Glass Blowing Question

Karysa

Is there anyway to request a piece of glass work be made for you either during a show or another time while you are on the sailing? If so has anyone ever done this and what did you have made and what was the cost? Thanks:)

No. What they do, is have the kids on the cruise make suggestions on what they would like made. They pick a winner and that child gets the piece. At the end of the cruise, they auction off 5-6 pieces for charity. Also, a few times during the cruise, they issue raffle tickets and the winner gets the piece the artist picked out for the raffle. Those are the only ways you can bring home a piece of glass.

The Corning School of Glass is a non-profit, so they cannot charge for their pieces.

I love watching the show. They often raffle off pieces at the end of a show, particularly the shows toward the end of the cruise. I've never been fortunate enough to win one.

These pieces are worth thousands of dollars on the market. I've watched a couple of the auctions for Susan G. Komen that they had and they typically get a couple thousand for them. One cruise I was one there was one lady who bought all 4 or 5 of the pieces auctioned!

They do give out their business cards if you want them and you can talk to them privately about a business deal, but it wouldn't be through Corning Glass. I'm not sure how it works, but I do remember people asking the same question as you and they gave them a card and said something to the effect of 'see me later.'

It is as mentioned they are for charity only. A friend I met in Bermuda did say you can contact the Bermuda glassworks and speak to them. The piece can be made ahead of time and you pick it up when you arrive. They are in the Dockyard. Good luck.

Lets not leave out Dale Chihuly has glass on Constellation and Infinity. If your a glass person and are doing the Alaska cruise out of Seattle. The Chihuly Garden and Glass at Seattle Center is a must.

8/9/2015 (Bermuda) Summit 3/5/16 (E Caribbean) Reflection 9/3/2016 (Europe/Med) Silhouette 1/14/207 (Asia) Millennium 5/7/2017 (Hawaii) Solstice

We have been on Equinox and Eclipse and loved the Corning Glass shows. We were fortunate enough to bid on pieces last fall on Eclipse at the end-of-the-cruise auction and were able to secure a gorgeous fish, whose price went into the Corning scholarship fund. On some cruises, as mentioned above, they have specific charities that benefit from the auctions. At each show we attended they did pass out a few raffle tickets and give away a few smaller pieces.

Our auction piece was wrapped beautifully for us to take home (they cannot ship). We had not bid before this last trip because of the difficulty of taking home a larger piece on an airplane. This time, however, we had driven to the home port, so we could go for it!

Please note that the Celebrity Glass Shows are from the Corning Glassworks in New York State and its artists, and not from the Bermuda Glassworks noted above. We received a lovely note from our on-board artist after we emailed her a photo of her fish in our home. The artists did share their contact info with anyone interested in a private commission from them.

Also, each show is unique during a cruise and the evening shows look very different in some ways from the daytime shows because of the difference in light, both natural and man-made. Please go and enjoy.

The artists did share their contact info with anyone interested in a private commission from them.

If artists don't mention the opportunity to contact them later, ask them after the show ends for their contact info and what you have in mind. Good Luck

another thing we learned when we went to the informal "meet the artists" one evening was that if you are ever in Corning, NY you can show your Celebrity Seapass card and get into the Corning Glass museum for free. This was in 2013, so don't know if it is true today.

Edited by emilygrace

One of the very talented artists on our last cruise, Tom Ryder, provided us with his website. You can order from there.

http://tomryderart.com/glass.html

Thanks for the information. My thinking on this is that requesting a piece while on the cruise and even better yet watching it being made would make for a wonderful souveigner. Ordering a piece just does not have the same appeal to me. I will keep my eyes open for an on board auction though and if we find a piece that we would like then we will bid for it.

Thanks for the information. My thinking on this is that requesting a piece while on the cruise and even better yet watching it being made would make for a wonderful souveigner. Ordering a piece just does not have the same appeal to me. I will keep my eyes open for an on board auction though and if we find a piece that we would like then we will bid for it.

We did have the experience of sailing twice with the same glass artist.

On the first cruise we were outbid on a piece I loved (it was good that we stopped bidding because the guy who outbid us told us afterwards that he would have bid "as much as it took, with no top limit" to get the piece. I mentioned my disappointment to the artist on the second cruise and described the piece. He ended up making something pretty similar and that time we weren't outbid.

We've purchased 4 of the pieces from the auction at the end and just love looking at them and re-living the memories they evoke!

That said, we watched Tom work for 2 weeks and even if i commissioned a piece from him now it would still evoke memories of that cruise.

We LOVE the two pieces that we bid on and won on that Eclipse cruise (with Karen :D). For the person asking about the Breast Cancer Research piece - those gets a bit pricey - I think we paid $1,200. for ours but have heard of them going much higher. We also got a wonderful second piece that was about 450. Commissioning a piece wouldn't do for me - it is all about the trip and the memento of a lifetime.

Edited by Jane2357

another thing we learned when we went to the informal "meet the artists" one evening was that if you are ever in Corning, NY you can show your Celebrity Seapass card and get into the Corning Glass museum for free. This was in 2013, so don't know if it is true today.

Hello,

Still a valid offer for admission...from the CMOG website:

CELEBRITY CRUISES SEAPASS DISCOUNT

Those who have experienced the Hot Glass Show at Sea aboard the Celebrity Solstice, Equinox, or Eclipse, or traveled on any Celebrity Cruises ship are invited to visit the Museum as a special guest! Just show your Celebrity SeaPass and receive free admission for two and a 10% discount in the GlassMarket. Plus, kids and teens, 17 and under, are always free. (Valid for US residents only through December 31, 2015. The offer is non-transferable and you must provide a photo ID. Discount applies to non-sale items purchased in-store only. May not be used in conjunction with any other discount.)

BBL

We LOVE the two pieces that we bid on and won on that Eclipse cruise (with Karen :D). For the person asking about the Breast Cancer Research piece - those gets a bit pricey - I think we paid $1,200. for ours but have heard of them going much higher. We also got a wonderful second piece that was about 450. Commissioning a piece wouldn't do for me - it is all about the trip and the memento of a lifetime.

Hi Jane!

We miss you guys!

I won't even say what we paid for these two Breast Cancer Research pieces.

Allan just keeps saying the money went to a worthy charity. (I really hope it did!)

But I DO love them!!!!

305761980_Hotglassshow.jpg.fae108645b2fe32ff59e3d356a2d1392.jpg

Edited by chamima

Hi Karen!!! We miss you guys too. Jump on board with us to Alaska - May 27, '16 or hit the Panama April 2, '17. You'll be proud that Alaska has us in Aqua :eek: so not sure we will like it but I can survive for 7 nights - lol.

I have a piece of glass made on eclipse, we bought it in the auction back in 2009 before the auction prices ver went above $300. On talking to the artist they said that they can all be commissioned to make a piece but not while on the ship. We were given her business card to contact her if we wished them to do another.