Pictures from Norwegian Fjords & North Cape cruise

OceanPrince

Recently sailed on the 15-day Norway cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Some quick reviews and thoughts...

- Cruise was Southamption roundtrip with all10 ports in Norway. Each and every port had terrific places to visit though some required more work to get to. Lofoten island may be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

- Cruise definitely had the oldest clientele of my 7 Princess cruises which was anti-intuitive since it's a cruise with great hikes or other adventurous activities. We were surprised that only 6 of the 3200 passengers attempted to hike up Pulpit Rock in Stavanger.

- Was warned that Norway is expensive, but didn't realise the magnitude of it until I got there. Ship was at least 2/3 Brits. I've always thought Brits are king of the world when they travel as their buying power goes up wherever they go but I was wrong. It was interesting to see how paralyzed they were by the Norway prices.

Here are some wide-angle Go Pro shots.

J%20-%20Go%20Pro%2001_zpsogghjhhx.jpg

J%20-%20Go%20Pro%2006_zpscjcgdiqu.jpg

J%20-%20Go%20Pro%2005_zpspdurb962.jpg

J%20-%20Go%20Pro%2008_zpsa3qhrlf4.jpg

J%20-%20Go%20Pro%2010_zps9xrnffsr.jpg

J%20-%20Go%20Pro%2009_zpsssw4sp3d.jpg

Click on my signature below for the entire album.

Thanks, OceanPrince! Your pictures are stunning, and I'm so glad you got such a good picture of the beach at Lofoten. I was not able to capture its beauty with my point and shoot.

Actually, all my pictures in my album are with my Canon S100 Point & Shoot, including these. Many P&S camera have better optics than a Go Pro, just that Go Pros have wider angles.

(taken same place as the 5th picture above)

G%20-%20Lofoten%20Beach%2001_zps5ticw0gs.jpg

(taken same place as the 6th picture above)

G%20-%20Lofoten%20Beach%2002A_zpsoslroafa.jpg

Edited by OceanPrince

Actually, all my pictures in my album are with my Canon S100 Point & Shoot, including these. Many P&S camera have better optics than a Go Pro, just that Go Pros have wider angles.

Thanks, maybe once I've downloaded my images, they'll be as wonderful as yours. I can only hope, but I would be surprised if that were the case. I used a Canon Powershot Elph 110 HS.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Beautiful photos

What was the average age of the cruisers?

I am surprised there were as many Brits on that cruise

Brits usually go to countries where their £ gets the biggest bang.Norway is not one of those countries. As you said Norway is expensive

I looked into this cruise for next yr and it is the most expensive of all my past 9 cruises

But it does look very interesting

This was an easy cruise for Brits to take because it left from Southampton, England. It's like how there are so many Floridian's on Caribbean cruises. Princess also advertised some last minute deals for inside cabins on this cruise in Britain's Daily Mail. The ages on the ship were well dispersed between 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. There were also some 90 year olds onboard and even a 104 year old. I was amazed at how agile some of the 90 year olds were, even participating in Dancing with the Stars and going on tours with little or no assistance. Cruising must keep people young.

Edited by Mackenzie1

We just did a Norwegian Cruise in June and your pics get my blood flowing.

We only did a 7 day 4 port cruise. Would love to do 10 ports! That must have been fantastic!

We found great hikes at each port right off the ship for amazing views. We were suprised with about 5000 people in port that so few people did the hikes. There were some amazing views.

Not to take away from your post but Ill share a pic from Gerainger as we hiked up to Losta -

0c99513ed688ad01dbf4103274047ba3.jpg

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Did you do these hikes on your own off the ship or were they ship tours ?

Will I need to bring my hiking boots and walking stick on this cruise if I want to do the hike so?

We hiked on our own. There are plenty of trails and places to hike for free. The visitor center in each port had good maps.

We did see some of the ship tour groups assembling and doing tours. They get a guide that talks about the surrounding area but the hikes with the tours are easy to medium well kept paths. Good views but the ships have to accommodate all types of passengers.

We choose the path less traveled. It was muddy as it rained the day before we got there. Also the ground was very damp from melted snow and all the waterfalls were in full swing. I hiked in good walking shoes but wished I had boots. A walking stick/poles are a big plus, especially on the way down.

The trail we took was well marked. We would love to go back and hike some more. 8 hours in port is not long enough. Our trip up to Lostad was about 5 hours rt. Could have done it quicker but stopped to take lots of photos. Dress in layers. I went from wearing a T-shirt, hoodie, lightweight packable rain cover/jacket and wore every combination of of those through the hike. I wore shorts all day and that was not a problem.

Some more pics -

Chatting it up with the locals

da7402eb6d628a770edf9816fd1af83b.jpg

You can see the rope/chain tapped in to help with climbing over the rock at the top of this section of trail

fa9b3202ea64cf9ab8eb39288dfc7a30.jpg

Hike up to the big waterfall in Flam. This was a popular and fairly easy hike.

984f65a2324631f7dbf26760c25865e8.jpg

I'd love to know some more about the hikes that the OP did especially up to Pulpit Rock. Was the trailhead accessible from the ship? How long was the hike?

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech