellent, in October.

Some of the seaside clam shacks may be closed, but there's still fine lobster at regular indoor restaurants.[/QUOTE]

[B] Is there some law we can't eat lobster 12 months? :D

Though there are some folks who have tradition of lobster for either Christmas Eve or even New Years Eve.

The shedders lose their shells because they are growing too big for the old shell and are growing a new, larger one. All summer long we can get hard shells if we request that from our pound. My hands are fine but if someone has painful hands, the soft shells may be easier for them to manage.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Is there some law we can't eat lobster 12 months? :D

Though there are some folks who have tradition of lobster for either Christmas Eve or even New Years Eve.

The shedders lose their shells because they are growing too big for the old shell and are growing a new, larger one. All summer long we can get hard shells if we request that from our pound. My hands are fine but if someone has painful hands, the soft shells may be easier for them to manage.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Maine occasionally restricts lobstering due to whale migration in late fall or early winter. Realistically though, most of your lobster from winter through at least late May comes from Canada.

There's no calendar based restrictions, but the price certainly fluctuates.

[B]Prices this summer have been on the higher end but I think that will (or already is) changing.

Certainly lobsters for the holidays are premium pricing. :eek:

[/B]