What would you expect carnival to do?

TNDeb

A few years ago a relative slipped on the Lido Deck on the Carnival Pride. The deck was wet, she had flip-flops on, coming back to a table with a plate of food and down she went. It was, thankfully, the last day of the cruise. She went to the Medical Office on the ship, and while the doc didn't set her wrist, he bandaged her up so the wrist would be supported, put her in a sling, gave her Tylenol I think, and home she came the next day. It turned out to be a tiny fracture of the wrist, no surgery required thank goodness. She said the medical team couldn't have been nicer, she paid nothing, and she was never billed for anything when she got home. Surprised me, as I thought for sure she would have been charged something.

On our last cruise my husband had a light fixture fall off the ceiling onto his head in the dining room. An officer immediately came over and took a report. After that, nothing. Not a call, not a card, no kind of apology whatsoever.

They should have at least called to make sure he was ok.

Later in the cruise we noticed many other loose light fixtures in the same dining room. Wouldn't you think after someone got hurt they would have checked the other lights? Smh.

. If some Girl Scout selling cookies injured themselves on you property, wouldn't you be worried about getting sued over it? I sure would.

I can't imagine why you would be worried. You would only be liable if you had done something negligent. Your insurance might settle if they think it would be cheaper than taking the chance if you had done something that might be borderline negligent.

This whole American attitude of "If I get hurt it's somebody else's fault" is just ridiculous. If you slip because you are stupid enough to wear flip flops on a wet floor that's just your own stupidity and nobodies fault but your own.

Now a light fixture falling on you head is a whole nuther thang.

On our last cruise my husband had a light fixture fall off the ceiling onto his head in the dining room. An officer immediately came over and took a report. After that, nothing. Not a call, not a card, no kind of apology whatsoever.

They should have at least called to make sure he was ok.

Later in the cruise we noticed many other loose light fixtures in the same dining room. Wouldn't you think after someone got hurt they would have checked the other lights? Smh.

It would be nice if these kind of things happen that posters would say the ship, sailing date, and dining room so that others could check out the hazard when they board the ship and point it out to the crew to ensure it won't happen to them.

Anyone who wears flip flops on the lido deck is a sadist. They really ARE made for walking in the sand so the sand drops out. Wearing them on a smooth surface is like wearing ice skates.

Masochist, a sadist would be the one wetting the deck. ;)

I agree with most the others.

Unless Carnival knew the spill was there and ignored it they were not negligent.

I do not think her fellow cruisers should be entitled to anything. I do think Carnival should cover her medical costs occurred while on board. I also think it was nice of them to reimburse her excursion and was just a good thing to do, though not required.

Now the light fixture to the head. Carnival should have done a better job with that.

About getting off the ship. What time did this happen? After luggage was picked up? If so its almost impossible to find anybody's luggage. It's put into steel crates for offloading. Those are organized without aisle ways.

It was around 1AM after bags were checked.

For the record, based on some of these posts, I was in no way expecting anyone to x-ray her wrist, set her wrist, or put her wrist in a cast. I was hoping to get an Ace bandage (which I would have paid for and applied), and get off the ship as soon as luggage was cleared through customs. That's it. We didn't get off the ship until 11:30. Well after all the priority guests. I am in no way saying that Carnival was responsible for her injuring herself. When I wrote them I made that perfectly clear and even told them it was a great cruise.

Shouldn't their insurance cover her medical cost. If they were negligent then there would be additional payments maybe for pain and suffering. But that is the same as your home owners covering if someone trips and falls at your house.

That's probably why there are few American based cruise lines. America is so litigious and everyone feels like they should be able to blame somebody if an accident occurs. Sometimes an accident is nobody's fault. It's just an accident. I personally think it's crazy that if you trip over your own feet in somebody else's house it's considered their fault. Not all countries are like us in that regard.

It was around 1AM after bags were checked.

For the record, based on some of these posts, I was in no way expecting anyone to x-ray her wrist, set her wrist, or put her wrist in a cast. I was hoping to get an Ace bandage (which I would have paid for and applied), and get off the ship as soon as luggage was cleared through customs. That's it. We didn't get off the ship until 11:30. Well after all the priority guests. I am in no way saying that Carnival was responsible for her injuring herself. When I wrote them I made that perfectly clear and even told them it was a great cruise.

The one thing that amazes me is that they let you stay on the ship until 11:30. I've cruised 29 times with 19 of those times being with Carnival and I've never yet seen a cruise ship that had not disembarked all of its passengers by 10:30 a.m. Except in the event of major weather delays.

No one seems to haver ruined your cruise contract agreement. Guilty- I don't think I've ever read the whole thing. I just figure I'm signing away all rights to everything!

I do believe offering medical care is the prudent thing to do, and I'm glad they covered it. However, if you were at a friend's house and slipped on beer, who would pay your medical bills? I realize there's homeowners insurance, but if it's not their fault....

No one seems to haver ruined your cruise contract agreement. Guilty- I don't think I've ever read the whole thing. I just figure I'm signing away all rights to everything!

I do believe offering medical care is the prudent thing to do, and I'm glad they covered it. However, if you were at a friend's house and slipped on beer, who would pay your medical bills? I realize there's homeowners insurance, but if it's not their fault....

It doesn't matter where you are...if you have an accident the first reponse from many many peeps is "who is going to pay for this". Trust me, they will attach your homeowners policy, or look to the cruiseline, or the deepest pockets they can find. Two friends...one playing with the others dog at the others home...got bitten during all the fun....attached the homeowners policy....eventually sued...they are no longer friends....sad world.

It doesn't matter where you are...if you have an accident the first reponse from many many peeps is "who is going to pay for this". Trust me, they will attach your homeowners policy, or look to the cruiseline, or the deepest pockets they can find. Two friends...one playing with the others dog at the others home...got bitten during all the fun....attached the homeowners policy....eventually sued...they are no longer friends....sad world.

In laws had friends like that. Got to a point when they'd only see them in restaurants, driving separate cars.

What scares me is that there isn't 24/7 emergency medical service available.

Now that comment I totally agree with. Since it is a closed community, there is nowhere else to go for help. Someone s/b available 24 hours. The doctor surly hasn't left the ship. He is somewhere.

Several years ago I tripped and bumped my toe on a deck chair. We could immediately see it was broken, so I went down to medical. It was a very busy waiting room, as there were rough seas and many(including crew) were there for Dramamine. It never occurred to me that it was anyone's fault but my own, and I was just glad I had bought travel insurance, but they called some safety officials down and they did an incident report. It turned out that due to high winds they had closed the outer decks-or were in the process of closing- but we had gone out doors without signs posted yet. In any case they were quite wonderful about the whole thing. As far as I was concerned it was my clumsiness, but they covered all the medical expenses, and even got me a wheelchair for no charge.

I ended posting a thread here because I read a very complainy post by someone on my same cruise about the clinic and staff. I suppose it shows everyone's mileage may very, but I couldn't have been more pleased.

Be happy you in the US and not some third world crap hole.

The cruise line (and any normal human) knows marble gets like ice when wet.

Yet, according to some, there is no liability.

But back to the real question.

A cruise ship is like a well appointed third world nation.

I disagree with most of the posters. If I fell and broke my wrist and they couldn't send someone to look at it, I would be livid. I'm sure she was in a lot of pain and she shouldn't have had to stabilize her wrist with a towel. I also agree that they could have been given 1 or 2 tags to get off early, if for no other reason than to avoid getting jostled by crowds of people.

Later on, DH and I were talking and wondering what Carnival would do for this passenger. We both agreed that she shouldn't have to pay one cent on any medical costs, but what about the cost of their cruise? Because of Carnival's negligent this lady broke her foot and was not able to continue her vacation as she had planned. And what of the other couple vacationing with them?

What do y'all think?

I think (since you asked), it is none of my business, or yours. Why get worked up over someone else's business. There are two sides to every story.

Also, bad things happen, if there is a storm and can't go to the scheduled ports, i do not expect a refund for my cruise. The ship is fueled, i am using the cabin, services of the crew and officers, and eating the food. People expect too much.

When something happens in todays world people are suing everybody and anybody even the dog if he was near by. Years ago you would not have even thought of it. Today you and your overpriced lawyer can go after everything and everybody. :D The sun didn't shine today at HMC I want my money back or I'm suing Carnival.

Edited by PA Dutchman

The one thing that amazes me is that they let you stay on the ship until 11:30. I've cruised 29 times with 19 of those times being with Carnival and I've never yet seen a cruise ship that had not disembarked all of its passengers by 10:30 a.m. Except in the event of major weather delays.

There were custom delays on our Carnival cruise. We finally left the ship at 11:45 AM and we were assigned a spot half way through the debarkation process.

I disagree with most of the posters. If I fell and broke my wrist and they couldn't send someone to look at it, I would be livid. I'm sure she was in a lot of pain and she shouldn't have had to stabilize her wrist with a towel. I also agree that they could have been given 1 or 2 tags to get off early, if for no other reason than to avoid getting jostled by crowds of people.

I was able to find Carnival's email response to me. I couldn't find the one I sent them because I believe it was through their website, but I was very friendly and complimentary of the overall cruise experience. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting us about your recent cruise aboard the Carnival Pride and for explaining the issues so clearly.

We're extremely sorry to hear about the experience your girlfriend had in your cabin. We sincerely hope that by receipt of this email, XXXX is well on her way to recovery and is no longer experiencing the pain you have described. The safety and wellbeing of our guests are at the forefront of our mind on all cruises, with making sure you have a fun and memorable vacation coming close second.

We were very concerned with the impressions with which you were left and want to assure you that XXXX's wellbeing is our primary concern. Our ship's Medical Center is available during posted hours of operation, which are noted at the entrance to the center as well as in the Carnival FunTimes and on the in cabin televisions. Regrettably, outside of the posted hours of operation, our medical staff is only available for life-threatening emergencies. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

That being said, your feedback is important to us, which is why it's on its way to the relevant managers who will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn't happen to a future guest.

Jared, please don't let this tarnish your opinion of us. We'd love to welcome you and XXXX back aboard another Fun Ship in the future.