Check-in Service at MIA but not flying in

barbaro_3003

Hi all

We are booked on the Ecstasy 4-day cruise in the fall. We are going to drive into Miami on Friday to spend time with some family, but will be meeting up with some friends flying in early Monday morning for the cruise. It it possible/good idea to meet them at the airport and all utilize the check-in service at MIA then go to the port, or pick up our friends at the airport and then we all check in at the cruise terminal? Since its a short cruise they will be carrying on all luggage, and won't need to wait on baggage claim. I'm having family play taxi, so it won't be a big deal to get dropped off, meet our friends at the terminal get checked in, then proceed to the cruise port. I just didn't know if they required you to show a boarding pass or some other proof that you actually flew into MIA on the day of the cruise...

-E

As long as it's the day of the cruise you should be good to go. They don't ask for your flight info, just your cruise docs... It will save you time when you get to the port because there is an "airport check-in" line, and you will already have your S&S card in hand...

They don't need flight info. Since your family will have to keep circling the airport, or go park, I would just swing by and pick them up then all check in at the port. They won't be able to just wait for all of you to get done outside the arrivals terminal. There's also a good chance the line will be longer at the airport than at the port.

• 5 weeks later...
i have a rental to drop off at MIA first.

is it better to check in there or the port?

can i check in for my wife and kids or do they need to be present (wait in the car)?

All people must be present in person. They take your picture for your S&S card and verify identities.

The rental car turn in and luggage claim areas (where the check in counters are) are at different areas of the airport. Just go to the port.

Edited by firemanbobswife

As long as it's the day of the cruise you should be good to go. They don't ask for your flight info, just your cruise docs... It will save you time when you get to the port because there is an "airport check-in" line, and you will already have your S&S card in hand...

Sounds like a hassle for you to get out of your car, find the check in, and all that time, your ride is waiting and circling around and around. Just pick them up, let your friends drop you off at the port.

Where exactly in the Miami airport is the cruise check in counter? I've never flown into Miami before and our flight lands fairly early (God willing) and it'd be nice to check in there before heading to the port. Anyone know the location/hours?

Where exactly in the Miami airport is the cruise check in counter? I've never flown into Miami before and our flight lands fairly early (God willing) and it'd be nice to check in there before heading to the port. Anyone know the location/hours?

Yes it's down by the baggage claim areas. One by Delta right as you go down the escalator and the other by gate 20 something for AA - all the way at the end.

Yes it's down by the baggage claim areas. One by Delta right as you go down the escalator and the other by gate 20 something for AA - all the way at the end.

And in the meantime, driver of the pick up car is circling.:D I see it would benefit someone simply flying in, but not in the scenario of the OP question of picking up someone.

I did not know you can check in at the airport for your cruise!! Is it a Carnival desk? What happens when you get to the port? Do they take your luggage? Do you need to use Carnival transfers to the port or can you check in and take a taxi?

TIA

The only difference is that you have your S&S card and don't have to check in at the counter. You still drop your bags off out front, go through security, and wait to board just like everyone else. You still need to have your Passport/ID out when entering the building to prove you are who you say you are.

Just wondering...is there a check in at Fort Lauderdale airport too? Can we check into the Fort Lauderdale airport if our cruise is leaving out of the POM???

No, just MIA

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Check_In_Service_at_Miami_International_Airport.htm

Carnival guests who fly in through Miami International Airport and sail from either the Port of Miami or Port Everglades, now can check-in for their cruise at the airport.

Edited by ohiogymrat

We carry on our luggage, so not sure about that. We always take a taxi - Carnival transfers take too long to fill up the bus. Loved the airport checkin.

The only difference is that you have your S&S card and don't have to check in at the counter. You still drop your bags off out front, go through security, and wait to board just like everyone else. You still need to have your Passport/ID out when entering the building to prove you are who you say you are.

Thank you for the replies!

Where is the usual delay (long lines) at the port? to check in or security?

If you do check in at MIA, is there a separate line for security?

Where do you get your zone boarding number? MIA or the port upon arrival?

Where is the usual delay (long lines) at the port? to check in or security?

If you do check in at MIA, is there a separate line for security?

Where do you get your zone boarding number? MIA or the port upon arrival?

We haven't really experienced long lines during either security or check in at the port but then again we always try to get FTTF. Even when we don't, check in goes pretty quick.

There are no separate lines for security if you get your S&S card at MIA. It is identical to checking in at the port with the exception that you don't wait in the check in line as you already have your S&S card.

The longest lines I saw was when I was waiting at the airport for friends watching people check in at the Carnival counter. With only 3-4 people working and the lines at times more than 20 people deep, it was crazy. But then there were times when no one was there. Just depends on your timing.

You get your zone card at the port as it's on a first come first served basis.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Can you drop off a rental car then use the Carnival check in at MIA? My Mom and I are flying into FLL (and will probably rent a car) but are cruising out of the POM (on the Breeze). Would it make sense.be easier for us to drop off our car at the MIA airport then check in for our cruise (we're on a B2B if that makes a difference) then head to the port in a taxi to board the ship? Not sure if that's better or if we should drop off our car elsewhere and just head to the port and check in there. We're both Platinum if that makes a difference.