Needing Sage Advice From Regent Aficionados...

Actually Jackie, Oktoberkat called the suite on the glitzy side; not gaudy. Not sure I agree, but I concur about the art--regrettable.

Obviously all depends on your definition and taste.

Heh. In my book, glitzy = lots of chrome and other shiny surfaces plus questionably ambitious lighting.

yep trying to understand that too.

Obviously the elevator music had a major affect. I have never liked much of the artwork around any of the Regent ships, but it sure has not had any, much less to say a major effect, on any of our cruises, I just don't look at it, anymore than I was aware of music in the elevator.

I have also said that Navigator is not our favorite ship, mostlly for lack of an observation area, and the smaller lounges, but we have never had a bad cruise on her and are looking forward to our Trans Canal sailing in Sept.

We try to look for the positives and ignore the negatives whenever possible, not to say that sometimes the negatives can really have an adverse affect, it certainly can, but worrying about elevator music, ugly artwork, what color the chairs in the lounge are, etc, seems to be looking for things to complain about, rather than focusing on the positive.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Oktoberkat, Please take this in fun as that is my intention. I could not help notice your reference to the size of your balcony as abstemious. Abstemious is used with food or drink, no cocktails on the balcony:D?

Heh, cocktails and bubbles aplenty. I like "abstemious" as a way to characterize lack of indulgence which was the case with the hard product afforded by the balcony.

Having sailed on the Navigator I'm still trying to figure out how the balcony can be "abstemious" and have a "lack of indulgence".

I would rather call it a "relaxed" form of luxury. Definitely not low-end, perhaps not gaudy or overwrought, so maybe you could call that minimalist. I call it relaxed and comfortable, very comfortable.

Ditto.

Having sailed on the Navigator I'm still trying to figure out how the balcony can be "abstemious" and have a "lack of indulgence".

WOW....abstmious.....phew, right over my head. I guess I'm stupid but I fail to see why that word would be assoicated with a balcony. Hey, now I've got a new scrabble word! (giggle!!)

It means bad curbside service on your stoop........

ab·ste·mi·ous

əbˈstēmēəs/

adjective

not self-indulgent, especially when eating and drinking.

"“We only had a bottle.” “Very abstemious of you.”"

synonyms: self-denying, temperate, abstinent, moderate, self-disciplined, restrained, self-restrained, sober, austere, ascetic, puritanical, spartan, hair-shirt

"the monks here have willingly chosen this abstemious life"

antonyms: self-indulgent

Origin

early 17th century: from Latin abstemius (from ab- ‘from’ + a word related to temetum ‘strong drink’) + -ous.

Translate abstemious to

Use over time for: abstemious

Just re-read OctoberKat's review of the Navigator and there are a couple of points that she made that could help the OP. If the coffee machine in your suite is not working (or you do not know how to use it) -- just ask your butler. He will replace it within minutes or show you how to use it.

If you were to enjoy curries as OctoberKat does and it isn't available at lunch -- pre-order it (or any other dish that you would like) for the next day. You could even ask for a standing order (my DH did that with English bacon so that it was available every morning).

Still trying to figure out what ambitious lighting is..... does that mean too strong (mudhen - you are the resident teacher - any suggestions?) We find the lighting in Regent suites a bit difficult when trying to put on make-up or my DH is shaving. IMO, a different type of lighting in the bathrooms and make-up areas would be helpful.

We have stayed in a Master Suite on the Navigator and would have enjoyed the balcony if the wind had not been so strong (we were in Alaska). We did have windows in the front of the ship which enabled us to have amazing views from our living room.

I seem to recall that the last refurbishment all of the ships included a make-over in the top suites -- not in the lower suites. While I have not been on the Navigator since the last refurbishment, I was given a slideshow so I could see the suites, new carpeting in the public areas and the furnishings in the lounges. They were all lovely! This would lead me to believe that the Master Suites are still in very good shape - even prior to dry dock.

Still think that you can have a great cruise on the Navigator!

Hello Cwazes:

I sincerely hope you make a video series about your RSSC experience because your Crystal ones are so entertaining they've been watched twice. And you inspired me to take the Crystal video iMovie making courses so now I make my own! One difference you will notice is the Crystal lectures and activities are excellent with so many options. Then again Terry Breen was our all time fave Lecturer on the Mariner doing South America in 2008. And we were lucky to see her again on Princess in Alaska.

My Crystal and RSSC cruises number 12, 6 on each over the past 12 years. We are booked for Cape Town to Rio this November and our first World Cruise on Crystal in 2018!

We thoroughly enjoy both Lines for so many different reasons but it all boils down to what you think you need to make to make your cruise special....and not really caring too much about the annoying things. We make cruises work for us choosing what we consider the best options every day. Screeching entertainers can show up anywhere so we sit close to the exit. Entertainers wearing lit up suits are interesting for 5 minutes. Recently on the Queen Mary there were 3 classical guitar concerts by Carlos Bonell which were the best I've ever seen. When we fill our evaluations mostly everything is N/A. My partner loves a good bridge program and trivia and I just love to be on a ship...any old tub will do, especially the fancy ones.

Greetings from South Beach. As one who has posted on a Navigator Roll Call with no responses, I wondered about that. We like the Navigator, and will sail on her November 12th. I wonder if people don't respond because they expect to run into negative commentary. I notice a certain amount of nastiness creeping in here and there. If bashing is fashionable, so be it. However, cruising is supposed to be fun. If it's not, well then, try something else.

Bon voyage, everyone.

Mary

Edited by warburg

Greetings from South Beach. As one who has posted on a Navigator Roll Call with no responses, I wondered about that. We like the Navigator, and will sail on her November 12th. I wonder if people don't respond because they expect to run into negative commentary. I notice a certain amount of nastiness creeping in here and there. If bashing is fashionable, so be it. However, cruising is supposed to be fun. If it's not, well then, try something else.

Bon voyage, everyone.

Mary

I have never seen bashing or anything unkind on Roll Calls. Generally few people participate but there are times when you can have a lot of participants. I assume that you are cruising in the Caribbean. Typically there are more people new to Regent on Caribbean and Alaska cruises - many of them are not aware of Cruise Critic.

Hope you have a great cruise on the Navigator!

I haven't posted very often and our two Crystal cruises were on the Harmony, but will be on the same cruise, but in steerage. There is no comparison between lower level cabins, Regent's are far superior. We have well over a year at sea on many different lines, Carnival to Regent. With many days on the Navigator, our favorite, including two 26 day cruises, all I can say if you join into the games and trivia you'll have a fine time during the sea days. Food and wine have almost always been very good. I find a positive attitude gets results, with the crew, even if you aren't in a top of the line suite.

I haven't posted very often and our two Crystal cruises were on the Harmony, but will be on the same cruise, but in steerage. There is no comparison between lower level cabins, Regent's are far superior. We have well over a year at sea on many different lines, Carnival to Regent. With many days on the Navigator, our favorite, including two 26 day cruises, all I can say if you join into the games and trivia you'll have a fine time during the sea days. Food and wine have almost always been very good. I find a positive attitude gets results, with the crew, even if you aren't in a top of the line suite.

Could not agree more about participating in games and trivia and having a positive attitude. That is so much more important than what suite category you are in!