Fincantieri Shipyard Seized, including Vista

SeeBurd

thanksfor sharing you sure know your stuff.

As I recall from Sunshine threads, workers were sabatoging the rebuild destroying parts. There was a very interesting thread on this and amazing what was going on.

Agree on both counts. The threads and links to outside info, during the Sunshine problems were fascinating to read (albeit not so much fun for people who were supposed to sail on her).

Agree on both counts. The threads and links to outside info, during the Sunshine problems were fascinating to read (albeit not so much fun for people who were supposed to sail on her).

Agreed. Would be nice to sail on a first cruise but too much risk of delays especially when it is the first of a new class of ship.

This is exactly why we're taking the transatlantic. As far as airfare I think last time this happened Carnival reimburses a change fee not the total cost. This is why trip insurance is so important for cruising and flying. Hope it works out and they've left enough lead time for all the inaugural cruisers to make their date.

This is exactly why we're taking the transatlantic. As far as airfare I think last time this happened Carnival reimburses a change fee not the total cost. This is why trip insurance is so important for cruising and flying. Hope it works out and they've left enough lead time for all the inaugural cruisers to make their date.

We were planning on doing the TA but the itinerary leaves a lot to be desired and we couldnt make the time to do a b2b with the last European cruise before the crossing.

Not the airfare. Carnival provides the cruise, not HOW you get there. In this case, it's not even in the near future!

If they purchased other insurance (travel guard, travel insured) it would be covered.

Well by the looks of things with the news over there the seizure will be lifted tomorrow. And will be back to work on the 4th.

Was just going to post the same, see attached. So much for all the doom and gloom, now those who stir the pot will have to reach out for another twig to latch onto.

http://www.italy24.ilsole24ore.com/art/business-and-economy/2015-07-01/sequestro-monfalcone-184740.php?uuid=ACwJg8J&icmpid=boxhp

Agreed. Would be nice to sail on a first cruise but too much risk of delays especially when it is the first of a new class of ship.

Through alot of the 1980's and 1990's my parents (deceased now) would always book inaugural cruises hoping that they wouldn't happen on time. They always got their airfare through the cruise lines. I can't remember how many times the inaugurals were delayed due to the ships not being finished, but it was quite a few. They made out like bandits. No change fee for the air since the cruise line booked it and a nice big price reduction and OBC to get them to change the date. They were actually disappointed in those cases where the ships were finished and sailed on time because they were expensive cruises compared to the delayed inaugurals.

If they purchased other insurance (travel guard, travel insured) it would be covered.

I didn't get the impression there was insurance based on the question regarding who'll take care of airfare. Carnival would have reimbursed the cruise fare if the cruise had been cancelled.

I didn't get the impression there was insurance based on the question regarding who'll take care of airfare. Carnival would have reimbursed the cruise fare if the cruise had been cancelled.

You may be correct, I was just commenting on whether insurance would cover something like this. It appears to be a mute point but I would guess that Carnival would cover the air as well if it came to that.

Through alot of the 1980's and 1990's my parents (deceased now) would always book inaugural cruises hoping that they wouldn't happen on time. They always got their airfare through the cruise lines. I can't remember how many times the inaugurals were delayed due to the ships not being finished, but it was quite a few. They made out like bandits. No change fee for the air since the cruise line booked it and a nice big price reduction and OBC to get them to change the date. They were actually disappointed in those cases where the ships were finished and sailed on time because they were expensive cruises compared to the delayed inaugurals.

Guess they were retired at the time and had no problem to reschedule.

Nice business if you can get it.:)

You may be correct, I was just commenting on whether insurance would cover something like this. It appears to be a mute point but I would guess that Carnival would cover the air as well if it came to that.

Under some circumstances like a last minute cancellation, but in this particular case, why would they cover fares for 11 months from now?

The overall issue is due to an unauthorized, temporary dump site on the shipyard grounds. Red tape stuff. The shipyard will resolve issue quickly.

I wouldn't say you are entirely correct that this issue will resolve anytime soon. Fincantieri has enlisted 150 workers over the courts decree to move the Vista out of dock because of another Princess ship under construction needs that space, so yes the construction on the Vista is temporarily halted at this stage.

From Il Piccolo 7/2/2015:

"MONFALCONE. All expectations are put to the Council of Ministers scheduled for tomorrow, Friday, July 3rd. An important meeting because it is expected to approve an emergency decree that brings release from seizure of Fincantieri's Monfalcone standstill since last Monday with 4-5mila people at home.

A seizure decided by the Court of Gorizia "forced" by the Supreme Court to implement a request of the prosecutor who had been quashed twice (Gip and Court) because it saw no environmental dangers compared to the charge of "activities of managing waste without a permit" seen that it is processing waste of the yard (scrap, pipes, pieces of carpet, blasting powders, paints and solvents).

There is still no official confirmation but after the summit last Wednesday convened by the Minister of Industry Federica Guidi which was also attended by the environment minister Gian Luca Galletti over to the CEO of Fincantieri, Giuseppe Bono and the governor of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Debora Serracchiani, during which he found "a way out in a reasonable time" is likely to do the same ministers in council to approve an emergency decree.

Also because it is a question "administrative" and is likely to find a way out "in line with European standards" regarding storage of waste processing since the "temporary storage" (this is the crux of the prosecution ) are common practice and the decree could heal the interpretation as usual restrictive as Italy has given to the EU regulations.

Meanwhile Fincantieri over 150 employees drew other workers not to resume construction but for the output operations of Carnival Vista that will leave the dock to make way for a section of the Princess Cruises coming from Castellammare di Stabia Monday, along about 100 meters.

"There is a great and understandable concern on the part of workers, a state of anxiety visible. Expect

the decisions of the Council of Ministers tomorrow, then we are ready to solutions even housewives, local. There are various options, see what happens. " He said the prefect of Gorizia, Vittorio Zappalorto, which met this morning a delegation of workers of the plant.

Invia per email

Stampa

July 2, 2015"

Under some circumstances like a last minute cancellation, but in this particular case, why would they cover fares for 11 months from now?

Why would anyone try and claim it now? Of course, the only way they could make a claim would be if the ship did not sail.

So if the Vista is late and won't be ready will we get our money back? Like our airline tickets?I just spent 2400 on them. Who will come good for that?

I would suggest you get the insurance immediately if you have not done so already. This is exactly what it is intended to take off your plate.