Budget Airline - With Quality WOW Airlines

WalkAboutTheWorld

OK so shoot me , I'm not wealthy :) Even though I just booked a QM 2 Transatlantic next week I still need to watch those dollars. So I thought I would turn you on to an airline that I found that appears to offer budget pricing with a degree of quality.

The airline is Iceland's WOW airlines. They are quite inexpensively priced - last minute flights from Heathrow to Washington-Baltimore (they also fly to Boston) can be had for the 350-400 Euro range :eek:. Seat upgrades to more spacious seating can be had for about 50 Euros more . Extra baggage about 35 Euros give or take. I booked then for my flight back from Paris.

A nice touch is that - for no additional cost you can schedule an Reykjavik stopover for a few days if you like.

They are rather new but the reviews that I have been able to find for them online have been very positive overall - quite the opposite the expected cheapo airline experience.

I booked a flight from Charles de Gaulle to Washington- Baltimore for 500 Euros with seating and baggage upgrades for first week August. I'll let you know how they are in a review but I though I might turn some of you on to this as it appears to be a viable transport after the crossing.

Edited by WalkAboutTheWorld

We are flying back on WOW following the transatlantic. I'm trying to wrap my head around all the fees and bag requirements, but it is saving a TON on money and made the whole trip possible for us. I have friends who have said great things about WOW, similar to Southwest or Spirit in this country I think.

We looked at doing this but are flying out and sailing back to New York and the dates didn't work as well doing it this way round. We got a very good price from Thomas Cook airline direct Manchester to JFK. We'll definitely look at doing it in future so would be interested to hear your report and esp if anyone does the stopover.

WOW Air run a fleet of five aircraft; 3 are Airbus A320-200 and 2 are Airbus A321-200. LZMDC and LZMDD are about 5 years old and LZWOW is 10 years. The A321's are newer both under a year old. The hub is Reykjavik.

Regards John

Hello again:

Just so you know for future reference Cunard can book you on a flight for a very reasonable price. They work hand in hand with Virgin Atlantic and United and if for instance you are sailing Eastbound from New York on a flight that they have booked for you and the plane is delayed for any reason and gets into Heathrow late and holds you up they will "hold" the ship up for you. But that is only on a flight that they have booked for you. Besides, if you have booked your trip in advance and purchase Air yourself most likely you have to pay up front for the Air portion whereas if Cunard makes the Air arrangements you do not pay for the flight until you are making your final payment for the ship.

One way between the U.S. and Europe is usually ridiculously expensive. This airline sounds like a good alternative if you don't want to book your air through Cunard (which is much cheaper than booking yourself).

The prices are amazing but unfortunately there don't appear to be any business type seats, which for us, with back problems, are essential. We HAVE to be able to lie down. Shame.

After you buy your ticket you can upgrade to seats called XL and XXL which are supposed to be much larger and are right where business and first class would be. It doesn't appear that you can lie down in them though.

We flew back from a Cunard cruise earlier this year from New York to London. The flight was part of the package by my travel agent. The carrier

was Norwegian Air Shuttle it was a Dreamliner aircraft.

Norwegian Air Shuttle are very cheap also. Check out their prices as they are probably cheaper than Icelands Wow.

The downside for us was the fight was delayed and it was an overnight flight and we arrived in London too late to get our connection to Cyprus so had to spend two days in a hotel so it worked out a very expensive flight after all.:)

Hello again:

Just so you know for future reference Cunard can book you on a flight for a very reasonable price. They work hand in hand with Virgin Atlantic and United and if for instance you are sailing Eastbound from New York on a flight that they have booked for you and the plane is delayed for any reason and gets into Heathrow late and holds you up they will "hold" the ship up for you. But that is only on a flight that they have booked for you. Besides, if you have booked your trip in advance and purchase Air yourself most likely you have to pay up front for the Air portion whereas if Cunard makes the Air arrangements you do not pay for the flight until you are making your final payment for the ship.

Who do we contact to see about a Cunard-arranged flight for a westbound crossing? And, can FF miles and business class be arranged?

Who do we contact to see about a Cunard-arranged flight for a westbound crossing? And, can FF miles and business class be arranged?

If you used a travel agent, call them. If you booked directly with Cunard, call them. You can upgrade. I don't fly enough to know about using FF miles.:(

We flew back from a Cunard cruise earlier this year from New York to London. The flight was part of the package by my travel agent. The carrier

was Norwegian Air Shuttle it was a Dreamliner aircraft.

Norwegian Air Shuttle are very cheap also. Check out their prices as they are probably cheaper than Icelands Wow.

The downside for us was the fight was delayed and it was an overnight flight and we arrived in London too late to get our connection to Cyprus so had to spend two days in a hotel so it worked out a very expensive flight after all.:)

Out of Interest have Cunard started using Norwegian Air, instead of BA/AA or Virgin or was this flight organised separately by your travel agent ?

Edited by Pennbank

Out of Interest have Cunard started using Norwegian Air, instead of BA/AA or Virgin or was this flight organised separately by your travel agent ?

Hello Pennbank, This flight was booked as part of a fly cruise I booked with a travel agent. I will not be doing that again as we normally book our own flights. However, Norwegian Air Shuttle is very inexpensive NY/LONDON. Just a pity we do not live in the UK as our onward journey was delayed, but we made the most of our time on London.

Hello again:

We book our flights with Cunard and so far we have been booked on BA, AA and Emirates. Some of the flights have been cheaper than published airline prices and some a little more expensive, but all booked safe in the knowledge Cunard will look after us if flights have a problem.

Edited by Victoria2

Hello Pennbank, This flight was booked as part of a fly cruise I booked with a travel agent. I will not be doing that again as we normally book our own flights. However, Norwegian Air Shuttle is very inexpensive NY/LONDON. Just a pity we do not live in the UK as our onward journey was delayed, but we made the most of our time on London.

Thanks for clarifying