Seward 2016

Djaye

Researching for next year's cruise. Will be in Seward for a few days on our own prior to southbound cruise on Millie, and not planning to have a car there. What is the best hotel to stay in for walking or public transportation in Seward?

Seward is VERY small. There are 2 distinct areas; Harbor area and the downtown area which are about 1 1/2 miles apart. There's a lovely path that follows the waterfront between both areas, or a free shuttle on cruise days, or a cab from one end to the other is $6.

There's a Holiday Inn Express at the Harbor, and a Best Western near waterfront downtown. And in between are small hotels, cabins, B&B's.

Send for the free visitor guide:

http://www.seward.com/

free shuttle http://www.sewardchamber.org/wp-content/uploads/2012-Free-Shuttle-Schedule.pdf

I use my points when I stay at the Holiday Inn, but, it's costly otherwise. There are some very nice B&B's- but many, you are better off with a car. My standard- good value that I've used for many years is The Marina. In my case, walkable, but short cab to anywhere in Seward. I am not picky, so a whole different priority than most. :)

Researching for next year's cruise. Will be in Seward for a few days on our own prior to southbound cruise on Millie, and not planning to have a car there. What is the best hotel to stay in for walking or public transportation in Seward?

As mentioned Seward is small. I think you should also look at the rental houses, B&Bs etc as an alternative to hotels. We stayed in a nice little 2 bedroom house half way between the harbour and the Sea Life Centre. It was $225 a night and we had our own kitchen to save on meal costs plus a washing machine and dryer that was quite handy after two weeks on Radiance of the Seas!

A taxi to anywhere in Seward was only $5 and the free shuttle bus is also handy. It runs every day and circles the town so basically you will be near a stop where ever you stay.

There is also the Windsong Lodge, outside of town. They provide shuttles into town on a regular basis, and are great about getting your luggage to the port for you. It provides a better atmosphere than a typical motel in town.

I was on the Northbound Millie cruise last week. We stayed one night at the Sauerdough Lodging, located near the SeaLife Center, on the 2nd floor of a historic building (no elevator). These are more like apartments than a hotel, having a full kitchen. I would stay there again. The advantages for us were cost $200 vs $300 at the Holiday Inn and the self catering.

Sent from my Nexus 7

We've stayed at both the Best Western Edgewater and the Holdiay Inn in Seward. Actually, we were there for three nights in May and the Holiday Inn was actually a little cheaper on those dates.

While I have found that the rooms are a little nicer at the Holiday Inn I don't have a preference between the two. The breakfasts are similar in quality. The parking is a little more convenient at the Holiday Inn, and the location is very nice when doing a small ship excursion. But the Edgewater is located very close to the SeaLife Center.