Flying into Orlando and driving to Port of Miami question

ZRC1MLC2

Forgive me if this type of question has previously been asked. We are flying into Orlando on November 20 for the Breeze sailing out of Miami on November 21. It was cheaper to do that and drive to Miami. Is it better to drive down on the 20th after the plane lands at 5pm or get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and drive, hoping there is no traffic? We will be renting a car at Orlando airport and returning it on the 21st somewhere in Miami, possibly the airport. I need to make a hotel reservation soon so I need advice from those that have experience with the traffic conditions on Saturdays around the Miami area. I like to get to the port and board the ship early so we can enjoy every last second of vacation. I don't like to get stressed sitting traffic and start vacay on a bad note. We could just get to the port around 2 and in that case we would stay in Orlando and enjoy the evening after flying. Ugh, so many decisions. HELP?! TIA :confused:

Forgive me if this type of question has previously been asked. We are flying into Orlando on November 20 for the Breeze sailing out of Miami on November 21. It was cheaper to do that and drive to Miami. Is it better to drive down on the 20th after the plane lands at 5pm or get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and drive, hoping there is no traffic? We will be renting a car at Orlando airport and returning it on the 21st somewhere in Miami, possibly the airport. I need to make a hotel reservation soon so I need advice from those that have experience with the traffic conditions on Saturdays around the Miami area. I like to get to the port and board the ship early so we can enjoy every last second of vacation. I don't like to get stressed sitting traffic and start vacay on a bad note. We could just get to the port around 2 and in that case we would stay in Orlando and enjoy the evening after flying. Ugh, so many decisions. HELP?! TIA :confused:

Personal preference really. No, I don't think Sat traffic would be a problem. We prefer to get our driving over with and enjoy the down time in the port city, especially if you're looking at a 4 hour drive in the morning. Besides, IMO, Miami is nice if you get something on the beach.

I assume you plan to use the toll road to Miami. Traffic is much better.

Edited by scuabacruiser

Traffic is not too bad on a Saturday morning. I'd do it that morning instead of adding onto an already tiring day and having to deal with getting into a hotel very late at night.

We live in the Orlando area and leave around 7 to 7:30 AM when we're sailing out of Miami. You might want to add a little time if you're planning to turn in the car in Miami and take a cab or shuttle to the port. It's not a stressful drive at all but I'd much rather do it in daylight hours instead of at night.

We did this a couple of years ago. The drive was not bad but it was a pain.

I would drive down the same night. I would rather be in Miami the morning of departure.

Here are a couple of things to consider. I am assuming that you are flying back out of Orlando.

There are tolls between Orlando and Miami so keep your toll recipts. We got a bill from the rental car company about 4 months later for a missed toll.

The one way drop off charge may be more than renting the car for the entire week. We ended up renting for the week.

If you rent for the week you have two options. Look for a park and cruise rate that will include parking and a transfer over or staying in Ft Lauderdale will be cheaper and do off site parking. We did the parking at Ft Lauderdale and offsite parking.

Enjoy your trip.

Where in Tennessee are you flying from? Southwest Airlines flies non-stop into Fort Lauderdale from Nashville BNA, and their fares do not show in the major online booking engines. You might also try Choice Aire from BNA to MIA. They also do not show in the major online booking engines and have very reasonable non-stop flights to MIA from BNA $270 round trip for your dates.

Just wanted to see if you might have better options than driving 10+ hours round trip MCO to MIA.

We did this a couple of years ago. The drive was not bad but it was a pain.

I would drive down the same night. I would rather be in Miami the morning of departure.

Here are a couple of things to consider. I am assuming that you are flying back out of Orlando.

There are tolls between Orlando and Miami so keep your toll recipts. We got a bill from the rental car company about 4 months later for a missed toll.

The one way drop off charge may be more than renting the car for the entire week. We ended up renting for the week.

If you rent for the week you have two options. Look for a park and cruise rate that will include parking and a transfer over or staying in Ft Lauderdale will be cheaper and do off site parking. We did the parking at Ft Lauderdale and offsite parking.

Enjoy your trip.

aren't there certain car rental agencies in Florida that don't charge drop off fees?

I have never encountered drop off fees in Florida before using Alamo, Budget, and Avis.

That being said things are always changing so that's why I am asking.

Bill

We did this last year.

I'd get the driving over with for peace of mind!

We used sat nav and asked for no highways and no tolls and ended up on the straight two lane truckers road all the way down, it was nice and no other traffic on it!

We stopped in miami but if doing it again I'd stop West palm beach or fll or somewhere and then finish in the morning.

My preference would be to drive the night before (less stress that way). Yes, it is about 4 hours (without rest stops) via the Turnpike but I always allow a little more time for wrong turns, dinner, refueling, etc.

You will also need a SunPass (from your rental car company) for the Miami area tolls. Rates vary, so shop around carefully.

Drive Friday night after your flight and stay near the MIA airport - you will not get there before about 10:00 PM. Drop the car the next morning at MIA - if you rent from National, Alamo or Thrifty you can ride their free shuttle to POM; otherwise you are looking at a $27+tip cab ride to the port.

If you drive down on Friday after arrival, you will run right into rush hour traffic and you might experience frustrating delays along your route.

If you drive down on Saturday morning, traffic should be very light until you reach the Miami area (there is always heavy traffic around Miami on I95 regardless of what day you drive in).

I would suggest a hotel stay somewhere in the middle of the State on Friday night then a quick drive to the Port in the morning. Good places to stop for the night halfway would be Fort Pierce, West Palm Beach, Port St. Lucie area. There are a ton of stores on your ride south if you need to stop for supplies.

I would suggest a hotel stay somewhere in the middle of the State on Friday night then a quick drive to the Port in the morning. Good places to stop for the night halfway would be Fort Pierce, West Palm Beach, Port St. Lucie area. There are a ton of stores on your ride south if you need to stop for supplies.

^^This.

Also, consider returning your car to the airport. I used to be able to find agencies that don't charge a one-way fee, but now only when it's an airport-to-airport rental. Also, the rate is usually lower. Book with one of the 3 agencies that have the free shuttle from the airport to the cruiseport and save $27 on taxi fee. This is one of the best airports for the free shuttles. They are easy to find and usually have quite a few waiting to load except at the busiest of times.

If you drive down on Friday after arrival, you will run right into rush hour traffic and you might experience frustrating delays along your route.

Even in South Florida, it shouldn't be that bad on the Turnpike. Once you get off the turnpike, it's another story.

These replies saying why drive after a long day of travelling, you guys notice the OP is posting from Tennessee? Unless the reason the flight is so cheap is because it's a 4 plane connection via Chicago, Vegas and Dallas, it's less than 2 hours each way. They aren't doing a cross continental trip here. The drive is going to be much more of a hassle than the flight, I would want that out of the way that night. Who knows what happens on the way down, do you really want to be sitting on the side of the highway at 11am 45 minutes south of Orlando with a broken down vehicle? You will be much more relaxed waking up with a reasonable distance of the ship, and likely have a better night sleep not having to worry about waking up early and hitting the road. Let's face it, pre-cruise excitement can get any of us and you can easily be laying there in Orlando wide awake at midnight.

The stated goal was be on the ship as early as possible and maximizing enjoyment of the ship and vacation time. I think the chances of that happening are greatly reduced by waking up 4 hours from the ship, you will be much more fatigued by the time you get there and not enjoy that first day as much.

aren't there certain car rental agencies in Florida that don't charge drop off fees?

I have never encountered drop off fees in Florida before using Alamo, Budget, and Avis.

That being said things are always changing so that's why I am asking.

Bill

When I went between Orlando and Tampa there was no fee, but down to Miami they hit me with the fee.

When I went between Orlando and Tampa there was no fee, but down to Miami they hit me with the fee.

Depends on the company. Most major ones allow pick-up and drop-off from any locations in Florida without a fee. One exception are franchise locations, as they buy their own cars and don't like them returned somewhere else.